I'll have what she's having

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
Today I was doing the school run when two pretty blonde women cantered past me, on the verge by the A40, both riding and leading, probably exercising horses from one of the polo yards round here. Neither of them were wearing hats. I know that's dangerous and they were crazy etc but they both looked so happy and relaxed, like riding and leading on a busy main road was no big deal - I wish I felt like that about riding! I wish I could just hop on without a thousand 'what ifs' running through my brain! I don't want to be gung-ho or take pointless risks, I really feel like I am held back by a stupid lack of confidence.

Hahahaa, I know the types - and yeah, I've had happy riding envy syndrome!lol
When OH and I last visited Cornwall a few years back, we passed a girl with her horse and one being ponied off the side of hers - she was cool as cucumber, chatting away to a friend by the side of the road. Totally unfazed by both our noisy open top car and a tractor coming the other way:D We were both envious! How could she be so happy and relaxed???!!
Agree about the hats - but I do understand where you are coming from. Sadly I have no answers!

Reactions: squidsin
I know what you mean, but I do think that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have owned Ben for 4 years in November, and it's only really been this year that my nerves have faded away and I have turned into one of those happy riders. I still don't ride on roads or go on 'proper' hacks, and I am always kitted out in my hat, safety stirrups and body protector, but I have lost that nervous to the core feeling that I used to get. I can now happily ride anywhere on the yard (we have 250 acres of private off road hacking) and that is enough for me.

I think that it really does take time to form a proper bond with your horse and if you are naturally a nervous or cautious rider then it takes that little bit longer to get there. Have some faith in yourself - those riders will be you next year (although I am sure you will be wearing a hat).

I know what you mean, but I do think that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have owned Ben for 4 years in November, and it's only really been this year that my nerves have faded away and I have turned into one of those happy riders. I still don't ride on roads or go on 'proper' hacks, and I am always kitted out in my hat, safety stirrups and body protector, but I have lost that nervous to the core feeling that I used to get. I can now happily ride anywhere on the yard (we have 250 acres of private off road hacking) and that is enough for me.

I think that it really does take time to form a proper bond with your horse and if you are naturally a nervous or cautious rider then it takes that little bit longer to get there. Have some faith in yourself - those riders will be you next year (although I am sure you will be wearing a hat).
This is fantastic! Thanks!

I'm not naturally nervous or cautious but I've hit my head too many times not to wear a hat! I'm one of those carefree riders you see by the side of the road though, chatting away to my pony as he waits in a little lay by for the giant tractor to squeeze past :D

Reactions: squidsin and Ruskii
I know a man who owns a yard near here who does Point to Points. He exercises his Point to Pointers 2 at a time, one ridden one led, cantering on verges and trails. I do envy him. I keep thinking I should hop on Zak in the field and ride him to the yard bareback in his halter like I always did as a kid. But I can't bring myself to. Even in walk, let alone gallop!

Reactions: squidsin
I actually don't want to be like those two riders.
Riding and leading in canter by a busy main road without hats is a big deal, its pretty irresponsible wherever they are from.

Reactions: juliecwuk
When I was a kid helping out at a yard there was a summer field for all the fatties about half a mile from the yard. YO used to drive us to the field and then we'd catch whoever was needed for that day and ride them back, bridles on the ridden ones and head collars on the ones we were leading. Bareback. Along a main road. There was a long grassy hill we always cantered up. The only thing I can say is that we did wear hats! If my kids were doing that now I'd probably lose it! In fact in retrospect it was probably a good thing my mother never knew about it or my life with horses would have been short-lived indeed!

newrider.com