If you're interested in wounds.... a proud flesh story. Lots of gruesome pics - BANDAGE OFF!

Omg that has been quite a long scary road.
I'm so glad for the great progress.
You have done a wonderful job.

When I got Sunny..the first many years ago he had a big finger like protrusin at the top of his hoof that looked like a bad injury never treated and his legs were all scarred. Maybe bad wire cuts or something.
The vet cut the protrusion off and said leave it as is don't touch it and let it bleed and take its course.
I was horrified but did as told.
It bled for 2 days then healed up fine.
FORT HUACHUKA had a once in a lifetime snowfall that nite of 18 inches and the stables were pens with a small overhang on one corner no barns no stalls.
It looked horrifying with blood in the snow.
It was an older vet he did say it could bleed a couple days BUT LEAVE IT ALONE.
I think we were lucky to not have complications.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Well, today was the day the vet said I could take the bandage off....

...so I did.

Here's how it looked after a good clean and pulling away all the fur and dead skin that had grown into the hole:
IMG_0773.JPG

The proud flesh is probably about the width of my thumb, but not as thick. It's spongy, but not sensitive.

I sprayed it with silver spray as instructed and... just left it...

IMG_0774.JPG

Mattie didn't seem particularly relieved, but I am!

If it heals over there will be a mahoosive scar, but I don't think it should cause him a problem.

I hope his swollen fetlock starts to go down a bit now.

The original injury was 30 August, so just a shade under 3 months. I've just scrolled back through this thread and I can hardly believe how much it has shrunk and how well it has healed. Fingers crossed it goes on healing!

newrider.com