If you could book a ride anywhere, where would you go?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
UK only please.
Friend and I want to book ourselves something. Initially we want to book a local hack to get ourselves into the swing of riding something new.

But what have you guys done or seen?

There is archery I know.
Heavy horse days.
We are not interested in the beach. We have one.

I've only ever done trekking in South west Wales and cumbrian heavy horses, so have limited info, but the heavy horses were amazing as was the scenery, the trekking was awesome too but Im not even sure if the place still exists it was so long ago.

Thought of another - nearly went here once - was going to go with a friend, take our own horses to ride out and have a lesson or two each on their classically trained horses just to see what it was like to ride one, but before we got round to booking something went wrong with one of our horses ...

http://www.lusitanocymru.co.uk/

Reactions: newforest
Mine would either be something in the new forest or the Yorkshire dales. I went trekking in Yorkshire when I was about 12 and it was one of the best rides of my life. I remember cantering along the top of a massive hill, the views were simply breathtaking and I love the breed too. Absolutely amazing!

Are you looking to take your own or ride their horses?
I'd love to do a freerein Wales trip or the Highlands one @Bodshi posted but neither are cheap so I've never been, there is so much I can spend 4 figures on for my own horses and if I was going to spend that I'd go back to the TX ranch in Montana :)

Ride theirs :)

I do feel the Highland one is over priced for what it is. You could do that yourself couldn't you? Those who do endurance?

I too have been to Cumbrian Heavy Horses which is great. I've tried horse archery and jousting at the Centre for Horseback combat - great fun! I had a polo lesson which I loved (and I have no interest in ever actually playing polo. I tried a day's carriage driving at Cotswold Carriage driving - that is a good one if you have a non riding friend who wants to come. One of the best hacks I had was from Springhill farm near Oswestry - 2 hours without seeing a road, followed by archery at the same place

That looks amazing!

I know - my dream is to trek across mountains and moors, negotiating challenging terrain and taking in the scenery/watching the wildlife, preferably with the sun shining overhead, a gentle breeze blowing and the bees buzzing in the heather ... but finding out what it feels like to ride a Rolls Royce of the horse world would be nice too.

I would do the 7 day trail ride with Cumbrian Heavy horses. I went on their half day fell ride about 8 years ago, and it was one of the best rides of my life. Absolutely fantastic.

newrider.com