If you are horse hunting.....Ask this.............

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
And find something that you think may be 'the one' ALWAYS ask if they would give you access to the Horses medical history, at the end of the day if there is nothing to hide it shouldn't be a problem.....

Friend looked at a youngster, 4 year old on weekend and was assured no medical problems never seen Vet other than routine jabs etc, so put a deposit on subject to Vetting.

On getting home rang and asked if she could have access to medical history although appreciated she had been told 'no problems' seller said Yes.
Within 10 minutes she gets a call to say that a 'friend' had suddenly remembered that this Horse had tied up last year and needed urgent medical attention :biggrin: funny that you would 'forget' something like that as an Owner until you realised it was gonna come out anyway !!

She is now waiting for the deposit to be returned which seller has agreed!

Always worth asking....if they say No, suspect they have something to hide and if they say Yes, they may be honest or you may suddenly be landed with a whole story ! Lol

Another friend of mine always asks and it was at her suggestion that this friend did it......the one time we took somebodies word for it we were caught out big time with a horse with stifle problems and another time I was about to buy and Friend asked the question and it all came tumbling out that this Horse actually suffered with Hepatitis which tbh I knew nothing about in Horses at the time, I soon learnt from my own Vet lol and walked away ! It's a useful tool and if seller is genuine they shouldn't take offence. Xxxx

This particular 4 year old was in the Somerset/Devon area and friend couldn't understand why so cheap.......now she knows but would have appreciated the honesty up front! So beware. X

Last edited:
What do you mean by medical history? Would you ask for the vets phone number and ask them to confirm when he horse has been seen? This didn't even occur to me when I was looking for my horse.

What do you mean by medical history? Would you ask for the vets phone number and ask them to confirm when he horse has been seen? This didn't even occur to me when I was looking for my horse.

Yes exactly that MP.....Owner/seller has to give the Vet permission to do it so may take a day or so, but then you can ring and all is disclosed xxx

I would always still suggest a vetting because something could have happened since last seeing the Vet, unless of course the day before:wink:

Had we done this with Bromley and not been totally 'duped' by a seemingly innocent young blonde girl, lol, we would have known about his chronic stifle problem BEFORE she bought him........lol our fault cos we were totally taken in......despite thinking we were 'too old' for that :bounce::bounce:

Tbh it's a tool available to you as a Seller as well, if you think you have a genuine sale on your hands....something you could offer. Xxxx

Last edited:
I have to add that it is NOT of course standard procedure and I guess some Vets could be a bit precious as they may see themselves losing a vetting lol, but if the Owner agrees they have to do it. Xx

Maybe the more people use it the more 'standard' it will become :happy::smoke:

In the case of the Horse with hepatitis not only did I speak to my Vet he then liased with Langford Hospital, with owners permission, who had actually treated this horse, outcome was the same though and I walked away albeit slightly more knowledgable about the condition x

I guess if you are buying from a dealer it's a bit of a different ball game but a private seller who says Horse has no Medical issues it shouldn't be a problem:wink:

At the end of the day if they say 'NO' you then have to draw your own conclusions as to why they don't want you talking to the Vet.......it's 'just a question' but to my mind, one certainly worth asking xxx

Last edited:
By medical records you mean from the vet and not the passport? The passport is a total waste of paper.

When I had Freya I rang all the vets in her passport (at age 5 she'd had 8 homes before me). Once I faxed a copy of the passport over they were quite forthcoming in information as long as the previous owner was no longer still a client.

As fair lady says though, always pays to ask to ring vets for previous history. Will let you know straight away if they are hiding anything!

We have use three vets for different reasons - one you'd get everything from, the other you'd get allergies and the last would tell you she was vaccinated. It's never been intentionally done as pony would neve be sold so no benefit to me in that way but it would be fairly easy for me to rubbish a seller - would always suggest vetting too as that often gets a swiftly response or change in attitude!!

He may lose a vetting but he'll charge you for the time and disclosure. I wouod not use the vet the owner uses for a 5* vetting. I'd want my own vet or one the seller didn't use. So the vet isn't going to lose a vetting really

May save you a fortune in the long run.

Have tbh Wally the few times it's been done i.e.. The hepatitis horse, I wasn't charged a penny and in fact Langford actually rang me directly after speaking with my Vet.

That's not to say of course that some Vets wouldn't charge, however depending on what they charge could still be very useful. Vettings are great and would always recommend having one done, but that's 'on the day' and medical history could tell you a whole lot more.

All as I am saying really is that if you see a Horse that you are seriously considering buying just think about asking the question regarding Medical history disclosure:wink::happy:

newrider.com