If what could have happened in Cyprus happened here, what would you do?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
The government was going to take everyones hard earned savings to pay off some of the national debt, cue panic everywhere, and people withdrawing vast amounts of cash, which threatened the banks financially.
Would it be safer to sticking the bulk of your savings under the mattress? Or would you seek alternative ways of protecting your savings, as hiding more than several thousand would be a ball ache.. or on the verge of impossible in this day and age (can see a rise in burglary)..

I haven't got any savings!lol. I spent nearly all we had on doing this place up - ie, putting the post and rail in, the arena, the stables etc etc. I guess if I had any savings of substance I'd be thinking about spending them on something nobody could get their mitts on! I'd probably draw out what I had and put it towards another horse, finishing the fencing (still have two fields that need fencing), a tractor and bailer. What a cheek them taking folks money!

Mine has just been eaten by my horse (a holiday tradition, off work to relax for a week, animal gets ill.. usually of the Guinea Pig variety)..
It's scary though, knowing that if the cash runs out, all eyes are on the publics bank accounts to save the country..
And to think, they ignore our requests, yet expect us to keep the country above water :timebomb:

I don't have much in the way of savings either. I don't trust banks and never have.

I think its still best to invest in land and property. At least then if someone 'invades' you can physically fight them off rather than having the carpet pulled from underneath your feet.

I think if what happened in Cyprus happened here people would go 'ape'. I can not imagine your average 'Brit' sitting down and taking that one.

Well, I'd be ok. I do have some savings, but I've been paid in cash for the last 8 years, and only a bit of it goes in the bank. I am a money-under-the-mattress sort of gal... but you will have to go to 4 different countries and look under more than one mattress in each one before you've found it all :wink:

The whole point is that if it did happen, here or over there in the UK, there would be sod all we could do about it! Kidding ourselves that we live in a free and democratic society where this could never happen is naive to say the least.

You just watch how quickly they would lock the doors to our banks if the economy does go pear shaped!:frown:

Well, I'd be ok. I do have some savings, but I've been paid in cash for the last 8 years, and only a bit of it goes in the bank. I am a money-under-the-mattress sort of gal... but you will have to go to 4 different countries and look under more than one mattress in each one before you've found it all :wink:

Yes, its definitely a good idea not to put all your eggs in one basket!

The whole point is that if it did happen, here or over there in the UK, there would be sod all we could do about it! Kidding ourselves that we live in a free and democratic society where this could never happen is naive to say the least.

You just watch how quickly they would lock the doors to our banks if the economy does go pear shaped!:frown:

I agree with this.

I have savings. They all have 4 legs, a head and a tail. I just have to hope they don't damage a leg, head or tail lol!! :giggle:

I suppose if it did happen here we would all be affected in some way as these days everyone is paid into banks.

Every thing would go into complete chaos, everyone would be running around with IOU's:frown: Mad!

newrider.com