If I went horse shopping..£?

Widget

Mar 29, 2004
Weston super mare
Visit site
For a schoolmaster/mistress type. 16HH upwards not too old (maybe 15 max) and def not too young. Not fussed about type or colour although would be looking at something TBx or similar, not too heavy. Been there and done it type to do hacking, schooling, XC, SJ, funrides etc. Competing to a novice level.

What sort of budget would a person need? Lets assume without tack to simplify things as the quality would affect the price! And would a better horse with a minor vice or injury be better than a lesser horse who is vice and injury free?(Thinking of the ones no longer up to serious competing but fine to take it a bit easier)

depends where you are tbh, £4000 + for vice/blemish free but if you will take one needing work you can get one on the cheap

seen some nice looking ones that have been around the £3800+ marker:)

I'm guessing its not for you, seeing as you've just put Ru out on loan for financial reasons and also guessing you aren't selling Jas.

Genuine schoolmistress's/masters are few and far between and you'll pay for it.

Cool.....

Ru sounds like she is really happy in her new home....I'm sure she'll be ok with her room going to someone else:p

It really depends on the age and ability. For example my friend recently tried a local horse, stunning paces, tidy jump, handsome gelding but was 15 years old! He was priced at around £3,000 ive heard but as u can immagine he would have been worth twice as much if he was say 6/7? if you are willing to buy an older horse, considering its fit and healthy then maybe thats the way to go?! more experienced horse, cheaper but still has ability :)
thats my oppinion anyways but im sure many could argue :)
My big horse was a bargain, ex-sj, chuckd owner off, thought he was mad, left him in a field for a year and sold him on for £800 :D hes now a big gentleman, loveable, amazing jump, improving on the flat! intelligent and great character!
Bargains are out there to be had so just keep your eyes peeled!! :D

newrider.com