Idiot's guide to horses?

NVA

Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
OK - I think I need some help. I had a lesson with a new instructor on Saturday (went really well:) ), and after the warm up she called me into the middle and said "tell me about the horse you're riding...let's start with a description". Well, I got as far as "chestnut mare, about 14.3" and that's about it. I certainly didn't get the "thoroughbred / arab type cross, slab sided, not up to weight, not with too much bone" that I was supposed to get, and I'm not even sure I know what all of that means. I see all the posts/photos on here about Welsh Section D's, Arabs, warmbloods etc and feel really thick as they all just look like horses to me (sorry - I can just about tell what a Shetland looks like). Does anyone know of an idiot's guide to horse breeds that can point out the differences to me so I can start to identify them myself.

I know this is probably more of a general question but thought I'd post it on here as I'll probably get howls of laughter from some of the younger members about being stupid!

Thanks
N

p.s. if fair~filly is reading this: Lucky (who was looking rather gorgeous on the other side of the school) was pointed out as being "well sprung"...I get the impression that's the opposite of slab sided??

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/horses/

That's a really great site with breeds from all over the world and they have photos and descriptions for most of the breeds there.

When you toggle through them all, you'll be able to see how some breeds are related, and how people can become confused (even when you've been around horses and breeding forever) with breeds.

For example, with Tennessee Walking Horses, there are "types" within the breed. There are some that really look like Saddlebreds, there are some that really look like Morgans and there are some that even look like Standardbreds (pacer racers). These breeds are sometimes "lumped" together in a family because they have tendancies to look like one another.

Lucky (who was looking rather gorgeous on the other side of the school) was pointed out as being "well sprung"...I get the impression that's the opposite of slab sided??
Yep. But more importantly, a well-sprung horse generally is considered to have more "lung room" inside the rib cage, and more capable of developing more wind. This is good.

Best regards,
Harry

:) Yes, I'm here & I still can't believe we were in the same school at the same time & still didn't say hello..!! (maybe on Sat..)
Thank's for the nice comments about Lucky.

Lucky is a native...so he's equipped to withstand the British winter, he gets a thick coat, well feathered legs..very long thick mane & tail. Yes he has a nice round barrel shape too....he can live on fresh air & doesn't mind the cold. He's also coloured, which is quite common in Irish horses.

Aurora, who you were riding is a finer (slender legs & chest most noticeably) she has a fine thin coat & feels the cold. She needs more food to keep warm in winter & is rugged as well.

I think it's really good that you're not just being instructed in riding, but also educated about the horse you are riding.....it really is a great yard isn't it..??

Come & say hello on Saturday, I'll be there all day.

F~Fxxx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Horses are Us© ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by NVA
Thanks - Echo64, that's a great website although it will take me a while to get through all the different types!

Sorry about that. I know there are a lot, and there are quite a few that no one has contact with, too. :p I just thought it might help a bit when it comes to looking at breeds of horses and guessing what they are, though sometimes it doesn't work. There's an ArabxQuarter Horse at the stable, and he looks like he's full Morgan!

I also completely forgot about the actual Horses For Dummies book...http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...gy_img_2/102-9343732-4768915?v=glance&s=books

It's actually a very good book, with all sorts of information, and I highly recommend it for brand new riders - not too informative on breeds, though they mention the "basics" in depth and have color photos in the center.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._books_2/102-9343732-4768915?v=glance&s=books is also very good :)

newrider.com