IDEAS TO STRENGTHEN LEGS, WORKING HORSE.

LyndaB

Jul 1, 2017
South Australia
Hello:
Well have had five lessons now and am told that I am getting better each lesson. I am learning (re learning) on an 18 year old horse, lovely, but very stubborn and lazy. Though I think he is very nice, I find it hard to kick him on to get going. Am sure that part of this is also my confidence. Today my coach told me that I have to make him trot around the arena, one loop, I did though he stopped at times and wanted to go where he wanted to go. (I had to fight to make him go where I wanted to go)
Second half of lesson was better, trotted all around arena, managed to go through cones. Even when I was asked to trot over a pole very slightly off ground - he jumped it but it was very low, and I was quite excited about being able to do that. Our trotting at the end I pushed him on and he started to canter - another first for me.
How do I get stronger in giving leg messages? Buddy can be strong willed, not wanting to go where I want him to go but I want to show that I can do this.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
cheers.
Lynda.

Less is more for me, Belle was very lazy and hard to get going when I bought her, but I found that if I asked with my leg and got no imediate reaction, I would give my boot a smack with the whip and if that didn't work she would then get a tap with the whip, she will go off a voice command now but it took her a very short time before she learned that when I ask with my leg I expect her to move pronto.
Sometimes some horses know if you are not committed to the aid and will use that to get out of doing anything, what does your RI say regarding aides? I would far rather use a tap with a whip than constantly kicking or keep kicking harder.

Reactions: LyndaB
Thank you @Kite_Rider and @Skib. My RI has got me using a whip, I just need to get firmer, stronger. They say I am improving each lesson, I have found some exercises that I am going to do and hope that this will help me. Thank you. :)

newrider.com