Ideas for doing something nice for/with my pony.........

orbvalley

Jan 15, 2008
France, South
So, I bought Cocaïne despite lots of advice on here not to ref an "injury/abcess":oops:

Anyway, she is a 3 and a half year old Connemara and very feisty!!
My current weekly programme is to hack one day, riding lesson in the school one day, lunge one day, and do something nice for her only one day.
I currently can't get to the stables to see her more than 4 times a week.

So the question is - what can I do on the "something nice for her only" day? I will do in hand hacks/munching with her but can't think of much else at the moment as she's quite a difficult little mare sometimes!
ie : she doesn't enjoy being groomed, she doesn't appear to like "playing" in the school loose with me (unless carrots are involved:p) in fact theres nothing she likes doing with me apart from eating:rolleyes:.

Any ideas please as I need to build a relationship with her that won't involve her being told off:confused:

I think she will like being groomed by you in the end, it took my mare a while to enjoy it. Having said that, Chloe still doesn't go mad for it and given the chance will take the brush out of your hand!lol
I think it's lovely that you're thinking of something nice to do together to just spend time. Just hanging about together is time well spent.
Hopefully you'll get lots of suggestions on here. Can we see pictures please?:D

Does anyone think putting surprise carrots in the school for her to find (in hand or loose but not being schooled) would be a good idea to help her see it as a happy place or a stupid idea that would encourage her to "hunt for goodies" when I do school her.......

Reactions: Trewsers
She is gorgeous. You could try some essential oil therapy for her, with her. Horses typically enjoy peppermint oil, German Chamomile oil, Lavender, Yarrow, Bergamot and Rose Otto - there are lots of others you can try but those are good to start with. She may be curious about the smells, want to inhale, want to lick the oil from your hand, or she may turn her head away (meaning she doesn't like the smell). All the essential oils have a function - here's a guide http://www.naturallyanimals.co.uk/naturallyanimalsshop/cat_597141-Essential-Oils-and-Absolutes.html - but when Ziggy was sick he loved his essential oil treatments and I still use them as a relaxing, enjoyable treat for us both.

You could try some essential oil therapy for her, with her. Horses typically enjoy peppermint oil, German Chamomile oil, Lavender, Yarrow, Bergamot and Rose Otto - there are lots of others you can try but those are good to start with. She may be curious about the smells, want to inhale, want to lick the oil from your hand, or she may turn her head away (meaning she doesn't like the smell). All the essential oils have a function - here's a guide http://www.naturallyanimals.co.uk/naturallyanimalsshop/cat_597141-Essential-Oils-and-Absolutes.html - but when Ziggy was sick he loved his essential oil treatments and I still use them as a relaxing, enjoyable treat for us both.

Thank you @Jane&Ziggy I feel a christmas present coming on:)

Reactions: AliciaA
Maybe I'm a bit mean but to me the days off are her days, enjoying being out with her buddies :D doing something to build your bond is a great idea for day 4 but if you really want it to be about her only it probably just means leaving her out ;)

Reactions: orbvalley
Maybe I'm a bit mean but to me the days off are her days, enjoying being out with her buddies :D doing something to build your bond is a great idea for day 4 but if you really want it to be about her only it probably just means leaving her out ;)

I agree entirely @Jessey
She lives out 24/7 with her pals, a herd of about 7 at the moment. They have acres of field and pasture and stream to play around in and will soon be moving onto organic hay:rolleyes::D

Reactions: Jessey
@orbvalley she is so gorgeous! Does have a naughty look about her too!

She is gorgeous. You could try some essential oil therapy for her, with her. Horses typically enjoy peppermint oil, German Chamomile oil, Lavender, Yarrow, Bergamot and Rose Otto - there are lots of others you can try but those are good to start with. She may be curious about the smells, want to inhale, want to lick the oil from your hand, or she may turn her head away (meaning she doesn't like the smell). All the essential oils have a function - here's a guide http://www.naturallyanimals.co.uk/naturallyanimalsshop/cat_597141-Essential-Oils-and-Absolutes.html - but when Ziggy was sick he loved his essential oil treatments and I still use them as a relaxing, enjoyable treat for us both.

This is really interesting - I have never heard of Essential Oil Therapy before!

I think that you need to find a way to work with your horse so that all your activities are enjoyable for her. If you are 'telling her off' a lot when you are hacking, lunging or having your lesson, then perhaps you are asking too much of her at this young age. She is only 3 and a half. At this age I would only really be hacking and doing very light schooling to install the basics, I wouldn't be lunging or working her hard at all. On the days that you don't ride her you can walk her out in-hand, play some games in the school (horse agility and de-spooking exercises are great) and generally do anything which improves her manners and understanding. Horses like consistency and learn by repetition.

What happens with her in the 3 days that you don't go to the yard?

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
My pony doesn't really like being groomed. In fact she is quite stand offish and isn't touchy- feely at all. She puts up with me touching her and lets me touch her anywhere and everywhere, but should anyone else come near her, then the ears go back.
So grooming is a necessity not a treat. However, she does love her withers being scratched. That is our idea of bonding. I scratch her withers whilst standing in front of her and she grooms my back. If she manages to pull my tee shirt out of my jodhpurs and get to bare skin, all the better as far as she is concerned.
So maybe don't ask your girl to do 'human' things, why not do 'horsey' things with her?

I'm with Jessey if it's for her only then left in the field with her pals.
I also agree with MP About not doing as much with her. Tbh if she were mine she would be having down time now to mature more mentally and physically out with her friends at 3.5 years old. That Nealas age and I haven't even sat on her and i wouldn't lunge,puts a lot of stress on joints. We do basic in hand stuff and go for walks in hand to get her used to things and see the world but all very laid back. Daily handling basics like feet etc.
Also because of her injury/absess I think time turned away would also benefit her,that would have been physically and mentally draining on her.
She is very cute :D

I think that you need to find a way to work with your horse so that all your activities are enjoyable for her. If you are 'telling her off' a lot when you are hacking, lunging or having your lesson, then perhaps you are asking too much of her at this young age. She is only 3 and a half. At this age I would only really be hacking and doing very light schooling to install the basics, I wouldn't be lunging or working her hard at all. On the days that you don't ride her you can walk her out in-hand, play some games in the school (horse agility and de-spooking exercises are great) and generally do anything which improves her manners and understanding. Horses like consistency and learn by repetition.

What happens with her in the 3 days that you don't go to the yard?

Up until now I have been lunging her once a week for 15mins max and one hack a week with company of one of her friends. Other times are visits just for her. When she is not with me she is out 24/7 with her pals and can do as she pleases. Schooling is only just about to begin this week and will again be for 15mins max with nothing more than responding to the aides she already knows.
It is lunging and grooming where I find myself telling her off. Lunging because she has taken to turning round in the blink of an eye:eek: and grooming because I just don't think she likes it!

I did have a nice day with her yesterday though and found something she liked:D We went for an in hand walk and munch and "jumped some logs together", I could almost see her smiling!

PS: She was born and brought up at the farm/livery where she is now so she is very comfortable with the rural exterior:)

Last edited:
When I take hank for walks he loves going down to the loggy bit and charging over them :D he quite enjoys going for picnics too and he also likes going into the more suburban areas to meet people and investigate road works etc, anything new is interesting for him :D Jess isn't particularly tactile until the summer when the flies are out and then she loves a belly scratch, I tend to not fuss over grooming her too much the rest of the time, she tolerates it but its not something she seeks out. If Cocaine is in to food perhaps doing something like clicker training might be something she would enjoy and could teach her to enjoy contact more?

newrider.com