Ideas for bitting

diamonddogs

Apr 14, 2008
Badiddlyboing, Odawidaho
I decided to give Kels a go with a bit yesterday, three weeks after her dental work.

Even though the dentist warned me that her issues with a bit were all in her head now her mouth's been fixed, I was really disappointed and disheartened that she's worse than ever - she threw her head all over the place when I tried to put her bit in (I was advised by the dentist to undo the cheek piece and feed it into her mouth rather than bridle her the conventional way). I got it in eventually, but we were both thoroughly upset by then, and getting on was impossible - her tongue was over the bit as usual, but now she's just fixing her neck and walking off, and there's no chance of stopping her. At least before she'd stop. :(

I guess the best way to go is back to the beginning with a training bit, but I've got a huge vet bill to pay (she was sedated for the dentist) and can't afford to buy one till payday, so I need some ideas to help her accept the bit without her getting upset again, either things I can try with her bits or just ways to get her to make friends with it, even if it doesn't actually go in her mouth yet. I'm thinking about wrapping the bit with an apple flavour Kelloggs Winder, or dipping it in molasses or treacle.

I've got a ported kimblewick, a Happy Mouth pelham, and a French link snaffle. Which would be the kindest to start with? Or should I just leave it until I can get hold of a training bit? Daft question - is it OK to ride her in a training bit?

She's absolutely fine with her bitless, as it's quite new so she has no bad associations with it - she'll put her head in it without fuss, and I've lunged her in it in side reins - but as I've not ridden her in it yet I'm very wary, specially as my confidence is two notches off rock bottom at the moment.

tricky one, im confused in what you said abt training bit, but i think you mean one thats made of rubber. ive a training bit but its a kk losenge loose ring snaffle.not rubber. did u try putting a metal one in when you were explaining how difficult it was? its hard to offer a solution that will work for you but lets say that if you know that no discomfort will come you have to show her this, and try to get her to accecpt this.i would get the bridle on as best you can let her get the toung over the bit and ignor her rants.ride in an enclosed space if you worried abt control.if she learns that its not uncomfortable about haveing the bit in, then she will let you put it in in the first place.i wld go for a rubber bit the french link wld be good,but happy mouth is softer in a way,they need replaceing reg to avoid the sharp plastic if the horse choose on it.i personally wouldnt ride in any bit yet until shes excepted it on the ground.some things are hard to undo theres no rush so take your time.i deff wouldnt use a heavey bit like a kimblewick or any sort.or try lending a bit from a friend a rubber one perhaps.

I assume that the problem was teeth causing ulcers on her cheeks or was it wolf teeth? As she had issues in a headcollar I suspect the former

I am not sure that 3 weeks would be enough for the sores to heal properly and would personally be working in a bitless bridle for a couple of months. We have a pony who had a mouth injury years ago and still is not easy to bridle in a bitted bridle (he normally now goes in a loose hackamore).

When you start I would be using the happy mouth as a straight bar with rein on the snaffle ring and no curb. Not sure what you mean as a training bit though

Hi almonds - I meant the kind of bit with the keys on, but a rubber one sounds good as well. I don't mind adding to my bit collection!

I'm tempted to try the Happy Mouth with the reins on the snaffle ring with no lipstrap or curb. What does everyone think?

As you say, I've got all the time in the world to sort her out. If it takes a year, then what's a year out of a lifetime?!

I assume that the problem was teeth causing ulcers on her cheeks or was it wolf teeth? As she had issues in a headcollar I suspect the former.

Yes, it was ulcers, or at least sores. There were a couple of bumps right at the back where she'd obviously bitten herself, but the dentist said that was probably nothing to do with the teeth problems. Understandable, as I do it all the time! Then it swells, so I bite it again, so it swells even more...!

She's perfect in a headcollar as well as bitless (leading and lungeing) now. It only took her a day or two to settle after the work was done. You might recall I'd had problems leading her back to the field on occasion, but she'll lead perfectly now, even on these dark mornings when it's raining and windy.

I am not sure that 3 weeks would be enough for the sores to heal properly and would personally be working in a bitless bridle for a couple of months. We have a pony who had a mouth injury years ago and still is not easy to bridle in a bitted bridle (he normally now goes in a loose hackamore).

When you start I would be using the happy mouth as a straight bar with rein on the snaffle ring and no curb...

I was quite concerned that her bitless would hurt her cheeks as it's a crossunder, but she didn't seem to have any issues with it when I lunged her, and she was happy on both reins after the initial minute or two of the rubbing-head-against-foreleg. I'm sure she'll be fine - it's just me and my blooming nerves!

Thanks for confirming about the Happy Mouth - I've been toying with that idea. Maybe I'll give her another three or four weeks? I'm not desperate to ride, as we have loads of fun with our groundwork, but having a choice would be nice!

A key bit will probably encourage her to put her tongue over even more.

Oh, would it? :(

Why don't they just believe us when we tell them it's going to be OK!

And perhaps - might sound strange, but cover bt in honey and put in an empty feed bucket - so she ca play with it for a while and stuff - she associates it with nice taste, but its not being "forced" in her mouth and in that bucket its not hurting her - if you leave it overnight, she will get tempted by it in her own time (assuming she doesnt have adlib hay or out at grass), try different coatings - and try the happy mouth first perhaps as it will be less cold to lick.

Once she is happy to "clean it" in the bucket, progress to offering it from the hand, and then to putting it in mouth (without bridle) and then with bridle - only putting on and taking straight off and rewarding - rather than leave her standing in it... Gradually she should build up good associations with it when in her eyes its not being "forced" in to her mouth and she realises it wont hurt like it used too.

That sounds like a plan! A bit messy, granted, but have you seen the pic of her after a night with a Horslyx? :D

The Happy Mouth seems like the bit of choice for Kelly, so I think I'm going to work with it rather than a metal bit(s) for the time being, as I haven't even shown it to her yet, so she might be a bit more accommodating towards it - again, no bad associations.

As I said, no desperate rush to ride, specially with the weather as it is, so if it takes the whole winter to put her right I'm not bothered. And I've still got the bitless if I want to ride.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! :)

newrider.com