Ideal weight range

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Do any of you know what the ideal weight range for a 14.2 Sec D is? The chunky workman type, not the leggier lighter sort. Or where I could look to find out. I know condition scoring is the way to go but I'd like to have a rough target weight too.

Anyone? Or any Sec D owners who can tell me what their's weigh & how they look at that weight?

I have the same problem as you, I know my boy's body score but don't know his ideal weight range. He is 15.2hh and is leggy but also chunky and deep through his girth. He currently weighs 515kg. I would presume he shou;dn't be any bigger than 550kg but not entirely sure.

I know a 14.2hh cob who is 450ish kg but that's a leggy type. How much does your weigh?

ETA picture of him at 515kg (he has plenty of winter coat as is out 24/7 unrugged)

007.jpg

Last edited:
I wish mine looked that slim xRobyn. He's 480kg which I think is far too much for him. He's currently very unfit - backed him last summer but he had all the winter off & is only just back in work - so has very little muscle. He's got a huge belly but no apple bum or fat pad above his tail, a bit more neck than I think he should have given his lack of training (although it's not a real crest) & a fatty sheath. No sign of ribs! I'm guessing I'd like him to be around 430kg? Sadly he seems to live off fresh air - I'm now soaking his hay overnight as well as restricting his grazing & gradually upping his work but so far nothing seems to be shifting.

Believe me I completly know where you are coming from. 10 months ago my lad was obese and got lami. He was stabled and it has taken 10 months for him to get where he is. He's also had winter off (I'm at uni and only come home once every 3 weeks :() so is lacking muscle tone and is unfit, bless him.

He was 215cm (girth) which is 660kg+ and is now 194cm which is about 515kg. Even when my boy was losing weight he had a massive neck and front, it took the harsh winter weather to get him to lose it, and he doesn't exactly have a tiny front now lol.

By the way, my lad had been wintered out rugless, hard food less and was out all day every day and managed to come out of winter fat. the spring grass just tipped him over the edge :(

Flippin heck - 660kg!!!!! My 16.3 ID is currently 665kg on my tape & he's got a little bit more to come off, no offence but your's must have been huge!

I'm currently stabling at night & they're on a small patch, part of which has no grass at all and the rest is poor. However there's a limit on how little I can keep them on as Jim (the ID) starts getting quite unpleasant with Little Un if there's a shortage of food & space but I can't split them up because Jim stresses & colics :rolleyes:.

Flippin heck - 660kg!!!!! My 16.3 ID is currently 665kg on my tape & he's got a little bit more to come off, no offence but your's must have been huge!

He was, no offence taken :) The funny thing, is I know of a mare who is also big built and stands at 15.2hh and on a weight tape she weighs about 650kg but to look at her she looks in fab condition, not at all fat! Strange how horses of the same breed/type can weigh different amounts and look good at different weights.

I would say somewhere between 420kg to 460kg would be about right if you are using a weightape, we have two 14.2hh Welshes, one that is 430kg and looks a little slim and one at 460kg that looks fine but is heavier built. Pics would help :D
(I posted a weight thread about my Welsh Cob yesterday which shows him at 480kg, I'm aiming for 450kg, He has 9 inches of bone and is 14.3hh).

Oh blimey! My Welsh D weighed570 when he went into the RVC last year for colic surgery!!!!:eek: He now weighs about 535 and I'm desperate to get it down more..he's out in day on starvation in at night..when he goes out permanently it will still be in starvation but a bit of hay - maybe Bailey's local over summer.

There are pics of him in this section under 'condition score' you can see there! Apple shaped bum and all!

Now you're making me feel as though I'm being a bit mean on Little Un - I'll try to get some pics in the next few days & you can see what you think. He looks fat to me though.

I weightaped him again this morning & he was about 470kg so he's lost a little bit but I think there's still a fair bit to go!

I did Molly today, she is coming out at 432kg although I don't think the tapes are very accurate. I'd guess she was heavier than that!!

She is 14.2hh Welsh D x - this pic was taken a month ago and she has been muzzled since so think she has dropped a tiny bit since.

March09.jpg

my sec D is 15hh and comes up as 476kg on the weight tape. He has been exactly the same weight since August last year. I have been trying to get it down a bit. I think he would be better somewhere around 450 but it just won't budge :mad:

Just posted pics on my confo thread of Phil when he was probably about 620kg, far too heavy for him but those pics were taken mid-diet.

Hmm - interesting thread - i always think it would be so helpful to have a figure saying your horse should weigh between x and y lbs.

Rosie is a 14'1 Haflinger, so meant to be fairly stocky but at 470 kgs she is clearly overweight. Conditioned scored she comes out 4-5 (more 5 if Im honest)

At this weight last year the vet recommended she lose 100kgs! I muzzled her recently but think it was a little too early and she got diarrheoa so I took it off for a few days but she has visibly put on even more this last week so its back on again and Ill monitor. I think generally we have got used to seeing 'big' horses so a 'normal' horses looks skinny - 5 point conditon scoring is the only real way to go :D

At this weight last year the vet recommended she lose 100kgs! I muzzled her recently but think it was a little too early and she got diarrheoa so I took it off for a few days but she has visibly put on even more this last week so its back on again and Ill monitor. I think generally we have got used to seeing 'big' horses so a 'normal' horses looks skinny - 5 point conditon scoring is the only real way to go :D

My boy lost over 120kg from april/may-january! I was amazed.

This site is good for doing a more in-depth body score:

http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/conditionscore.shtml

newrider.com