Ideal weight for my pony, his new diet plan!!

Laura2184

Mar 1, 2005
Cheshire
www.cheshiretackroom.co.uk
Hi,

Right, I'm sick of my pony being fat and unfit! Haven't been able to ride much over winter at all due to the weather and having a rubbish boggy school.

I have just created an excercise plan for him which will track his weight and excercise for the next 14 weeks, this will also keep me motivated!

So, my question is what weight are we aiming for roughly? Not sure what he is now but will check tonight with a weigh tape, I will also condition score him.

He is a 14'2 hairy cob thats about all I know about his breeding, heres a recent pic. You can't tell his weight as he's covered by an excercise sheet but to give you a rough idea..
frontshot.jpg

Between 420-440.

I used to look after a 14.1hh MW cob who weighed 400kg, and the vet stated that she was at the perfect weight. This might help to guide you.

What does he currently weigh?

BTW good for you for getting motivated and being organised! :D

x

I agree weight wise with the others. Great pone and LOVELY feet !!

He should be able to live off fresh air. With natives a good guide is a possible apple bottom and a cresty neck. They tend to be barrel shaped anyway so I always look at bums and necks !! oohh makes me sound like a perve !!!:)

Puzzles, thanks for that, Im yet to measure him but I'm sure I'll probably think twice about posting his actual weight! :eek:

Littlepony, thanks for the complement on the feet, they aren't too bad considering they used to look like this! :eek:
IMG_0940.jpg

This is a pic of him from a few years ago, he's a bit younger here which you can tell, I think he has filled out a bit since this pic but this is the sort of weight I'm aiming for.. do you agree?
IMG_0403.jpg

I've weigh taped him tonight and he's 569 kg :eek: BUT I've just looked an ideal weight chart and it says a 14'2 medium weight cob should be around the 500 mark. He may look a slimmer build to you guys in the pics but trust me he's a chunky lad :D

So that's 69kg he has to lose before spring, if not more. That's 10 stone!!!

I've also condition scored him and I have rated him at a 4, 4 and 4 which makes an average of FAT but at least he's not obese :rolleyes:

So now we got a goal to work to!

PS... please can someone reply as over 90 of you have read but haven't commented.. :( :D

Sorry Laura - I am here now. Been a hectic couple of days !! OK ...

Feet are great - what a transformation. The second piccy lokks like a different chap !! That would be a lovely weight. A year ago I got 60kgs off a Shetland pony by soaking her hay, upping exercise and using NAF Slimline supplement. Her crest has gone and she looks amazing - I would post pics but I am a technophobe !!

Will read up on pic posting now and see if I can do a before and after !!

i would still say he is a little porky ing the second pic as well, however not health worryingly so.

my 15.2hh horse( eventhough not a heavyweight cob weighs 480) so i really wouldnt expect him to weigh anymore than that being 14.1hh.

My 14.1 comes up at 532kg on the tape so she needs to lose some weight too. With all this horrid weather I havent even been out on our small hacks and it seems harsh to cut her hay down but I have put it into nets (which I hate ) and stopped myself from throwing in a bit extra which is generally a slice or two.I have also decided to phase her pony nuts out and just feed her anti lam and a few carrots. I will have to make myself go on longer hacks when the weather gets better..well thats the plan! We will have to compare notes on our progress.

my hw cob is 480. she is only 14.2 but had to measure her bone to reveal she is a hw!

DSC02420.jpg

DSC02432.jpg

newrider.com