Ideal Saddles

Lot1983

Oct 16, 2006
The Cotswolds
Thoughts? I've found one on ebay that I think will be suitable for Bailey, from what I gather they can be adjusted by saddlers?

Saddle looks nice and is in budget...

Why don't you ask Poohsmate - he will let you know what is best for the horses conformation etc.?

I don't think they're all adjustable; my Heather Moffett GP was, because of its serge lining (that's for sale, by the way), but my Ideal has a leather lining, so it isn't.

I too don't think they are adjustable. I had an Ideal Grandee and an Ideal Highland and Cob for many years. Neither were adjustable as far as i was aware.

I have an Ideal Jessica Dressage saddle and it is lovely. Just had it refitted to new boy as he is my dressage boy and Mr C is more for fun now and has his GP.

Actually had a comment on the bottom of a dressage test stating 'nice saddle'

Depends how old it is, The newer ones can be adjusted quite a lot, older ones you need to go a bit steady!! i have adjusted loads of ideals, with the my saddle company machine iv'e had for 11 years..Seems like everyone has jumped on the bandwagon now, and you can by different makes of machines but all pretty much based on the one i use.:biggrin:

Depends how old it is, The newer ones can be adjusted quite a lot, older ones you need to go a bit steady!! i have adjusted loads of ideals, with the my saddle company machine iv'e had for 11 years..Seems like everyone has jumped on the bandwagon now, and you can by different makes of machines but all pretty much based on the one i use.:biggrin:

It does say on the advert that it's been adjusted from medium to medium wide.

This is the saddle:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221109069...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1288

This is the pony:
BayLeaf2.jpg

BayLeaf5.jpg

Crap pictures to tell with!

The only ThIng I'd say is would the width be suitable fOr her?

ThInk Buffys is a medium wide but she is quite a narrow little thing. Can't see she shape of your little lady but don't NF's tend to
Be quite wide?

I would never buy a saddle on e bay as I would always want the perfect fit. I don't think that you can get this unless a decent saddler comes out to advise and fit a saddle which they recommend. It's a big gamble to buy something and hope that it fits.

I have no idea if it will fit or not but what about maybe saving up some more if you can and look around for a saddlery who has second hand leather saddles and will come out and fit one?
I was surprised how cheap myn turned out be in the end and a good service.
He came out found a saddle what suited my horse,then he reflocked it for my horse and I'm taking it back again soon to have it topped up and also he will come back out and recheck everything is fine after the flocking is done.290 all in for a albian (don't know if that's how to spell it) saddle in good condition and all the services included.
I was expecting around 600 mark for this kinda service.so was over the moon when he told me the price
Just might be worth looking into

He came out found a saddle what suited my horse,then he reflocked it for my horse and I'm taking it back again soon to have it topped up and also he will come back out and recheck everything is fine after the flocking is done.290 all in for a albian (don't know if that's how to spell it) saddle in good condition and all the services included.
I'd have to question an Albion in good condition, fitting and reflocking for under £300!

I've just sold my Albion GP for £480 though ebay as I needed a quick sale!!! That was a bargain for someone!

ETA: Budget for new saddle is about £400 but the saddler I want to use doesn't hold a large range of 2nd hand.

Last edited:
I'd have to question an Albion in good condition, fitting and reflocking for under £300!

I've just sold my Albion GP for £480 though ebay as I needed a quick sale!!! That was a bargain for someone!

ETA: Budget for new saddle is about £400 but the saddler I want to use doesn't hold a large range of 2nd hand.

Can show you a pic of the saddle if you like :) buts that what I got it for off the Saddler I use.
He might of gave me a god deal we got two saddles from him as my partner got one for her old loan horse at the time in fact that was an ideal event I think he said.
We payed 600 in total for the pair.
Shir I got the receipt some were I'll have a look and see what he charged.

Ebay or not to ebay....

I consulted a local Master Saddler who promised he would bring out 20 or so saddles for me to try.... in the end he brough 6, none fit and as I did not buy any he charged me £50 for the process. He did advise me that Max was a 17" m to m/w and that a hunter cut would suit him. After criticising my pony and calling him decrepit off he went He did also promise to let me know when he got a suitble one in stock - I'm still waiting.

So I started buying saddles on ebay. I had 3 saddles which were completely unsuitable - I sold 2 of them at a surplus and one was so bad I got a refund. By this point I was over £65 in surplus! Then I found a wide Ideal 17 inch english leather pony saddle for £70 asking price. I was the only biddder, so it was mine.

It didnt fit - but yardmates were having the saddler out (another one) and she reckoned she could reflock it, which she did, and it fits him perfectly. Reflocking cost £60, so my Ideal saddle cost me a total of £65!

Sorry its long, but I love my Ideal saddle, and I love saddle buying on eBay!

I haven't heard the thing about serge saddles being adjustable and leather not...however, as far as I, and many other fitters are concerned, a traditional laminate tree IS adjustable as others have said, a small amount, and a few times, until the saddle gets too old. I will happily adjust saddles up to a size narrower, and usually up to about 2 sizes wider, but narrowing and widening the same saddle is the highest risk thing to do so it must be done with great care by someone who knows what they are doing!

newrider.com