Ideal Saddles

I'd always been told they were fairly good saddles for the price as long as they fit your horse.

Otto's saddle is an Ideal. It fits him very well and he has no problems with it. It's very comfy for the rider too. :)

There are many different Ideal saddles.

My RI has Ideal Podhajsky Dressage (training) saddles for her horses. I have ridden happily in them for years. Very comfy. So I am prejudiced in their favour. They are fine to hack out on too. Some of her livery clients have them and if I ever get a horse, I'd probably do the same, provided they fitted the horse.

I have cleaned them many times and the leather is nice and, though the ones I am used to are old, I believe they now come with the option of modern cair pads?

They dont hurt her horses' backs either. They have been fitted by her excellent saddler. And are on Irish and TB horses, not big warm bloods.

Depends on whether you want bigger knee rolls. The Ideal I am used to is not like a modern dressage saddle which holds you to a position. It was a big change of shape for me to ride in a Jaguar dressage saddle.

You are near Malton aren’t you? You could try John at Parnabys.
Has lots of new and 2nd hand saddles and he will come out to you and bring some saddles to try.
I can PM you the phone number if you like?

Last edited:
ooo I forgot Parnabys but my main problem is that (currently - i live in hope!) I have no transport so R&R is the only fitter I can really use as they will come to my yard and they dont have a huge range.

I really want a SC one but lack of fitter is too much of an issue.

I need a saddle for a reasonably short backed mare when I have long legs

Do you need a different one when you have short legs? :rolleyes:

The GFS one I have is OK with my 36inch inside leg if that helps. It isn't very short, but one of the other saddles I tried before that one caught on the top of my half chaps, so I think the GFS must be cut longer than some others. Does this help?

no i mean that my knees stick over the front of the saddle in many saddles and i generally dont fit. Its rather akward and apparently i need an 18' but my mare cant take one so i do my best in a 17.

I think i'll just have to wait till Summer so I'll have a better budget.

ETA - oooo, i didnt word that quote very well did i :eek: (a level english student - i blame state education!)

I have an Ideal International Event VSD and I love love love it!
Infact, had saddle fitter out 2weeks ago and she told me it no longer fitted my horse as she now needs a Wide fit and it was only a medium - I was devastated.. :(
However the amazing star that my saddle fitter is she trailed the country and managed to find me the exact same saddle in the wide fit for her!! And I mean exact down to the exact same leather, square cantle and cut everything!! Palomino mare and Grey Gelding will verify how happy I was!! :D;)

Talk about happy!! Dont think Iv stopped smiling yet! So yes you could say I really like my Ideal saddle.. :D:p

newrider.com