Ideal Questions..

Daiiz

Love You Tuffet
Jan 15, 2008
In A Stable
Well, I'm looking to loan a horse and I'm ringing up about 3 tomorrow afternoon, but this being the first time I've got to ring up, I have no idea what to ask.
Can anyone help me? These are what I have so far...
1.What have you done on him/her and what is he/she capable of doing? (Eventing hunting etc)
2. What heights or level have you been competing.
3.Is s/he kick on or hold towards jumps and just in general?
4.Any injuries past or present I should be aware of, lami, tendons etc
5.Is s/he safe to hack alone/in company on country lanes and the occasional heavy trafficed(Sp?) road?

They're all I have so far.. Could you come up with some others please?
(I'm 15 just incase you're wondering)

Ever reared, bucked or bolted?
Does he or she bite?
Does he or she kick?
Health problems?

Damn - i used to have a humungous list of about 30 but when my laptop went squiffy i lost them all :rolleyes:

*Does he/she have papers?
*Does he/she have any vices?
*Has he/she ever competed and if yes, in what discipline?
*Reason for loan?
*Has he/she ever suffered from a major illness, and if yes what is it?
*Is he/she wormed to date?
*Does he/she have sweetitch?
*Is he/she lamintitc?
*Has the horse/pony ever been known to bolt, buck, rear or bite?
*Can he/she jump and if yes, to what height?
*Is he/she good in traffic?
*Does he/she nap?
* Does he/she live in or out?
*What bit are they in? Any gadgets like martingales needed, and under what circumstances (ie: different bit for jumping)?
*Does s/he work in a school?
*Is s/he dominant in a herd or submissive?
*Does he/she load, travel, shoe, box well etc?
*Outline of basic diet
*Has the horse/pony ever been clipped and if yes is an extra handler needed for clipping?
*Is the horse/pony fully vaccinated to date?
*Does he/she have any allergies? If yes, what are they and how are they treated?

Sorry, not sure if all apply to your situation :eek: (those were some i came up with when i thought about buying so might not apply for a loan)

Last edited:
Also be prepared to answer their list of questions, they will be vetting you as well.. if they don't vet you, steer clear as they obviously just want shot of the horse and couldn't care who it was loaned to!!

Good luck :)

Oh and you'll also want to ask questions about responsibility and who is responsible for what? What Insurance they have, which farrier they use, who is liable for the farriers bill.. etc....

Katie's list of questions is great. i would suggest though tweaking them a bit to make them more open-ended, not just "closed" questions that require a yes/no answer.

So for instance, instead of saying "Does he work well in the school?" say, "What is he like when working in the school?" Instead of "is he good in traffic", ask "how does he react in traffic?"

The more information the owner volunteers to you about the orse, the better idea of it you can get before you go to see it. Best of luck !

I would keep to the following things

• Responsibilities (e.g) What are you going to be responsible for as a loaner? Duties & costs

• Where is the horse at with regards to ridden work?

Then if you are still interested you can arrange to meet the owners and horse.

newrider.com