I'd like to talk about the weather and which type..

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
As a horse owner you dread the most! Just been looking on the Met office site - apparently tis going to be windy for a while!:eek: My personal weather nemesis has got to be the wind. I fear for the stable roofs and I worry endlessly about the horses, both when they are out (they "play" and hooly a lot more and I worry bout injury) and when they are in their boxes I get very worried with all the bangs and rattles - plus it makes life doing your chores hard work, ie, doors flapping about - constantly having to tie things back etc.
Anybody else hate the wind or do you have other weather issues? Just curious really.:)

I don't like ice or mist which are the 2 most common weather types we get that I won't ride in (I only ever hack out) purely from a safety point of view.

Ice means drivers can't stop easilly and mist means they can't see you.

I used to be anti rain because it churned everything into deep mud. And prolonged frosts because keeping the ponies watered was a nightmare.

I've recently tried to become more indifferent to weather. Just shrug and think 'oh well!' And invest in decent wellies!

Hail!

Got caught out hacking in a horrendous hail storm last winter, it was awful.
Horses kept trying to swing their bums out in road to protect their faces, the two kids that were with us were in floods of tears, I was nearly.I hope that never happens again.

I hate the wet and wind. So both together are a complete nightmare.

Summer is fantastic, dry paddocks and yards etc.

When it's comes to winter, even now, only autumn, the paddocks are discusting. We are clay here so it is a nightmare and gets really slippery. Already at that stage and we have only had a couple of days rain.

I hate watching my lovely paddocks become a mud bath. But it seems here that winter turnout in my paddocks is a no no. There just does not seem to be enough grass to keep the mud at bay, even though we reseed them and look after them really well.

The horses are turned out today in my small sand school 20 x 20 which is for lunging really, but I only use it in winter when it is really wet just for turnout purposes.

Luckily I have another sand school for schooling 20 x 40 so, that does not get ruined in the winter, it is just used for schooling.

Come back summer, all is forgiven :D

I hate wind, which we get a lot of in Pembrokeshire :rolleyes: Thankfully, Frayne is not bothered at all - people are always amazed to see me hacking out in a gale. Frayne just keeps on plodding. The only thing she does not like is rain and wind. I got caught out on a circular ride once (the furthest point) and she was cantering sideways down the road trying to get her bum into the worst of it :eek:

I also hate ice, as then I get nervous of driving on our country lanes (although got a 4x4 car now :p) and really thick fog.

In fact, I just like warm sunshine and a slight breeze :D Although a cold fresh winter's day is ok when I am wrapped up in the right clothes and keeping active.

Ali xx

ps At least it will soon be cold enough for me to wear my favourite Rimfrost boots and really snuggly gloves :D

i love the wind! love storms,and cold and sunny, too. autumn and spring are my favourite seasons, followed by winter, and summer least favorite.

wind and rain. The horses hate wind and rain and the rain is what makes them cold and wind makes them stupid. Any other weather I can cope with

I dread the freezing cold, not quite snow, rain we get most of the winter here! It's so cold, and it freezes on your clothes...and just generally goes straight through everything and makes you cold right down to the bones! When it's already 33 degrees outside, you really don't need rain colder than that falling on you! LOL! Oh, yeah, and there's usually massive winds blowing, too...

i never used to mind anything really but snce working on a yard i've found it's the wind i don't like, and thats mainly because it upsets the boys. When your 4ft 10 17.2s worth of fit even stallion on its toes and spooking at the trees by the gate is interesting to say the least :rolleyes:

I'm not really a fan of ice but thats only because it makes driving a nightmare

I hate the wind and rain. My already difficult to catch share horse, is ten times worse to catch in the wind. :rolleyes: During the summer he would usually just be half asleep sunbathing so was nice and easy to catch.

I also hate the rain! = muddy fields, muddy horses, muddy boots/clothes!!

The best winter weather is when it's cold & frosty but dry, I actually quite like riding in that sort of weather and getting all wrapped up! As long as there's no ice though! :eek:

Well it was dreadfully windy Sat night and all day yesterday at our place! Neither of ours went into their field, they spent two hour slots in the sandschool with nets tied up! They were more than ready to come in as it was raining too. They were complete loonies - I think they got the most exercise I've seen them get for quite some time! I had forgotten how fast Joe could gallop!!!!! Just glad I wasn't on board either of 'em..........

newrider.com