I Wouldn't Put My Child On This

Ive seen that before, the little boy handles the pony well in my opinion, my daughter would freak out and never ride again, but agree i wouldn't put a child of that age on a pony like that.

I used to ride an Exmoor that did this to the child, in the end they broke to harness and she was fine. Sent her away and trainer sent her back.
It was just an accident waiting to happen and once a child gets injured, it's not funny anymore.
There are comments that it's funny but if that was a stapping 17.2hh we'd not laugh then.

Ed! :D

That's the sort of pony which we learned to ride on in my childhood! Taught me to ride, that's for sure. The little retired pit-pony I learned on knew every trick in the book for getting me off! And I had no body protector...I had a hat though...with a piece of elastic underneath my chin! :D

The little lad is a very gutsy kid. He's obviously not a novice, and seems to actually enjoy riding the pony!

As soon as I read the title I knew it would be Ed!!!!!

I rode a very similar pony when I was younger, he is cetainly not the best mannered pony, but I believe there are also vids posted of the pony being very good :)

I rode a whole load of ponies like this when I was younger & have to say they have made me the rider I am today, people always comment on how I keep calm & have a solid seat when a horse/pony plays up .. its just from years of practice on little ponies like that :giggle:

Very funny...:unsure:

I don't have kids but I cannot believe that any parent would actually put their child on that pony. The fall where he got his foot caught in the stirrup made me cringe, as did the ones where he was coming over his head.

Now I don't believe it's an example of 'health and safety gone mad' to say that putting such a small kid on this pony seems to be asking for trouble. Yes the kid doesn't care, but the pony is dangerous - hell, I wouldn't ride it!!

I agree that learning to ride on naughty ponies does a world of good for a lot of kids (although there are also the ones that it scares off horses for life...but we don't tend to hear those stories so often) but there is a big difference between a quirky or sharp pony and one that seems intent on getting it's rider off every time their bum hits the saddle.

I hope that when (eeek...can't believe I said that :p) I have kids I don't let my wish of getting a funny video overcome my regard for my child's safety.

this could link quite well to the 'thrown off or falling off' thread - that pony seems to be very deliberately ditching his little rider, not that it is putting him off lol!
I already did that... about 3 days ago!!! :biggrin:

The flip side to the Naughty Ed film is that there IS another one on You Tube called "Ed being good" and it's a much longer film in which he's a complete little star... I think little Ross is an excellent rider for only 6.

I don't have kids but I cannot believe that any parent would actually put their child on that pony.

Not sure, kids are very resilient and it does them good to fall off and ride ponies like this.

I certainly wouldn't put a beginner on, but the little lad seems happy and coping. Often depends on the child, that's my view anyways :).

Although I don't have kids myself, so maybe I'd feel different as a parent! As someone who works with kids, I think challenges like this are healthy and good learning experiences.

Oh my! Just watched it through and saw the pony roll! I take my last comment back, probs wouldn't put a kid on a pony that could roll!!

When this clip was another another forum that was my thought. To me it wasn't just about the child. As a kid I'd have bounced and enjoyed the challenge but to my mind a pony that rolls and behaved like has a problem and I'd be looking at finding out what it was.

This is an old video, as soon as i saw your thread i knew it would be Ed before i even looked!!

I think the kid and the pony have a really good relationship ( in an odd sort of way) I had this happen to me when i was a child and i have seen kids on ponies like this, all have turned out to be good riders.

I already did that... about 3 days ago!!! :biggrin:

The flip side to the Naughty Ed film is that there IS another one on You Tube called "Ed being good" and it's a much longer film in which he's a complete little star... I think little Ross is an excellent rider for only 6.

Ditto Domane.
The kid is a future star x

Hi there Ed, nice to see you again little dude :bounce:

That video has already been debated about on NR, quite recently as I recall.

I have taught several children as young as 7 whose ponies display very Ed-like behaviour. They were all fab little jockeys, very confident and had endless enthusiasm for riding and were absolutely nuts about their little bastards :giggle:

Ok I didn't know about the other video...I'm still undecided about the one posted though.

I don't doubt that the kid is an excellent rider but there are ways of learning to ride well other than hitting the ground every half-circuit. As I said in my previous post, IMO there is a BIG difference between having a child ride a quirky/sharp pony and riding one that is deliberately intent on dumping its rider.

Aw, bless his little heart! rider not pony that is. Maybe i'm a heartless c*w but those are the kind of ponies i learned to ride on. That kid is obviously pretty competent and he's going to have a damn solid seat when he's older. I put by sticky bum down to riding such characters. I didn't like the rolling but again at our RS we had ponies who'd do that should they get too hot and they always gave warning they were going down so you could abandon ship! i haven't seen that vid before but he's a cracking wee rider, good on him for always bouncing back up and trying again.

I would put my child on a pony like that, it's about learning to ride.

However I would have serious concerns about why my pony wAs doing that as although it is funny I can't help but think there are underlying issues.

I don't doubt that the kid is an excellent rider but there are ways of learning to ride well other than hitting the ground every half-circuit

But the video isn't from one lesson, it's a compilation of Ed's naughty moments caught on camera across a longer period of time. You can see he does a lot of naughty stuff but it's not like the boy falls off 20 times in one session.

A friend of mine put a video on Youtube which is a compilation of her and her sister's jumping mishaps with their ponies. The video makes it look like the ponies never do a fluid jump and the girls can't ride - in reality this is very far from the truth!

newrider.com