I would like some bay horses please

Sunshine-x

Jul 31, 2008
I am fed up of cleaning!! Currently have 4 greys and 2 coloureds stood in the yard. Only 1 bay horse!! I feel like I spend my life in soap suds currently!! Can someone come and buy all these ridiculously coloured horses and replace them with some sensible looking bay ones please! There is only so much washing I can do and so many snuggy hoods I can buy! I'm sure owners of similarly coloured horses will feel sympathy for me here! :giggle: :redcarded: :redcarded:

I am so pleased to have two black cobs and a dun! cant be doing with washing and grooming so don't ever think i will own a coloured or a grey!

I have one, mainly white, coloured. But we don't go anywhere anymore so I don't need to wash her :tongue: When we did I tried to keep the washing to a minimum. I just washed legs and brushed the dirt off or spot cleaned any really bad bits!

I embrace the ming in the winter. Will never ever own a grey though nor a mare :bluergh:

My horse is allowed to be filthy though, however his work allows it as he's only happy hack if he was hunting/showing then yes I would be more arsey about how filthy he is, but he is out unrugged so I have only myself to blame :redcarded:

I thought that black would be OK, but our mud is yellow clay mixed with chalk, so dries to a nice pale beige. Sometimes its so thick and dries so hard I have to break the mud and chip off the top layer before I find fur. :biggrin:

Lol I used to have a bay, he was the dirtiest horse on the yard, sometimes he'd even come in with mud dreadlocks! Like little mud sausages in his mane they were, so even bays can show the muck up, surprisingly my Haflinger never looks dirty even when she's caked in mud, but I do feel your pain, the one coloured on our yard always looks grubby, mud stains and stable stains are very obvious on him.

Everytime I briefly curry the mud of Dolly before riding I thank heavens she is a bay!. I never really had a lot of times for bays in the past. I love them now I know how much easier it is to get them ready to hack out, compared to a coloured with lots of white on it.:biggrin:

I'm so lucky with my haflinger, he seems to be mud phobic almost. People always ask me how I keep his mane so white, but I can't take any credit!

I know you have to deal with it for hunting and the like sunshine so that's a very reasonable request lol, but for me, as a happy hacker, my horse could be any colour and I wouldn't care. He's a horse, he's supposed to be muddy and I love seeing him in full bog pony mode at this time of the year. Makes me laugh. The only time I loathe the flaxen mane and cream feathers is when I we do our yearly bath for the show. But then I think that's more about the fact that Flipo won't stand still for long and had poo'd on my head when I was cleaning his hind legs.

Apparently the bays are as dirty, it just doesn't show up. Mine has "white" feathers that are more cream, I won't wash because that will make the rest of her look unclean.

But like Ale, mine stays clean. She rolls in the barn its dry. :giggle:

I like duns.

Sunshine-it could be worse, up the road the ponies are pink due to the soil.

Last edited:
Haha I would love pink ponies!! They can get as filthy as they like when on their holidays, but when i need them clean for hunting it makes me want to scream! One of the areas we hunt the clay is blue, its the hardest thing ever to wash off!

I feel for you as have only ever owned bays and now a black and would hate all those stains especially for shows when they poop down their bums in the box :giggle:

newrider.com