I want to know about your freelance instructors!

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
While Harvey is out of action (I 'think' he is getting better though!) I thought I could get round to sorting out a freelance instructor for us both.

How much do you pay per hour for a lesson for someone to come to your yard and teach you on your own horse?

Do you use someone qualified, or top of their sport or someone else?

If you are near essex or suffolk - who are they :p

Please put who you use, what level you're working at etc even if you're not in my area..it would be good to compare.

I am looking at really just general tuition and confidence building hopefully also someone that can advise in dressage and/or showing. (although I do pop the odd jump too!). I'm thinking it will help my focus.

How much do you pay per hour for a lesson for someone to come to your yard and teach you on your own horse? £20, but we sometimes load up & go to hers which is £15
Do you use someone qualified, or top of their sport or someone else? Qualified riding instructer, very experienced (especially in eventing), will also keep your horse at hers for training, breaking etc, good for if your having exstreme problems!

If you are near essex or suffolk - who are they not near, she is in Sheffield :)

Part-qualified and friend - £14 for 45mins ish
BHSAI who is livery at new yard - £10 for 30mins
Visiting BHSAI - £25 per hour
BHSII and BD trainer - £35 for 45 mins
FBHS and BE trainer £45 for 45 mins :eek: but she is worth it (have to hack over to her yard for that though - not been yet as pony not in proper work)

3*** Eventer £25 per hour
Dressage rider who has competed/won medals for GBR £30 per hour
both come to my yard and we're sussex

They are both BHSI/AI but not sure what lol

Last edited:
(BHSI/ 'i') fully qualfied instructor, don't know the specific qualifications, who is £25 per hour and worth every minute, she's fab :D i'm working on my Pony Club B test and riding at PC Intermediate/Open level and she competes herself, breaks, schools etc

BHSII, was training for higher exams but broke his back, used to event.

£20 for 30 minutes, usually runs over.

This is for my daughter.

I've just had my RI out today! £22 for 45mins or £27 per hour. She's a BD accredited trainer who's also trained at the scottish classical dressage centre. She comes to me (and doesn't charge for travelling, despite her living a good 30 miles away).

The only one's I've found (both reccommended) are:-

Stephen Price - £30 per hour
http://www.horsesupport.co.uk/Welcome.html

and Liz Pitman - around £35-£40 per hour
Reccomended Intelligent horsemanship associate.

Probably looking more at the top one, but thought it was a bit pricey (maybe I'm wrong:eek:) Also a bit concerned as only have a fairly flat field to school in. Might be able to drum up some dressage markers (homemade) at a push:eek:

I pay £12.50 for 30 min lesson inc travel expenses for mine to come to teach from home.

She is a CR instructor as well as BHS I believe. She has her own gorgeous youngster that she is bringing on. Not only will she teach me but she will also pop on Captain to see why im struggling to get him to do as I am asking. :D

I do wish I had a school cause I miss my lessons through the Winter. Im hoping I can afford lessons and hiring of a school to this Winter cause I miss my lessons...:eek:

I pay £15 for aroung 40-45 mins (its supposed to be 30 mins but we always overrun!) for AI to come to our yard - she competes BE, BD and BSJA (people pay her to compete their horses along with livery). She only lives round the corner though so that doesn't include any travelling expenses.

We don't have a school or even a flat field but she's perfectly happy to teach in our sloping paddock - in fact she says its really good as the effects of any faults in position are made much more obvious through trying to stay balanced on a slope!

ok I'm nowhere near you but in Northampton but you said to post so I will. I have somebody called Sally, and Im not sure what her qualifications are but shes really helped me work well with my pony, although Im not 100% sure it would help me ride anything else. It's £12 for half an hour but we always over-run to 45mins

£23-£28 for 45mins depending on which instructor i choose... dressage or sj, but both will teach either and are happy to teach novice/ returning rider or more advanced.

My instructor is BHS IISM and also classically trained.He is a great teacher and always gets us acheiving good results.He is also a published equestrian author and charges me £25 for 30 minutes.

I pay £15 for 30mins, or £18 for 45 mins - but I go to our instructor's place as she's got better facillities. She's BHS qualified/registered, competes at county level in showing/side saddle and does some dressage too - and holds shows/dressage at her place too which is great for Gin and I, as we struggle at competitions so it's nice to be somewhere we both know and are a bit more relaxed at. She's also got experience with TB's/ex-racers I think, which helps, as Gin isn't a straightforward ride so it's nice to have someone on the ground that understands her.

newrider.com