I think my gut was telling me something

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
What a evening!!
Saddle fitter came down at 4pm to refit the boys saddle as he has changed soo much! My loaner came down at half 5 and rode sox. One of the other girls was going on a solo hack, but wasnt sure where. I suggested going on a certain ride where there are canters but its not miles away from home. It was about 18:15. When she set off. I was there chilling and drinking tea. It was a lovely evening and i said outloud ' Where are they as i am worried' with the light drawing in. But i thought they would be on their way home. I left the yard at 18:55 and for some reason looked to see if she was coming up the hill. She wasnt.

Found out later on tonight she came off, horse bucked, she knocked herself out. A dog walker found her and rang her OH. She was coming back home and her OH pulled up and she was wondering why he was there.
Think it was my gut in a weird way telling me something wasnt right.

Now its making me worried what things can i do so if it happened to me they would know where sox is stabled and who to call?

I have a bright yellow fluorescent tag on my saddle that has my mobile and my home phone number. My mum is usually at home these days so likely if someone rings it they will get her. You can also download apps to your phone for your emergency contacts. If you have a password protected phone they can still view your in case of emergency contact numbers though on some of the apps.

Have a card on you - not in or on your hat - with name and contact details. Maybe I a holder on your boot or arm? As a contact I'd probably put the yard owner since they would be able to contact others for you and also know what to do with a loose horse. Also a tag on Sox's saddle with name and a contact number, don't put it on the bridle as that could come off in a fall.

Even if people can look on your phone a tag is a good idea. Your phone may get broken in a fall, or the person finding you may not know how to access it.

This thread actually made me check my phone. My phone had a thing built in for emergency contact details, but you couldn't view it till you'd unlocked the phone. So pretty useless for people in an emergency, you also needed to know where to look in the settings. My phone's just done a system update in the last week and now there is a button which says emergency on it in the lock screen. If you press it it has my medical history and my emergency contact people. Great improvement.
My old phone I downloaded an app specifically.

I used to have tags on everything but they have worn out, I really must replace them. I had one each on saddle, bridle, my hat and phone case. I had a friends number on them who knows my horses/yard as no YO, OH and no family locally.

My mum wears a bracelet that has my dads phone number on and also informs people that she has a pacemaker as she hacks alone. I hack alone and hadn't really thought of it, must get something sorted.

Honestly what a great thread, hope everyone on here sees it, potentially life saving. I've just ordered ICE tags for both Brodie and the horse my mum rides, and also going to put ice contacts in my phone and get a tag for my body protector too.

Reactions: lauren123
newrider.com