I think i am a very lucky lady

shadowfax1967

Aug 29, 2008
south wales
hi peeps....i think i have the best hubby in the world for my mothers day present my hubby has bought my 5 acres with stables FANTASTIC:dance::dance::dance: i am singing and dancing and doing somersaults with excitement, i have always had horses but never owned my own land until NOW!!!!!:bounce::bounce:

I have 3 horses, my husbands 16.2 irish sports horse...i have a 14.2 cob and my daughter has a 14h cob, my question is.......is 5 acres enough for my 3 gee gees it is split into 2 fields with all post and rail fencing so with good grass management and rotation of grazing i should be fine....SHOULDNT I:unsure:

YOUR ADVICE WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED

Yaye for you! I think you will manage to make it work! I am sure you'll get plenty of good advice on here, I would rotate and split it up - OH and I managed on 2.5 acres with two horses winter and summer for a year or so - I think the only thing I'd do differently is to make more effort with the electric fencing and perhaps have a little area that I kept just for schooling etc.
Anyway, good luck - sounds fab - don't forget to show us a piccie when you get chance!!!!!!!

Wow lucky you!! :dance:

I was always taught that you should have 1 acre for the first horse and then 1.5 acres for any additional horses. So for 3 horses you're looking at 4 acres so you should be ok!

You are a very very lucky lady:dance: Can you pass your hubby round please...:dance:

You should be fine with 5 acres with what you have... you lucky lady:cloud9:

I have 2 horses on under 3 acres all year round and never have an issue..only with too much grass in spring:happy:

thats what i thought but i would everyone's advice and tips on the best way to manage your land:biggrin: as i want the best out of the land and the best for my 3 girls:giggle:

You are a very very lucky lady:dance: Can you pass your hubby round please...:dance:

You should be fine with 5 acres with what you have... you lucky lady:cloud9:

I have 2 horses on under 3 acres all year round and never have an issue..only with too much grass in spring:happy:

LOL he is mine and i am afraid i am not sharing him haha:biggrin: thanks for your advice i will never nag him again....well i will try not to nag him again but i cant promise that:giggle:

yip i agree with the grass in the spring....especially with my girl and my daughters pony they get fat just looking at grass, through out the winter they were both on diets:cry:

newrider.com