I think Disgusted is the word i am looking for :-0

ladyluxor

Apr 11, 2008
norfolk
I purchased a cub saddle today off ebay and went to pick it up, when i got there i got talking with the man who had it.
He was telling me that he was giving up horses and had a few pieces for sale etc etc...
As we was talking he was telling me he use to show welsh sections, i then told him about the welsh we had for my son (some of you might remember my threads)
His reply was..You should have let me have him for a week i would have sorted him out!!! Then he went on to how he had a pony and for no reason what so ever it use to rear..even with the slightest bit of pressure on the halter..
His way of dealing with this was to kick the pony between its front legs every time it would do it :furious:

After a week or so of it rearing and him constantly using this to deal with him the pony stopped it!!!!

I mean i stood there with my mouth wide open and was absolutly gobsmacked.:frown:

I really didnt know what to say apart from " its a good job you ave givin up horses then" and then walked back to my car.

How outrageous!! i was furious driving home. how can someone justify this behaviour is beyond me

I can think of a few people that think things can be solved in a week with a bit of "Show em whose boss" attitude.
Old school attitude when a pony didn't have a brain of it's own.

You can only hope he was never someone that other naive horsey people looked up to and emulated.

There are shocking practices in every area of the horse world. Tennessee Walking horses come to mind. And when I worked with Arab show horses there was one man I knew of that "encouraged" his horses to lift their heads by putting a lighter to the underside of their jaw.

You can only hope he was never someone that other naive horsey people looked up to and emulated.

There are shocking practices in every area of the horse world. Tennessee Walking horses come to mind. And when I worked with Arab show horses there was one man I knew of that "encouraged" his horses to lift their heads by putting a lighter to the underside of their jaw.

i hope he was met with a front foot to his!!!

A friends youngster started rearing in hand, she told me an old book she had said to hit them on them on stomach with a schooling whip when they went up and that would stop them.
She asked me what I thought.
I her told the book sounded like it would be good for starting a bonfire, and nowt else.

I'm playing Devil's advocate here, but in the scheme of things is it really so bad? Yes it's not pretty to see but if pain issues are ruled out & it works then it could ultimately be the difference between the pony have a long & useful life or no future at all.

Learningcurve that's almost exactly what I did to Jim many years ago when he was a 2yo. I'd tried other, gentler, methods with no success & his behaviour was frankly dangerous because not only did he go vertical but he was striking out with his front feet too - he was going to end up killing someone if he caught them. The YO, who was used to dealing with large stallions, was refusing to handle him or allow her staff to. One short sharp shock stopped him in his tracks & that behaviour has never shown itself again to that degree - the worst since has been a half rear & pull away which is very different to vertical & coming towards you!!!

I'm not saying it's the best way or a line of first approach BUT in certain circumstances & certain horses it's not an approach I'd rule out. If Jim had carried on like that then he wouldn't have had a future because with the size & bulk of him nowadays even a glancing blow could easily kill & that would be a tragedy for all concerned.

Many moons ago - a quick flick to the tummy with a whip was a well known way of dealing with a rearer as was striking a horse between the ears with a water bottle and then allowing the water to run over the horses head so that the horse thought it had hurt itself.

Not saying either of this methods were correct but it's was people used to do......

I also was told tht especially trainers use to use the water bottle method..especially in the stable and to be fair if the horse was rearing alot and playing up then i think i could jusify a quick flick with the whip between the front legs..but to physicaly kick the horse there :unsure:

I believe that is a completly different thing. surely that is only teaching the horse to have fear of you

He also said tht if a horse kept escaping and would`nt respect the fence he would give it a bath and then lead it to the fence. :furious:

VERY NICE MAN me tinks not..

I'm actually inclined to agree with carthorse on this one....I'm in no way advocating this as initial way of treating rearing. But putting it into context, rearing is an incredibly dangerous habit and speaking as someone who has a welshie type and had to deal with this on a day to day basis sometimes these habits require a much firmer way of dealing with them the way you would deal with most other bad habits.

Also, welshies are a incredibly intelligent and very often dominant breed, it isn't uncommon to see them handled with "traditional horseman" methods.

ETA - I'm a fan of the Kelly Marks methods for these sorts of issues

Last edited:
I do agree that everyone believe in different methods and the older generation defintly done and still do things a different way.
Where as now people tend to be more patient and work with the horse and time.

I think i was just shocked that he was saying this openly to me.. prob more so because i really dont believe in doing things tht way

To be honest I would have thought a kick is likely to end up with a very badly injured handler - just think how close you'd have o be to do that to even a small pony & what a vulnerable position it puts you in :eek:. I suspect this man was a lot more talk than action ........

I know I used a lunge whip (he was led with a lunge line at this point so I could at least keep clear) & aimed at the back of the belly. I was far enough away - just - to be fairly safe & the theory is that you get them in an area that wouldn't be exposed if they weren't rearing. One sharp hit, well timed, was all it took & I don't even think he associated it with me because he came down as fast as he could, came to stand right by me & was almost glued to my side as I led him after that.

I agree mostly with Carthorse as well, probably because I did very similar with
Morse who also took to rearing whilst bringing in and lashing out with his
Front Foot. One Night I felt the rush of wind as he did it over the top of my
Head, all the other girls actually 'screamed' as I ducked because they
thought he had caught me.

Next Night I took my Schooling Whip and as he 'went up and lashed out'
I lifted the whip and he 'met that' with his leg..............I can honestly he never ever
did it again! In fact, I never saw him rear again full stop !

One short sharp shock...............so sometimes it does work and sometimes
I could imagine, depending on the Horse and who is 'delivering the ''shock'' it
could create more problems ....

newrider.com