I survived mine and Holly's first ever hack to Wimbledon common!

Hollymead

Sep 19, 2004
London
www.holtonhorsetherapy.co.uk
Well, as we couldn't go dressage today because of transport issues we thought we'd hack up to Wimbledon Common. My other pony-riding adult friends had done this before, but it was mine and Holly's first ever go.
It took about an hour to hack there from the yard, going via a bridleway into Motspur Park, then several big and busy roads including West Barns Lane and Coombe Lane, and including the level crossing at Motspur Park. All new experiences for us! Holly was actually very good, completely nonplussed about the level crossing, and only spooking when cars went too close and fast. I was shocked and awed by the standard of driving today. I lost count of the amount of times our slow down/stop hand signals were ignored, and actually had to shout at one woman because - get this - she decided to try and fit past me and Holly whilst we were going through a width restriction....
Anyway, ridiculous driving standards apart we got there in one piece, and had a lovely time wending our way through the trees and paths. A couple of trots and a short canter later we stopped for ice-creams. Standing waiting Holly decided that now was the time for another first - peeing under saddle. I couldn't tell her off, but why did she have to pick a picnic area????? :rolleyes:
We continued round the paths (all with names that have escaped me already) until Holly and I got to experience 'laundy' for the first time. This is a long, wide, sloping bridlepath that is perfect for, an, ahem 'extended canter'. Having only ever galloped Holly for a few strides before (the fields at the yard just aren't big enough) I was very intrigued as to how she'd go. She was great! Really fast, but kept up beautifully with the other two, didn't attempt to overtake, and was actually very glad to pull up, lol, bless her she was knackered! We even flew a few dips we encountered on the way (Holly decided they were ditches and must therefore be jumped :)).
A nice long walk to cool off, and we then hacked back along the roads. Holly and I were knackered by the time we got back, I could hardly walk when I dismounted! We normally only ride for an hour max, and it was 3.5 hours today!
So, I'd have loved to have been competing today, but our day of 'firsts' was more than adequate :D When's the next gallop????

Gosh well done you, I drive down the A3 to get to my yard and I know how busy all the roads around that area are :eek::eek:!! Wimbledon Common is fab, I used to ride there a few years ago, there are some really nice bridlepaths there. Glad you all had a nice time and got back safe, sounds much more fun than dressage ;);) (you can tell it's not something me and Mimi 'do'!)

newrider.com