I shat a brick, the foals didn't!

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
The coastguard helicopter has just flown right over the top of us, low, the mares were having their bit of breakfast, I ducked........they took not a blind bit of notice! Bombproof foals at an early age, can't be bad!

Well done, brave foals!

I was worried that Harvey might freak when they transferred the smolts from Belmont to the boat at the pier by helicopter. He shot out of the barn at the first circuit, then carried on as normal.

They don't seem to really care. Even the ponies giving pony rides at the Aith Lifeboat Gala took not a blind bit of notice when it landed in teh next park form them.

I had a similar experience this morning, 2 RAF Chinooks (sp?) flew really really low over us this morning, they pretty much flew through the bottom of the valley, I was waiting for the horses to go mental but they didn't even stop grazing!

I suppose they are used to it, they do alot of training here in the summer and the air ambulance is always landing nearby.

The worst was the other day when I was in the car and had taken the dog guard out to fit in my bike. The dogs were in the back and we were on our way into Lerwick and a low flying fighter jet came over. Holymarymotherofgod, I nearly went off the road and the collie shot from the bootspace to the front passenger footwell and refused to come out. The Labbidog never noticed.

Where we live we get the weird shaped scary - almost "alien" looking planes coming over - they are VERY scary to me, but neither girls bothered a while back when one dipped and flew right over the school!!!! They are scary, cos they "creep" up on you in the sky and then before you know it they are almost on top of you!!! (They are a triangly shape thing).
Glad your shetties are so cool about the helicopter!

"alien" looking planes coming over

Oooh - I wonder what they are???

My girls are getting used to low flying aircraft now we've moved pretty close to a military airfield.

Apache's are flippin' scary when they get a bit close!!!! The Sea King comes down pretty low sometimes, I've waved at the bods closing the doors a few times and get a wave back.....although nothing from Prince Wills yet :cry: :giggle:

We're not far from a little private airfield either, when we're out hacking there is one route that takes us over the end of the runway, I only realised how much good the heavy aircraft had done when neither of my girls blinked an eyelid at planes taking off/landing over head!!!!

We get the coast guard flying over head up at the uni yard pretty often and horses don't give a damn about it....
However, a slightly different coloured board in the school? a bag out side? a man wearing a hat? all terrifying pony eatting things.. but a big loud noisy low flying helicopter? nope, don't bat an eyelid.

newrider.com