I really need help!!

equinejen

Nov 5, 2016
Northern Ireland
I got my very first horse a month ago. He's a 19 year old arab. His past owner said he was totally bombproof and I got to ride him and he was perfect. He trotted and cantered beautifully. I was so happy!

However now, I am scared whenever ride him. The first few days he was fine but now whenever I get on him I walk him in circles at the top of the arena and then if I walk down to the back wall he'll buck, rear, and full on bolt to the gate.

Today I asked a lady at my yard if she could ride her horse in the arena with me to give both me and my horse more confidence. She did but he still bolted flat out, bucked and reared. At my old riding school they used to put me on the biggest and youngest horses since I had the most confidence in the lesson. Now my new horse has made me lose most of my confidence.

(By the way, the lady let me have a ride on her horse and he was lovely! He's very responsive and made me feel a bit better!)

I came home crying today. I don't know what to do. My mum said if my dad saw me crying over my horse he would sell him and that would be it. No horse ever again. I've waited YEARS to get my own horse and I don't want to give up on him. I'm just so scared when I ride him.:(

Horses often go through a rebellious stage once they have settled into a new home, just to see what they can get away with :( have you tried lunging him? or do you have a riding instructor that could help you? or even his old owner? though it could also be from a change in diet, so I'd also cut out any bucket feeds and see if that settles him in a week or so :)

Sounds like he is still settling and testing his boundaries. He now knows he can scare you and is probably picking up on your nervous vibes and reacting to them too. Could you ask a RI or someone more confident to come and ride him in the school to see how he reacts to a new rider? Then you will know whether it is him or you.

I take it is not because he is stabled all the time and just fresh?

It's horrible when something like this happens and shatters your confidence. The good thing is that you know he has been good before and so he can be again. Some horses will soon learn to take advantage of a situation if the behaviour isn't nipped in the bud straight away and it sounds as though your boy has learned that he can get back to the gate and get out of work by his latest behaviour. It isn't personal, he's just being clever and getting what he wants. Even the best behaved horses can learn tricks like this given the opportunity, the thing is to never let them think they have the opportunity!

Don't panic, I'm sure he can relearn the good behaviour. Do you have lessons on him? If not I would get a good riding instructor who will both give you confidence from the ground and help you sort this issue out. The sooner you address the issue the easier it will be to correct.

Good luck!

Reactions: Trewsers
Horses often go through a rebellious stage once they have settled into a new home, just to see what they can get away with :( have you tried lunging him? or do you have a riding instructor that could help you? or even his old owner? though it could also be from a change in diet, so I'd also cut out any bucket feeds and see if that settles him in a week or so :)

I have been lunging him and at the minute I don't have an instructor, however, the lady I wrote about contacted a trainer for me they are coming tomorrow to help me find what the problem is :) He is currently turned out since the girl that owns the yard is in the progress of getting my stable built. Thank you so much for your advice!!:D

Sounds like he is still settling and testing his boundaries. He now knows he can scare you and is probably picking up on your nervous vibes and reacting to them too. Could you ask a RI or someone more confident to come and ride him in the school to see how he reacts to a new rider? Then you will know whether it is him or you.

I take it is not because he is stabled all the time and just fresh?

He is currently turned out full time since the girl who owns the yard is in the progress of getting my stable built. I thought it was freshness too. The lady I wrote about contacted a trainer and she's coming to see us tomorrow. Thank you!! :)

It's horrible when something like this happens and shatters your confidence. The good thing is that you know he has been good before and so he can be again. Some horses will soon learn to take advantage of a situation if the behaviour isn't nipped in the bud straight away and it sounds as though your boy has learned that he can get back to the gate and get out of work by his latest behaviour. It isn't personal, he's just being clever and getting what he wants. Even the best behaved horses can learn tricks like this given the opportunity, the thing is to never let them think they have the opportunity!

Don't panic, I'm sure he can relearn the good behaviour. Do you have lessons on him? If not I would get a good riding instructor who will both give you confidence from the ground and help you sort this issue out. The sooner you address the issue the easier it will be to correct.

Good luck!

The lady I wrote about contacted a trainer and she's coming out tomorrow. :) She'll hopefully be coming up every few days to give me lessons on him. Thank you so much for your advice!

Reactions: Bodshi
Would love to know how you get on tomorrow. Also, would love to see pics of your boy :) I have a 10 year old Arab, I hope he's as feisty as yours when he's 19!

Some good advice given, if only someone had told me the same when my OH got his first horse, I had no idea how much they would test boundaries! A few times people told us to give up or contact his old owner and see about them taking him back, but I'm glad we didn't as once he settled and we got help things improved. I hope it's the same for you. Lots of luck and keep us posted.

Have a lesson(s) on your horse. Ask your instructor for exercises you can do between lessons and work on them. Don't try and do other things. Arrange for the instructor to come weekly and start doing the "homework".

Your horse is suffering from "the-cheque-has-cleared" syndrome. It happens to many. Don't feel alone but get regular lessons on your horse and exercises you can do in between. Good luck x

Some good advice given, if only someone had told me the same when my OH got his first horse, I had no idea how much they would test boundaries! A few times people told us to give up or contact his old owner and see about them taking him back, but I'm glad we didn't as once he settled and we got help things improved. I hope it's the same for you. Lots of luck and keep us posted.

Thank you!! :)

Here's a few pictures of him!

He's a handsome chap. Love those pics of you riding him, you look so happy. Arabs can get very tuned into one person so it may take him a while to get used to the fact that you are his new 'person'. Once he does he will probably do anything for you. I predict after one session with your new trainer you will feel much better, and after a few months you will wonder what all the fuss was about :)

I'm really glad you have a trainer coming. I was scared by my pony too when I got him, but we have worked through it and 6 years later we are very happy with each other.

I can't recommend too highly that you do lots of groundwork with him as well as (or even instead of) riding him. It helps him to get to know you and can establish a really solid partnership.

Hey! I'm back from my lesson and it went great! He tried to bolt multiple times but my trainer told me what to do. I even got to canter him and I haven't cantered him since the day after I got him! The trainer also told me to go over a few jumps on him and he went over them amazingly! (They were Between 60-70cm)

I'm so happy! Ill try to keep updating you all every now and again :)

HI there. Don't let this get u down. They all go a little crazy this time of year. As long as you have a decent trainer it will settle down. Just keep going ur doing a great job.

newrider.com