I officially hate sticky jacks.......

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Having 6 ponies on 9 acres I have spent the best part of the last two weeks pulling sticky jacks out of their ,manes, tails and feathers. I am sick of the sight of them, they take up loads of my time :(

We have spent the last few days cutting down at the dead thistles in our paddocks nearly as big a job of ragworting is in the spring :stomp::stomp::stomp::stomp:

Does anybody elses horses and ponies get covered in them? I could swear Sweep rolls in a patch of them every night :redcarded:

mmm, I had to google sticky jacks. Is it like sticky willow?
My horse gets covered in burrs around the start of October..I didn't clock on that it was because he was leaning over the fence. It took me hours to undo the mess and he's lost half his substantial forelock to it. I even tried plaiting his forelock and it still got in a mess. This year they're all getting cut down before the leccy fence gets dismantled. I may not have experience of sticky jacks, but I feel your pain.

Yeah it`s burrs FM ... they`re a reet pain in the behind ... literally eh NL .. Cory saw Sweeps tail the other day, he said he didn`t envy you having to try and get them out lolol ... I think you`re right though, i think Sweepy rolls in them whilst giggling to herself about how long it`ll take you to get them out ... cheeky pony ... :giggle: x

Last edited:
Sweep must have had about 80 in her tail..... grrrrrrr.

They have all had some blooming great punky hair styles. I normally cut down thistles for them to eat while they are still growing but this year we have had loads.

I have hardly done anything with the ponies due to having to get them clear of the pesky things.

Well hopefully now we have cut them all down and removed them from the paddocks, I should now be able to get back to training and hacking :)

My new bitless side pull halter and reins are here to train Eva bitless......
(Thank you Daisy for delivering them) Now I will have some time to work with them ..

They are a huge pain in the arse. The trick is a liberal application of baby oil, leave for 5 mins and then remove hair bit by bit from mess rather than try and take burr from tangle. I don't always oil but have got removing them down to a fine art - I absentmindedly fiddle whilst chatting / daydreaming. Think of it as a five minute time out without the cigarette :)

If you mean the heads off of burdock plants they are a right pain aren't they. The horses seem to be modelling a different hairstyle every day at the moment depending on how many they have on them.

Having 6 ponies on 9 acres I have spent the best part of the last two weeks pulling sticky jacks out of their ,manes, tails and feathers. I am sick of the sight of them, they take up loads of my time :(

We have spent the last few days cutting down at the dead thistles in our paddocks nearly as big a job of ragworting is in the spring :stomp::stomp::stomp::stomp:

Does anybody elses horses and ponies get covered in them? I could swear Sweep rolls in a patch of them every night :redcarded:

2 of my friends ponies have come in with manes and tails full of them!!!! lol

Like this you mean??

picture.php

:giggle:

It's an old photo, but this is a daily occurrence at the moment. I can't even find the Burdock plants he's getting covered in!

yep, but only the Shettie - sports an Amy Winehouse style forelock and mane every morning...... the plants are alluding me but the evidence takes some sorting out

newrider.com