I now own a FAT horse!

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Not good, and not to be taken lightly, but Tobes has BALLOONED into a right porker!

He has been off work for three weeks because of his tendon, and I have also put him on a ulcer treatment as he is so reactive to different feeds etc., and such a stress head, that although he is not a cribber, weaver, TB or thin normally, it was suggested he may have ulcers.

Whether it is the lack of work or the ulcer treatment, but he has walloped on weight amazingly.

Happily we will be into winter soon, so he will be OK, and he doesn't have a great pot gut, but he is really quite large now. Am pleased it is this end of the year really!

Winter isn't here for months yet, we get the September flush, its been so mild maybe your grass is growing?
I have had to clip!

Jess is like that, 2 weeks off and its visable that she has gained, its a nightmare when you can't do any work to shift it. Although winter is a ways away the nights are cooler now and hopefully a bit of a chill will help him burn some extra calories :)

How is he in himself with the time off work? Is he getting hyper or pretty chilled out. Hope he's on the mend soon.

He seems ok at the mo, mooching about with his girls. Time will tell but there is not a lot i can do with him at the mo. Try to limit any stress - ie best friend going riding, he is brought in then and if he flings his toys out the prsm then at least in he cant hoon about on his leg!

I wondered how he'd be coping without an outlet for his stressiness. I guess its not a bad time of year to have a fatter horse. Flipo is at his heavier side just now as well, but I'm not concerned.

Just in case he does get stressy.... Bo was the king of stressy and when he had to be on box rest it was a nightmare, at one point he was getting 30 acp twice a day to keep him in the stable :eek: I'd just about had enough but decided to try chamomile tea, 2 cups of tea poured over his feed had more effect at chilling him than all that ACP :D I have found it very effective several times since for helping stress heads cope with thunder storms, fireworks, friends leaving etc, the only thing is you aren't meant to use it for more than 3 months continiously.

I condition scored earlier and I'd say Roxy is a generous 3.5! Probably a 4, argh! I'm off to buy a trickle net!

newrider.com