I need some advice ( sleeping)

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Hey, now before i go off on one just thought i would let you know if i make any spelling mistakes - I'm sorry :)

Its nearly...quarter to 3 in the morning and i was up... at half 7 to get to yard had a busy day. though when i came back from town today i had about 2 hours sleep so from 2-4 then .. well i have been awake ever since. My body feels shattered currently watching BB3 and the dogs with me on the sofa for company:giggle:. Now... i have had some problems in the past and am worried if i keep sleeping these strange hours then when it comes to college in like 2 weeks time.. I would be shattered everyday its even harder then as am at college 4 days a week the course is harder the work is alot harder i have a social life to fit in along with pony who i have 3 days a week( Mon, Thur and Sat) When i arent with poppet, at college or doing assignments or going out ( saying that i dont go out often as am skint though i try) so when i dont have all of that am working 2-3 days a week.

Its kinda getting to much for me at the moment:(

Can anyone help me?

Thank you

laurenx

at the moment i am taking sominex herbal to help me sleep and i have to say its working a treat :) i'd be on the normal ones but because of my other meds i cant x]

it might be worth talking to a pharmacist? thats what i did and they are so helpful =]

i hope you manage to sleep better soon

xxx

The best thing is probably to settle down into a routine, which won't likely happen until you've been at college for a couple of weeks. At least then you can anticipate what will happen on what day - horse, work, college and such like. And maybe set aside one day a week when you know you're gonig to go out?

Also, if you can, it's best not to study on your bed. Sounds a bit odd but one should associate one's bed with bedtime and sleep - not a bit of everything from studying or watching TV. Easier said than done I know but it can help.

To help you drift off maybe try some hot milk before bed, leaving a window open and reading a book before you sleep. Or having a relaxing bath before changing into PJs and snuggling down with a book.

If all else fails OTC medication, natural or otherwise, may help but personally I stay away from these unless absolutely necessary as I don't like to become dependent on drugs to maintain any part of my life. But again, that's personal preference.

Strangely I just saw a programme on sleep problems last night, it used routine to solve major issues (guy hadn't slept for three days!!) Basically the rulke was no matter how tired you were you only slept at night time, no naps and get up at a set time whether still tired or not. The person on the program had to go to bed at 2am and get up at 7am to start with!!

FWIW I can never sleep at night if I have a daytime nap!!

I think worrying about not sleeping makes it worse - I think once you start at college and get into a routine you will be ok. Our bodies tend to take as much sleep as we actually need (contrary to worrying ourselves and thinking we "must" have certain amounts) we can actually function quite well on little sleep. (I know this is not ideal but it can be done). Try as Roxy said to relax with a warm drink at night and get into a routine of it and also reading is a dead cert for helping people to drop off!!! (Unless of course you choose something like a Jeffrey Deaver in which case you will say goodbye to sleeping much before 3am his books are so addictive!!!lol).
Personally I don't rate herbal sleep remedies - they gave OH and myself nothing but a banging headache the next day!!!!!

I used to suffer with not falling to sleep and it wad cured with my step dad saying to me "I knew a guy that stayed awake for 3 days" and it stopped me worrying as I realised you can still function without sleep. It literally cured it for me. It was all in my head.

Routine and audiobooks help for me if I am struggling to sleep. Having a selection of audiobooks on my ipod mean that I can lie awake without thinking about being awake and usually I find the distraction of the book is enough to send me back to sleep but if I do stay awake then its better than lying awake in the dark worrying about being awake, and an audiobook tends to be more soporific than having the TV or radio on - just choose your book carefully, thrillers are not the best for this purpose :D

Totally agree with what RM said, the only other comment I would have is try to avoid daytime naps! They may seem like a good idea at the time but can totally upset your body clock. Trewsers is right we don't always need as much sleep as we think we do and the body really doesn't care when it gets rest so if you sleep during the day then your body won't need the full 8 hours at night! Does that make sense? I'm :poop: at explaining things!!! x

Wow, thanks for everyones advice.I did also see that programe about sleep last night .

The strange thing is when i was at college last year and had all that going on ( everything i pointed out in the first post) I was getting about 3 hours sleep a night and i needed more obvs so i might try to get 7 hours this year:)

newrider.com