I need new bitting ideas please!!

jowyles

Jul 8, 2005
Leics
spaces.msn.com
Hi guys!
Well after finding a suitable kimblewick for dexter (ported mouth slotted) he has been going lovely in it, hasnt leaned on me once works lovely and hasnt been strong in it. I then put the hanging cheek roller snaffle back in and we went back to leaning, not being strong, just having me hold the weight of his head! Even pushing him thru it moving my hands etc couldnt stop it! I have done alot of work so he responds from weight aids and slightest squeeze with the Kimblewick just very frustrating!! so now i need something dressage legal, in a 6inch that will help with the leaning. Was looking at loose ring snaffles of possibly a fulmer?

hmm, i think some lessons for both of you would be of a huge benefit, with someone sympathetic who you trust. then you can improve his wway of going and your effectiveness as a rider overall, as well as other changes.
xx
not that i'd necessarily recommend one, but gags can be useful in that they encourage the horse to raise its head, though this is more useful fro strong horses rather than leaners.
lunging and encouraging impulsion will help stop him leaning on you, to deelop his balance as horses who can't physically carry themselves - and you - often use their rider (literally) for support. so don't force anything.
apart from the gag idea, i don't think you'll find any bit that will solve or even help this problem.

good luck
xx

Yeh the thing is with the kimblewick he is fine! I just dont get it, except the kimblewick is metal and Hanging cheek is a happy mouth! he also leans on his pelham but not so bad and that is rubber mouth.
I had a lesson not long ago (havent ridden for 2 weeks anyway) and my instructor complemented me on how well balanced he was! I used to use a gag years ago but that was worst of all. I think I might try a snaffle that is not happy mouth as he seems to prefer the metal.

I seem to be advertising this bit a lot recently, but would a loose ring french link snaffle help? Incredible hard to lean in, because of the french link and loose rings, and encourages softness without being too harsh. Just a thought :D

newrider.com