I must be out of touch, WTF is a french noseband?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Saw this, looks like a cavesson and a flash to me ;)
upload_2017-11-17_13-13-56.png

I'm bored at work, had some chuckles on FB today, someone posted to ask what ap they should use to know what rug to put on their horse, blow me if someone didn't reply with the name of one, so I duly downloaded it and put in Jess' details to see what rug I should use.....its meant to be 1c tonight and apparently she would need a heavyweight....I must be a bad owner because at -2c last night she was in her rain sheet :eek::eek::eek::eek::cool: Guess what, she was still alive this morning :p

Reactions: Cortrasna and Lemme
It is.
But this design allows you to convert to a cavesson without that loop being stitched on.

Saw this, looks like a cavesson and a flash to me ;)
View attachment 89975

I'm bored at work, had some chuckles on FB today, someone posted to ask what ap they should use to know what rug to put on their horse, blow me if someone didn't reply with the name of one, so I duly downloaded it and put in Jess' details to see what rug I should use.....its meant to be 1c tonight and apparently she would need a heavyweight....I must be a bad owner because at -2c last night she was in her rain sheet :eek::eek::eek::eek::cool: Guess what, she was still alive this morning :p
And so are those I turned out. ;)

Reactions: Jessey
I tried the Horseware app and it recommends a much heavier rug than I use for Harvey

French noseband is just the term for a noseband with a removable flash attachment like this one, I think the first company to use this type of design was Devoucoux hence the "French" part. I hate them, they're fiddly and 9 times out of 10 they fall off when you're putting the bridle on!

Attachments

• 138597d1355621851-sold-mark-todd-deluxe-bridle-removable-flash-002.jpg
    138597d1355621851-sold-mark-todd-deluxe-bridle-removable-flash-002.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 6
French noseband is just the term for a noseband with a removable flash attachment like this one, I think the first company to use this type of design was Devoucoux hence the "French" part. I hate them, they're fiddly and 9 times out of 10 they fall off when you're putting the bridle on!
:oops: and there was me who was just too cheap to buy a new bridle when I needed a flash for a horse years ago so brought a cheap 'flash converter' in stead :p

That's marketing for you, give something a fancy name and you can charge people way more for it :p There is a difference though. "French noseband" refers not just to the converter but to the noseband as a whole - the noseband itself actually has a split in it between the inner and outer bits of leather and the converter threads through that hole. I believe with a normal flash converter it goes around the whole husband.

Eta - NOSEBAND, it goes around the whole NOSEBAND, not the whole husband. Darn autocorrect :p (But I left it in because it amuses me!)

Last edited:
Does this app take the type of horse into account? (I really can't be bothered to download it :p ). Raf (fully clipped, bit of a wimp) would need a heavyweight rug if he were turned out at night in below zero temperatures, and he'd probably still be cold. Jack (unclipped, well covered and a warm horse anyway) is still out 24/7 without a rug. There is an app for everything isn't there? How ridiculous!

Reactions: Trewsers
So I'm guessing the app would be saying a heavyweight for a hunter clipped welsh cob stabled at night when it's down to just below freezing? Oh dear, he was quite warm enough in his 200g full neck. And if we get the sun out & not much breeze then he's going out naked for a few hours in the afternoon after he's been ridden (rug on in the morning when it's chilly & I don't want every square inch of pony covered in mud & a battle over grooming lol). Whatever happened to feel your horse & use some common sense?

I must say I'd never heard of a French noseband either & in my ignorance would call that a cavesson with converter which I'm sure more people would understand anyway. I wish more bridles came this way, gives those of us who don't want a flash a neat option.

Not an emoji but crying with laughter video.
Enjoy.

That's hilarious :D

Does this app take the type of horse into account? (I really can't be bothered to download it :p ). Raf (fully clipped, bit of a wimp) would need a heavyweight rug if he were turned out at night in below zero temperatures, and he'd probably still be cold. Jack (unclipped, well covered and a warm horse anyway) is still out 24/7 without a rug. There is an app for everything isn't there? How ridiculous!
It says it does, you put in location, breed, age, clipped or not and if it's a pony, I don't think it works tho as it said the same for of mine even when I went back and adjusted between clipped and not for hank
This is for him unclipped
Screenshot_20171118-091900.png

No-fill hooded rain sheet here on a hairy cob. It’s only on because she likes to roll her clean white backside in the pee :confused:
That’s a cavesson bridle with a flash, surely? I have a flash converter on the same hairy cob as we’re using a flash at the moment but won’t be indefinitely and who needs to buy a new bridle every five minutes...o_O

newrider.com