I just bought a 13.1-13.2 pony and I’m worried I’m too big for him. What do you think?

I don't think you're too big for him for light work - I agree with others, you want to build him up a bit. I'd also consider a lightweight saddle. I always had synthetic with my old pony, they're just so much lighter, but of course the fit makes all the difference. See how you go on with him, and if he lets you know he's uncomfortable, you may have to reconsider.

Hello, coming in a bit late here. I would say that Buck hasn't got much condition on him: there's not much muscle there. He may be a bit weak and undernourished at present. I would say there is a chance that he might be strong enough for you, but you would need to build up his muscle and make sure you are riding as lightly as you can - your weight centred, not towards the back of the saddle - and be sensitive to how he goes. I certainly wouldn't do any galloping or barrel racing or whatever on him, he is light built and the whole thing is a bit marginal.

Reactions: carthorse
You don’t have to be an endurance rider to use an endurance saddle🤠. Some of them weigh as little as 13 pounds.

Getting a good saddle fit for both of you is important.

Also, I will ditto making sure he is completely sound for the type of riding you want to do. If it’s trail riding, there are varying degrees of trail riding. Be sure to tell the vet you’re either going to stick to hacking groomed trails or you’re going to be sliding down river banks and digging up the other side, as it can make a difference in the horse’s ability if the horse has SI or stifle/hock issues🤠🤠

Years ago I rescued a seven year old, 13.3H Arab (RIP Streeter) who had SI and vertebra injuries to the point I couldn’t even ride him for much more than using the river behind the farm as an exercise tool. He ended up being fantastic lesson horse for young children and giving happy horse memories to children who would likely never get close to a horse again. I laid his sweet self to rest when he was 29.

Last edited:
Can you post a picture? I can’t get my round all the numbers and it really depends on how much bone he has. I ride a 14th pony who I suspect is nearer to 13.2hh. He is a very strong little cob and carries me no problem, but it did take some time to adapt as my previous horse was 16.2hh.
Great answer...bone means a lot

newrider.com