I just bought a 13.1-13.2 pony and I’m worried I’m too big for him. What do you think?

graceventura

May 24, 2022
I recently purchased a 13.2 pony at auction. He had a saddle on all day so he looked bigger there. We taped his weight at 779lbs but he could gain a few more. I’m 140-145lbs and 5’4”. I’m looking into getting a synthetic saddle that’s 15-20lbs at most. Do you think it’s unethical for me to ride him? I love him and would hate to sell him now that we’ve bonded but don’t want to hurt him either.

I think you'd be on the very upper end of what he can carry for light work and that's assuming his conformation is good to carry weight and he has no weaknesses or problems, as well as you being a good well balanced rider in a saddle that fits both of you.

I think you'd be on the very upper end of what he can carry for light work and that's assuming his conformation is good to carry weight and he has no weaknesses or problems, as well as you being a good well balanced rider in a saddle that fits both of you.
He seems to not be bothered by my weight at all but I haven't ridden longer than a half-hour and it's mostly been walking. I am shopping for a synthetic saddle to help ease the weight so it would be approx 160lbs on his back rather than about 180lbs now.

He seems to not be bothered by my weight at all but I haven't ridden longer than a half-hour and it's mostly been walking. I am shopping for a synthetic saddle to help ease the weight so it would be approx 160lbs on his back rather than about 180lbs now.

It sounds like you're determined to ride him anyway so why ask?

Obviously, I'd like to ride him but thought I could get opinions from more experienced horse people here. If it seems like it won't work out, I won't bother buying the saddle and sell him instead.

I think that you'll be very limited on what you can do together if you can ride him fairly at all. Without seeing him it's impossible to give a definite answer, but from what you've said I think you are too big.

If you thought you would be too heavy, why did you buy him?
That niggle will never go away.

Then send him back to the auction and look for something else. He's not what you were looking for.
Ask to see without tack before buying.

Yes I would say you are too heavy.

If you want to keep him you could do lots of walking in hand and ground work and enjoy him that way. Or get a smaller (and I am not saying you are too big in general) rider who can ride him and you can do other stuff.

Yes I would say you are too heavy.

If you want to keep him you could do lots of walking in hand and ground work and enjoy him that way. Or get a smaller (and I am not saying you are too big in general) rider who can ride him and you can do other stuff.
Thank you. I'd like to ride so I may have to bite the bullet and replace him with something a little bigger.

Can you post a picture? I can’t get my round all the numbers and it really depends on how much bone he has. I ride a 14th pony who I suspect is nearer to 13.2hh. He is a very strong little cob and carries me no problem, but it did take some time to adapt as my previous horse was 16.2hh.

Reactions: **ziggy and Huggy
Can you post a picture? I can’t get my round all the numbers and it really depends on how much bone he has. I ride a 14th pony who I suspect is nearer to 13.2hh. He is a very strong little cob and carries me no problem, but it did take some time to adapt as my previous horse was 16.2hh.
I can imagine that's quite the adjustment! This is Buck. You can see his height with me next to him and what he looks like with my saddle on him. The saddle is probably 40-45lbs but if I keep him, I'll get a synthetic lightweight one. In pics of him from his ad, there was a woman larger than me riding him on the trail and the woman who sold him and rode him around the ring is also larger than me. He's already been putting on weight in the 3 weeks I've had him as well.

Attachments

• 280457456_715364053034396_7192650741366967423_n.jpg
    280457456_715364053034396_7192650741366967423_n.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 281425176_1345857249243971_5409090370657454018_n.jpg
    281425176_1345857249243971_5409090370657454018_n.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 26
It is not black and white.

There are many factors to consider:-

Can you ride? A dead-weight novice is a much harder ride for a horse than someone who can hold and balance themselves.
Is the horse a skinny type - with no bone or a good leg-in-each-corner type?
Does the horse actually struggle when you get on?

Get a good saddle - that will help hugely
Get some muscle on him - again, that will help
And take it from there. He will soon tell you.

It is not black and white.

There are many factors to consider:-

Can you ride? A dead-weight novice is a much harder ride for a horse than someone who can hold and balance themselves.
Is the horse a skinny type - with no bone or a good leg-in-each-corner type?
Does the horse actually struggle when you get on?

Get a good saddle - that will help hugely
Get some muscle on him - again, that will help
And take it from there. He will soon tell you.
As of now, he hasn't indicated at all that he's struggling. He doesn't even lean to the side when I get on. I appreciate the input and will watch for any negative indications.

newrider.com