I have found an ideal yard!!

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
As you will all know by now, I am planning to buy a horse. I thought that I knew that yard that I wanted to use as it has amazing facilities and is close by. However, they only offer full livery which is some ways is an advantage but in other ways the yard is very controlling about how the horses are kept, and I fear that I would become just a rider and have no part in my horses care - plus it costs a small fortune! I enjoy mucking out and poo picking and want to be able to do this as much as I can.

There is a yard less than one mile from my house which I initially discounted because it has a public footpath running next to it and I was worried about all the people who may appear. However, this morning I took my youngest son for a walk and asked to speak to the owner. She showed me round and I fell in love with the place. It is smallish with about 15 stables, but has a floodlit school, jumping paddock, off road hacking with big fields to ride round and a 40 minute circular route. The people are really friendly and the owner is a qualified RI. There are no vacancies but I am top of the waiting list so it all depends on how long it takes for a space to become free. She will charge me £10 per week to hold the stable while I look for my horse, and she will help me find a horse if needed. I said that this is my first horse and I might need some help, and she said that she would be more than happy to help me with anything I needed, and that is ethos of the yard. It costs £90 per month for basic rent and you can buy straw and hay from the yard as you need it.

Sorry for the long post but I am so excited. It might take months and months to get a space, but I have Bailey to ride and I'm in no hurry. All I have to do now is to convience Baileys owner to sell him. I have asked her but the answer was no - although full loan may be an option in the future. My dream of having my own horse might come true at last.

Homemade chocolate cake and ice cream to you all.

Nom Nom on the cake...:giggle:

I think that's a great move and development MP, I am excited for you:dance: Did she give you any details on how often people move off the yard? At least if you know say 2 people move a year that hopefully you could get on in the not too distant future:happy:

Nom Nom on the cake...:giggle:

I think that's a great move and development MP, I am excited for you:dance: Did she give you any details on how often people move off the yard? At least if you know say 2 people move a year that hopefully you could get on in the not too distant future:happy:

Apparently no-one has left for 6 years! That says how good it must be. However, she has 5 'very old' horses who she said will not be around for that much longer and as we will be shortly going into winter she doesn't know how long they will live for. I hate to think that a horse has to pass away for me to have their space, but I don't take it then someone else will. She said that she is very fussy about the type of person that she takes because the atmostphere is so nice and everyone gets on so well. She said that she had had several people enquire recently but thinks that I would fit in best so has put me to the top of the list. I really hope that I get a place there, it would make all my dreams come true. I have waited 34 years to have my own horse and I hope that I can keep him here.

That sounds lovely MP (though not the part about a horse having to die before you get a spot).

That sounds ideal. Totally agree with your choice and that the full livery option at the other yard would result in you being unhappy as you would not be able to care for your horse and would become "just a rider".

Let's hope it all works out :smile:

Fingers crossed for you, sounds ideal. :cloud9: I waited 43 years for my own hosss, thats counting the year I was born as well, lol!!!

Don't forget a lot of people on here like horsey shopping, so when the time comes :wink:

newrider.com