I have a new horse and need more information on how to get Registered pappers?

Kate 05501

Oct 13, 2004
Garson, Ontario
Visit site
I still have my Diego. My friend was going to look at Quarter Horse. She bought it. The lady who owns the ranch saves horses from death and find new homes. The lady let me look at some horses and I saw my little girl. My friend had to get horse trailer to get her horse. The lady said I could try her when we came back. So she was saddled up and I road her. I knew I wanted her. She don't spook and she is good on trails. I wanted horse to get over my fears. While back it was winter time I went riding with a friend and I lost control and know I'm scard to trott. Last summer I was trotting with Sue. I was getting better and not so scared. Sue had a baby so I couldn't ride her this summer. So I am back to wear I was.
My horse is Standardbred and is a mare. I named her Robin and she is Chestnut. Robin is 13 year old and 15-3 hands. I use a bucket to get to the sirups. Robin is easy to ride and I love both my horses.
I have couple of questions:
1, I found out from Robin tattoo in her mouth that she is registered and her name is Lota Lovin and her tattoo is MN7283 and the owner was Brenda J Walker(C31595) in Owen Sound, Ontario. How do you find more information on Robin and the old owner?
2, Does anybody owen a Standardbred?
3, Does any of your horses have hard time eating grain? Robin doesn't chew her food. I think because she was starved to death and never knew where the next meal was. Robin eats her grain and spits it back up. Would biger chunks of food would help?
4, Robin is skinny what will help put the weight? I am giving hay and grain.

Kate 05501 and the gang

In answer to your first question about finding out about Robin's registration, have you tried locating the previous owner and talking to her. Some registries will give you contact details of registered owners.

If Robin is having difficulty chewing her food, and she is also suffering weight loss, it would propbably be worth having her teeth checked out.

My QH mare came to me with the same problem of not being able to chew her food and dropping food while she was trying to eat. She was also very skinny. I got the vet out to check her teeth and he found hooks on her back teeth that had torn her cheeks to ribbons, she also had a wave mouth (that is when the teeth have worn unevenly). After her teeth were done and I wormed her she was able to eat and chew her food properly which aided digestion and she put on weight and gained condition. Her teeth are totally fixed now and I have her teeth checked every twelve months.

Hope I have helped.

Hi Kate, congratulations on your new girl! Robin sounds lovely :) I hope she helps bring back your confidence and that you soon enjoy riding out again.

If you go to the Standardbred Canada Association buyers' guide page, it says that every horse passing through its sale ring gets a freeze brand or tattoo:

For the convenience of the purchaser, all horses sold have been positively identified for parentage by DNA or blood-typing and have been freeze branded or tattooed.

Maybe Robin was originally sold this way? If so, the Association might be able to give you some more details, but you have to become a member for this:

It is very easy to check the past sales record of any horse at the Standardbred Canada head office. Our library is fully stocked and up to date with the latest and past Sales Results. Our website also houses past sales records.

I agree with willumau. If Robin is having difficulty chewing her grain, and is in poor condition, she most likely has teeth problems. Get your vet out to have a look at her quickly. You should also get her on a regular worming programme asap, as this is another common cause of weight loss.

If Robin is bolting her grain because she has been starved in the past, she won't be able to digest it properly and won't get any of the nutrients out of it. This is a bad habit that is hard to change. If you *have* to keep feeding grain, make sure it is top quality, and has been treated (cooked, crushed, or bruised etc) so that it is easy to digest. Feed a little at a time, perhaps 5 or 6 times a day if possible - at regular times so that she settles into a routine. Dampen the feed a bit with water, and put some large, smooth stones into the feed bowl. This will make her eat more slowly because she has to search round the stones to get the grain.

But the best option at the moment might be to switch to a totally fibre-based diet as this is easy to digest, keeps her warm and is easier to chew. Give her good quality hay to eat any time that she's not on grass (preferably a nice, soft hay), and try giving her regular small meals of:

Alfalfa chaff (high in quality protein, good for weight gain)
Soaked sugar beet, preferably un-molassed (makes the whole feed "sloppy" and easier to eat, high in fibre and minerals, good energy levels without making her behave silly)
Oil (Good for energy and weight gain, and puts a good shine on the coat)
A vitamin and mineral supplement (to make sure she's getting all the goodness that she needs)

But the first step is definitely your vet. Good luck Kate and let us know how you get on with Robin! :)

Thank you for all your help!

I forgot to tell you that Robin had a baby. The lady had to put the baby down. The baby was walking on it's ankle. If the baby went to the vet it might been save when it was born. The bad owner didn't care about the mares but wanted the baby's to sell. The lady who saved Robin said there wasn't much hay for her and her baby to eat. I hate people like that. I will have to contact the vet to see how much it would cost. I am still have to pay the lady $200.00 for her. I am on Disibility. So money little tight at the moment. I am working too. But my Hydro is costing me alot of money right know. I am writing to the Standardbred Canada for more information on my baby girl. Robin is starting to gain the weight back. When I feed her sometimes she is fine. I will put a little at a time to see if she will eat slower. Thank you for all your help.

Kate 05501 and the gang

newrider.com