I hate grass sickness

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Just heard yet another pony around our area has been struck with this, its just so awful. My fieldmate's clydesdale died in late 2009 - the first I'd ever heard of the disease after returning to horses. He was four years old, and it was all just so sudden. One morning we were hacking out together and the next I got a text to say he was gone. He'd lived there all his life, no history of EGS at the yard.

I moved my horse into that field. Maybe thats stupid and I'm constantly thinking about it but where else do we go? Its in the area all over. A new horse arrived in my old field. Two weeks later he developed grass sickness and was pts. I kept telling myself we're not in the risk category. My horse is 10, the clydesdale was 4. But the fresian that died was 14. But he had just moved to the area and was stressed. He had just been cut as well.
But then my mate's horse was struck down with something last summer that looked suspiciously EGS like. He's 15 and had lived there all his life. It almost seemed to wipe him out and my mate was seriously considering pts but he rallied at 6am in the morning after 12 hours of hell. We sat in the field with him all night. His immune system seemed all but depleted over the last few months but he's still here.

We went to a lecture on it given by the **** vet. He talked about horses having an immunity for a couple of years but then that goes - its all I can think about. At any minute I might go to my field and find my horse dying. I know I shouldn't concentrate on this but what the hell can we do? Our fields are next to phesants, we have marshland near by. The ground hasn't been disturbed lately. If you move your horse then you're putting them at increased risk because of the stress - I was scared sh!tless last year taking my flipo away for a week's holiday up to aberdeen. I spent that week and the subsequent month back home with my ear stuck to his stomach listening for tummy rumblings.

Its so frustrating. I remember the vet explaining everything they knew - the research they were conducting - but this seemed mainly to do with treatment of those who came down with chronic EGS. At the end they opened up to the floor for questions. Most wanted to talk about prevention. It quickly became apparent that they know practically nothing. Its terrifying.
Its scary that there's no one to blame for this either. How can we get annoyed at the scientists and vets that haven't found a cause or a cure? I just want to lash out at them though when they stand there shaking their head and saying 'we don't know, it might be ....':cry::stomp:

I feel helpless but at the same time stupid for keeping my horse where he is but I don't want to move him. Am I compromising his care? Am I doing the best for him? No one can tell me the answer and I'm not looking for those opinions here. My mate and I have been given permission to have sheep grazing with our horses for no additional livery charge. We just have to reinforce our fencing to protect them. We poo pick manually as mechanical uplift as been found to cause issues. I'm feeding him the best I can find to ensure his gut health. We're just fighting it the only way we know how.

I'm sorry for the vent I just need to go arggggghhhhh. I don't know how I would cope if I lost my horse and just knowing it could happen at any time scares the crap out of me. I'm sick of this, it just hangs over like a black cloud. I couldnt wait until winter last year for the belief that it would mean a respite from worrying. And now this case - it feels so early. It can happen at any time. :banghead::bomb::timebomb:

Oh FM, that is really awful. No wonder you experience angst, I know I would.

I don't even know what to hope for. So little seems to be known that any useful research on prevention must be a long way away. I'll just pray that Flipo stays safe.

I also hope and pray that Flipo stays safe and free from this terrible sickness.

I can't even begin to understand your anxiety as it is something that i know little about and never experienced.

Chin up hun {{hugs}} x

I rode my horse one morning and she was dead by midnight with grass sickness. She was 7 and i found her in the afternoon lying down and i couldnt get her up it was horiffic she got taken to the di ck vet but once i signed a form about insurance i knew i wasnt getting her back. I said goodbye and never seen her again. Its a bad experience to take an empty horsebox home for 2 hours. She was 7 and had been in the field for a few years but a couple of weeks before a new horse came into the field that no one told us about and my horse went crazy with it she was that stressed thats what i think caused it. The next day the horse had been removed from the field i was so angry at the time, i could never speak to them people again.

I am now still in the field but i am in charge of it now so there is no comings and goings . I regulary mow my field now with a tractor as well. I feel its good to try and keep something other than grass in their stomachs through out the whole year even using a mineral lick. Its just one of these things unfortunately try not let it rule your life.

I wouldn't be thinking about moving. I still have my 2 grazing in the field where bonnie contracted EGS. I've no choice, i will not move. We are very careful that we do not disturb the ground, harrowing and mechanical muck removal are a HUGE no no. We stable for part of the day aswell.

No-one has the answer, ESG is one of those things. Bonnie had been in a field with 2 horses struck by EGS. She was fine. We move then 2 years later EGS claims her life on land with no history of it. Bonnie was way out of the risk category, and i've a friend with an older mare who also lost her to EGS.

What i've learned is you can't live your life worrying. Be informed, take reasonable precautions and be aware of the symptoms.

Thank you guys, I think today I just had one of those reactions, I'm now feeling that I need to cherish every moment I've got him and I guess I already do that - hell I'd spend all my time with my horse if I was able! Its comforting somehow to hear others have stayed in the same field. Its just awful and I'm so sorry for both of your losses Laz and EB.
My mate ran a local show last year in aid of the EGS fund, and luckily we're doing it again this year. Its not much but anything that helps to fund the vets researching this awful disease.

Try not to worry too much FM,the only thing you can do is keep an eye on him & have heard that if they eat hay as well as grass it helps :unsure:. Many years ago I lost a four year old to grass sickness,hit like a freight trainin in 48hrs she went from a well fleshed horse to a skeleton & died.It seems to have come south over the years & think it's the stuff of nightmares personally.Do try not to make yourself ill over it :smile:

We have lost 3 to this horrible disease...contrary to popular belief it is not confined to Scotland but happens all over the UK. We have changed our grassland management..not longer sweep to poo-pick or harrow fields to avoid soil disturbance and keep grass less stressed by reducing horses per acre and keeping them off the fields in wet periods.

We have still got our horses on the same fields (our own) and just have to hope our changed management works.

newrider.com