I had my mare put to sleep im heartbroken.

Three Mares

Oct 23, 2007
I have my old mare put to sleep. I am absolutely devastated. She was 32 years old (I had her for 14 years). I went up to see her and she was suffering with colic and was flat out, the vet came and I made the decision to let her go. She had lost so much weight over the last few weeks, she had hardly any teeth and could not eat horsehage (had a dust allergy to hay) and the simple feeds were just not working. The vet said she was not strong enough to pull through as she could hardly walk and was in a lot of pain. It was just me, her and the vet but it was very quick using injection. I have never been through this before. It was over in seconds and my old lady was gone. I burried her in the field yesterday. I don't know how I am ever going to get over this. I got her from a rescue centre 14 years ago and rode her for a few years before I retired her. She spent her time in the same field with her best friend who is 24 (I have had her 21 years) and had a stress free life. I bought a new horse to ride in the autumn who is kept in the paddock nextdoor so she has company but is pinning for her and it is just ripping my heart out at the moment. All she has done since I burried her in the field is look for her.

Has anyone else had experience of this. When will she stop looking for her? This behaviour is heartwrenching. If anyone can offer any help if you have been through a similar thing I would be most grateful.

I dont have any advice I am afraid, but sorry to hear about your news.

Jenny and Tyler
x

Sorry to hear of your sad lost x

Only time will heal your broken heart, and that of your other horse. There will come a day when you dont get upset and you will smile and think of the good times with her. I know that is a long way off yet, but it will come!

Take care sweet xx

Its awful - you are trying to get over it and your horses are trying to make you keep remembering all the time. poor you.

The only healer is time, and it helps if they saw her dead and were able to sniff etc at her, dont know if they were able to. But time is all they need, you too I should think.

Be happy for her that you gave her a great life and were able to do the final service for her....

time will help your other mare. Did she see your other mares body? Sometimes this helps. When my boy went to sleep his wee buddy pinned. I spent hours upon hours with me, and we both helped each other through it and actually build up a really good bond.

So sorry for your lostxx

Hey, so sorry to hear your news, that's terrible. Sounds like sadly you had no other option though

Did you other mare see her body before she was buried? Sometimes this can help them come to terms and understand what's happended.

If not then don't worry, she will be ok - she'll just need lots of tlc until she moves on
(((hugs))) x x x x

Dont remember her as she was at the end. Remember her during the good times you had together. A colleague at one of the hospitals I used to to work at told me that when I had to have one of my cats put down.
Really sorry to hear your sad news.

My deepest condolences.

The other horse will start to get better over time. Right now she may be confused, if she didn't see the dead body.

RIP, old girl...

Thanks for your kind words everyone.

The other two were there when she was put down but they wandered off and started grazing afterwards. The worst thing is I had to keep her in the field over night as the digger was not available the same day so I covered her completely with rugs. I didn't sleep a wink as it was tipping it down with rain and I knew she was out there. So yes they saw her dead. I also think they may have seen the digger carrying her across the field the next day and I feel so guilty about that. Her best friend has been sniffing her poos so I have been clearing them today hoping that that may help. I did wonder whether she thinks that she has been moved away but why does she stand right on top of her grave when the field is 5 acres she must know she is there musn't she but then she looks over the other fields so i just dont know what she is thinking. She was lying down earlier today and has not grazed at all.

I am glad that I kept her until the very end. It is extremely difficult looking after an elderly horse but she was worth it but I miss her terribly.

I bought my cottage and land last July. There was an old cob here that I let stay for a while. They asked if it was ok as they thought that he wouldnt survive this Winter so wanted him to be pts in his familiar surroundings and comfort of his home. Captain and Old Boy became quite attached to each other even if it were only over the fence and for a couple of months. Twas sad when Old Boy was PTS. The horses watched and then carried on grazing. For days they seemed in very somber moods. They settled though. Tis like they mourn too so you just need to give your mares time. Loads of cuddles and talks from you their Mum will help. Your a great Mum so will help them through this just like you have done for the last 14yrs.

RIP old gal. Have fun at Rainbow Bridge with your new friends. :)

Oh this is so sad, and I admire you for looking after her until the very end. And being there, with the vet and the other horses too. You have done the very best thing. Your should have no regrets.

But lots and lots of hugs for missing her, and hoping time will heal the wounds quickly.

im so very sorry for your loss

i had my old boy PTS last year he was 38, we had had him from him being a baby,
when it was his time(he had liver cancer) i let the other 2 stay with him, he was left in the field for 2 days and 1 night, same as you couldnt get the digger any quicker,
the day after we buried him , my mare went stupid, screaming her head of, pacing, looking etc, just like yours, its there way of grieveing, we cry, they behave out of character, it takes time but your other horse will come to terms eventually
please feel free to PM me if you want to talk via MSN or phone, i know what a hard time your going through at the moment, my heart goes out to you

Hugs coming your way - in the past couple of years I have had my 33 year old first pony pts and lost my 3 year old mare totally unexpectedly (heart attack in the field).

My yearling was really bonded with the 3 yo - she was pawing the body to try to get her to get up. It has taken her a while to get over it - she has new field companions now, but is still a little insecure.

Look after yourself - it is hard, and you will find odd things set you off - Pm if you need to talk.

RIP Old Lady

So sorry about your loss... Truly I am... am wondering if it might help that you talk to the other horse, and perhpas have something of horse with her scent on it, so she could smell her, and you explain that she had to go....

It might not be any consolation just now but in time you may thank your lucky stars that you didnt bury your old girl immediately. I had my old girl pts 3 years ago and she was buried straight away however...... I still have huge guilt pangs that she might have still been alive when she went under and also her pair bond was not in the field so did not get the chance to see her go. The whole thing went far too quickly. I wont go into lots of detail as Ive posted before but just wanted you to feel better that you did the right thing and your other horse will probably be subdued for a while but will perk up eventually :)

I'm so so sorry. I know what its like having horses pining for each other.

My mare Jasmine lost her foal when she was 3 months old. Was one of the saddest days of my life, she was my dream foal, I named her little Shantih.
She was buried in the field. Jasmine searched for her and would always sniff the grave. The day after she was buried her brother Dougal walked over to the grave and sniffed it, then he wickered into the mound. I cried my eyes out. There is no doubt in my mind he knew she was there. His cousin was there too. (two foals were put to sleep due to them eating some poision the council put down for the rats we think)

They did get over it, but they all were looking for them for a few days.

R.I.P x x x x

newrider.com