I had a major freakout today!

Waikato Valuta

Aug 8, 2002
Australia
www.dreamwriters.org
I got out to the horse today to find a horse tangled in one of the fences. It was sitting down with all the weight of both back legs resting on a strand of wire which was wrapped around it's cannon bone.

I thought the leg might be broken or about to break and kind of freaked out, well on the inside.

I didn't want to leave the horse alone to run to the neighbours because he kept trying to move. Luckily I had someone coming out to ride with me so when they arrived a couple of minutes later I got them to hold him and keep him clam while I ran to the neighbour. I got him to come down with some wire cutters.

He wanted to try lifting the horse out of the wire and went to try but I told him NO! Probably a bit to loudly. I was worried that if he started trying to move the horse the leg would break. So he agreed to cut the wire.

Once the wire was cut he jumped to his feet. The wire was embedded in the skin but he kicked it away. He was only lame for a few minute while he walked sensation back into the leg. The wire cut wasn't too bad either.

I was so sure I was going to see him break a leg and I'm so relieved he didn't.

glad he is okay!

my lad was stuck in sheep fencing that hadnt been put up properly last summer..we didnt know it was there and if we did he wouldnt have gone into that field..the cut he got was so bad he needed 4 stitches and 11 weeks box rest but it could have been alot worse(the cut just missed his deep digital flexor, he was very lucky!)..YO didnt care, he didnt even ask if my lad was okay or even if i was okay as i was very upset and worried..(we moved from the yard very soon after the stitches were done..with vets help of course.) when i frst saw the cut it didnt look as bad as it actually was, there wasnt loads of blood but there was enough to completely cover the wound..he was stuck there for a number of hours! i felt so bad two days later when the vet came and had to re open the wound..he seemed fine at first but the next day he was just getting worse so the vet came out the day after that..i still feel bad today :(

wire can be so dangerous, i am glad the horse involved is okay! :D

Last edited:
Well done for getting the horse out ok! It's not easy under that kind of pressure to not panic and make it all worse, especially if you have to go "off-site" to fetch tools and the like. I hate wire fences, I'd have post and rails if I could afford them! With narrow gaps so no foot could get stuck through them. Ever.

newrider.com