I fell off :(

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
Talk about experiencing the highs and lows - went for a 3 hour hack through the woods this morning with a couple of friends. Amazing! Did loads of cantering, jumped a few logs, my Poppy was good as gold. Then we were on the lane back to the yard, literally 5 mins from home, and she spooked when a dog ran into her and took off and dropped her shoulder and I bloody well fell off! Gutted! I am soooo glad that my hat's a good fit as I whacked my head on the ground, but I rolled when I landed (I have a good instinct for survival!) so other than a skinned knee and finger, I seem to be fine. Got up, caught my horse, got back on, and I am hacking out tomorrow (so long as I can hold the reins - my right hand is really stiff now) because you have to get back in the saddle, right?! My Horsesmart protective jacket had arrived when I got home so I'll be wearing that out now anyway - still not convinced by body protectors, they're too stiff, or at least the one I've got is.) Tell me this kind of thing happens to everyone!

oh poo :( glad you're ok (don't forget to replace your hat!). Stupid dog!!!!!! (we got chased by one as well today, grrr!! useless owners half-arsedly calling out, pleading with large mutt to please come back ....)

I have two hats but do I def need to replace? It's a great hat! Can I not just check it over myself?

I would replace if you hit the ground with it. You can't really safely check hats as damage to the structure is not always visible. BEtter to be safe than sorry. KNow what you mean though, hats aren't cheap and it can be hard to find 'the one', only to then having to replace it :(

I would replace if you hit the ground with it. You can't really safely check hats as damage to the structure is not always visible. BEtter to be safe than sorry. KNow what you mean though, hats aren't cheap and it can be hard to find 'the one', only to then having to replace it :(

I'll just have to ride wearing my ugly one for the time being then - absolutely skinteroo right now. Turns out horses are expensive pets....who knew, eh? :wink:

Ouch! I would not wear the hat again if it hit the ground - wear your ugly one instead!lol As for Bps - yeah they are stiff, but I really do value mine - it's a Rodney Powell one and I wouldn't hack without it. Least the spook was caused by a dog and not just your horse being a giddy kipper or anything silly.

Sounds like you had a lovely time despite the fall lol. Yes it happens to all of us. At least you will be more prepared for that dog next time.

I seem to go through phases with falling off. I go for sometimes two or three years without coming off then sometimes come off every few days. Worst one was I fell of the same horse 3 times in about half an hour.

One of my horses I have had for 12 years and I have only ever fallen of her once....so far:unsure:

The other one I used to fall off on a regular basis when she was first backed, but these days I mostly know her quirks and can be prepared :smile:

I am backing the babe this year, so I am expecting a few knocks lol

Oh that makes me feel better - I know I am not the best horsewoman in the whole world but I'm never going to get better if I don't get out there and get on with it! My hands feel like swiss rolls right now but I'll get back on tomorrow if I can hold the reins! I didn't even see the dog as it came from behind - my friend riding behind said that was what spooked her, the first I knew of it was when we were cantering (and in my case, falling) off down a steep hill! I am getting to know Poppy's quirks anyway - dogs she's not a huge fan of, despite being an ex-hunter. The only other mini-spook on the entire 3 hour ride was at a dog. (That one was on a lead though.)

Tina - hopefully I am over my 'falling off phase' now and will now be OK for several years as this last 6 months, for whatever reasons, I've fallen off various horses at least 3 times!

I've been out over the shoulder at a spook too. I really impressed myself by not only keeping hold of the reins but doing a perfect forward roll and springing to my feet facing my horse. I don't know who was the most surprised - I think we both had similar expressions on our faces!

Nearly happened again last weekend - we were pottering along and I had my head in the clouds as usual when a couple of ducks flew out of the ditch next to us. Raf did an enormous spook and a spin and set off cantering in the opposite direction. It's so long since he's done anything like that I was completely taken unawares. Luckily for me my angel boy caught me and stopped as soon as he realised I was slipping off. He really doesn't like me to fall off. I know it's only a matter of time before the next one though ...

Glad you're ok - hope you manage to ride tomorrow.

Glad you are OK if a little sore now.

yeap time for a new hat once it has hit the ground it will crack and you will not be able to see it but the crack it what saved your head.

I think nothing of wearing my BP best bit if kit I have. I am not a nerves rider at all and have a bucker as well but I know that if the worse should happen I am as best prepared as I can be.

newrider.com