I fell off!!!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
What an ignoble fall it was. Of course I was minus my body protector (not that it would have helped lol)! Mr T was encouraging me to improve my jumping position this morning and after several rounds with shortened stirrups I thought "go for it" and popped over the jump. First time around it was plain sailing but for some reason on the second attempt, although I looked splendid going over, on the landing I went out of the side door..........
Poor Storm just stopped dead when I fell off bless her. She is so good. Just hope I didn't hurt her mouth, I should have left the rein behind, but I hung on a bit too long. Nothing hurt, just my neck a wee bit, according to OH I slithered off rather than fell! My neck feels a bit whip-lashed but I don't feel dizzy or sick or anything and I got back on and did a couple of laps in trot.
What a plonker I feel though - it was simply through not having a good enough seat in canter. Nothing Storm did - just my error!
Looks like I'll be spending some time on the lunge at the weekend, minus stirrups with Mr T teaching.........I NEED to get a better seat!!!
So any spare sympathy vibes most welcome, my neck feels stiff down one side..............sob..............

Sympathy vibes on the way! Poor you - but sounds like you're going to be OK and I'm glad it wasn't anything Storm did. Good for you, for getting back on right away.

Ouch - but when you are pushing your limits you can fall off so it is not really a bad thing its just a mistake you can learn from :wink:

ps
If your foot hit the ground first its a dismount.

Thanks guys! I have learnt from it, I definitely need more practice in the canter department!!
I sooooo wish I could afford proper lessons again, atm funds are so short, I am just grateful for keeping the horses etc - but least it is something I can look forward to.

ps
If your foot hit the ground first its a dismount.

Lol, I don't know if it did, but OH said it was more of a "slither" - he videoed me on the iphone but its really funny, cos you can see me coming over the jump and then landing and then I just disppear off the screen (phone was propped up on the fence!)
So cross with myself for being ill-prepared..........I really need more practice....

Lol well done Trewsers!! If you're anything like me, Later tonight you'll be getting a bit stiff, tomorrow you'll feel really stiff and then it will start to ease off on Sunday. I fell off on Tuesday and have been nursing a sore bahootie and a little bit of whiplash but it doesn't stop us eh?!!! Next time we want photographic evidence of this jumping malarky. Well done you!

Glad you are ok.

I fell off every other week when learning to jump. I stopped telling my other half as he thought it was madness. Pleased to say I generally manage to stay on nowa days, touch wood...:D

Hope your ok T. I fell off a few weeks ago jumping too, entirely my own fault as well! What numpties we are!!!

Have a nice warm bath tonight love x

Thanks for the sympathy guys! It didn't stop me munching a Maccy D's bacon roll on the way into work this morning.........lol will def have a warm bath tonight though............heheheheee

Nice hot bath with some comforting smellies in is called for! Bit of surprise when you are not a regular faller-offer, isn't it? You do feel a bit of a plonker......

Good Stormy though for stopping straight away. It will help that it wasn't anything silly she did - just one of those moments. Don't beat yourself up too much about a shaky seat - it can't be that bad, woman!

I ran too short of time to set my video camera up the a.m when having a chug round on Dave. Otherwise it would have cheered you up to end to see a truly dodgy canter seat in action!

Keep on jumping. There's an art to making you and she land together in the right order....................:giggle:

Lol, yes falling off is always a surprise!!!! hehehehehee - it all happens so fast.......
(Was just telling a non-horsey friend I'd come off this year, they automatically assumed I was doing ENORMOUS jumps - I didn't enlighten them as to it just being a tiddler.........hehehehehee)

I feel a bit stiff now, you know, a bit like when you've lifted something heavy and strained a muscle? Oh well, tis an excuse not to do much house-work over the weekend hehehehehee, Little Henry the hoover will just have to wait!

Sorry to hear that you fell off! It happens to us all.

For some reason I was cantering Ben last night with no stirups. When we came back to trot I almost bounced off the side! I guess developing your canter seat is all about practice, practice and more practice.

newrider.com