I fell off again!! and nearly got trampled

jo90

Dec 29, 2007
:eek: a few weeks ago I took my boy cross country jumpin around a local EC. we don't have much joy with coloured poles and tend to just hack out really but i knew that if we did the XC jumps behind another horse he would do it and the theory was that this would help me get my confidence and enable him to just follow without thinking or stressing out too much. Any way a `few' other people on yard heard we were going and tagged along for the day out. This is where it all went pear shaped!!! we ended up trying to jump too much too high and way too fast for my liking, i fell off and lost my bottle but the people I were with just wanted to keep going. In the end I was a wreck, shaking and very upset, it took me 4 days to get over it!!!

Anyway I learned from it--1. never ride with them again!
2. I can not jump in treeless saddle!!!!!!!

so I have purchased new leather saddle for jumpin went out on sunday on a hack with some good friends, who listen when I say im out of my depth. we all jumped a log and tried to jump it on way home. I was 2nd in a row of 4 My horse went to jump then didint then he did and i went flying!!! worse of all the other two atill had to come over me. I curled up in a ball waiting for the pain, one horse reared up and slammed her front feet either side of me, splitting my hat:eek: we all cried our eyes out it was soooo scary and now I feel at the lowest point ever. I have two small children, what if something had happened to me??? when I think about it I cry.I really love riding and would like to be able to jump up to 3 ft without falling off !! SHOULD I GIVE UP???? thanks for reading, sorry it was so long x x

OMG! :eek:

what a horrible day! :(
I think that experience would scare even the most fearless of riders!

If i was in your shoes i would take a little rest from jumping, then try again and maybe save up some money and book a lesson.
Dont give up though! :)

you dont have to be able to jump to enjoy your horse, i lost my nerve on my boy, and he is a gent, but now i have gone back to basics and just do the stuff i feel safe doing,
i hack on roads as he is bombproof but not open fields as he could take off!
i jump in a school but not in open spaces.
when you are a parent you have different priorities and you have to make sure you are safe!!
Good Luck, take some time and get your confidence back, and well done for trying, i wouldn't even try but i am a baby

oh gosh that sounds scary! :eek: glad you're ok.

No, don't give up! Definitely not :) If thats something you want to do then by all means do it.
You could do as Tally said and take a break, but try not to build it up to this big thing - what happened on sunday really won't happen every time! It was just one of those nasty accidents :)

Why not look into taking jumping lessons on a riding school horse? That way you could practice over poles that fall down, on a well practiced horse and get your confidence up again? Then you could take lessons on your own boy and get his confidence up too?

Best of luck :) Hope it all works out! xxx

Ah thanks guys! i rode him again tonight for the first time, my heart was in my mouth and i had to sing to myself i was so scared:eek: he was brilliant though, we dont normally ride in the school but have taken your advice and am going right back to basics and have booked some lessons too, I will Not give up x x x x x

newrider.com