I Feel Useless!

toohorsemad

Victor's Mummy
Oct 1, 2004
Ireland
I have been riding since october 2003 and I love riding and horses! And my dad is buying me my own pony for my birthday! I moved riding school about 2 months ago and my instuctor move me up on saturday so when I when for my new more advanced lesson I really got a shock! I was on Mash (which I wasn't really happy about!) and all of them were in 3rd year like me but they were really experienced unlike me! We did loads of stuff and when we just cantered around to warm up the horses and ponies, I went on the wrong leg! It just got worst from there! We did jumping next (not Mashs and my strong point!) and we did the most twisty course ever! Not only that but I seen loads of really big horses do the turns and get a clear round! When Mash and I did it we looked like fools! I really felt sick! A girl reasured me and said that Mash is a real handful but I knew she was just being nice cause her pony was taking off the whole time and she still got him to clear the course! I feel really crap! I really wanted to get to ride horses but I know I have to be able to handle ponies first! Does anyone have any advice or something to help cause I'm on a drowner! :(

Firstly, don't ever feel useless.. Because you aren't. Not everyone progresses at the same rate as others. Just because you are all in your thirdy year of riding does NOT mean you are necessarily all at the same level. I'm sure, if you had the time, you'd find that there is SOMETHING to do with horses that you do better than most of the others you ride with.

Give this lesson group another try, it could be just that you aren't used to it, or that you or the pony, or even both, were just having an off day. If the class still feels like it may be too much for you, then there's no shame in that at all! Ask your trainer to move you down a class. Just because you take longer to learn doesn't mean you won't soon be just as good or better than those that progress faster.

Keep your chin up, hun, and don't get too discouraged. Also, is there any way you can take a few private lessons, to build up your confidence a bit more, especially with jumping, and then get added back into the group lesson?

Er, and one more thing: you may find that the girl who reassured you wasn't only "being nice"...many times, we feel that we've done much worse than we really have :)

Toohorsemad - I am easily the worst rider in my group, but that's OK, because, as I keep reminding myself - it's not a competition. I know it's really hard not to measure yourself against other folks but you shouldn't, you should measure your progress against how you rode when you started - then I think you will be very pleased with your riding :)

I am sure you have learned loads since you started, and unlike me I am sure you will continue to get better and better.

Also don't fall for this "ponies are easier than horses" line - I know lots of folk with 16hh+s who wouldn't dare go near the fizzy ponies.

Cheer up - I bet you've come a long way and have a lot further to go ;)

Jin

Jinete789 said:
Also don't fall for this "ponies are easier than horses" line - I know lots of folk with 16hh+s who wouldn't dare go near the fizzy ponies.

Cheer up - I bet you've come a long way and have a lot further to go ;)

Jin

Echo that - Ponies can be a handful. Horses I find are in general easier to handle riding wise, but harder on the ground.

It does not matter that you got the wrong leg or weren't the best in the showjumping round - If I had a penny for every time I've done something like that I would be rich. Remember some ponies are harder to get on the right lead anyway ;)

Please don't feel down or beat yourself up about it- We all have bad days, and good days. It translates into riding as well. Keep having lessons, and get yourself prepared for that new pony on your birthday!

Thanks guys! I feel a little bit better now! I have never been in such an advanced lesson before and I kind of got a shock when Jennifer said that I would be well able for it! Anyway all I can do is my best! :eek:

newrider.com