I feel terrible after incident tonight

dancing lucy

May 23, 2008
stalybridge
I feel really bad after my cob gelding booted out with both barrels

Basically there is an old man on our yard he and his wife have 3 horses, dont ride just bring in, feed and put back out he does have problems with his legs, feet etc always saying how hard it is to carry on but still does

They let their 3 out of the field each night and take 2 of them round to the other side of the farm to their stables and come back for the third after about 5 mins, sometimes bit of a pain as the one left will wander round the yard and tries to get into stables and tack rooms. Tonight same happened but i was in the field shouting my 3, as my cob came to the gate I let him out and he ran to his stable only about 5 yards from gate but unfortunately there was the 3rd horse already in his stable they both started booting out at each other and squealing I didnt attempt to go in but grabbed the bucket of food and my horse then came out. i waited till the man came round and told him his horse was in my stable he went in and put its halter on and brought him out but as he came out mine spotted him and bucked at him but he missed the horse and got the old man knocking him to the ground. He was quite badly hurt his leg swelled up and his arms all cut from the gravel and his glasses broke, I was so worried I got him sat up and offered to take him to hospital which he refused so i got him to his car as he was very shaken I offered to drive him home but again wouldnt let me. I still feel bad about this even though I dont think my horse was entirely to blame as they should keep their horse out of other stables dreading going up tomorow as everyone will be moaning about mine and saying what a danger he is but he never kicks out I let my grandchildren in the stable with him and I wouldnt risk them he didnt intend to get the man it was the other gelding he was after.
Sorry for the moan Im just upset by the incident

Its a horrible feeling when one of you nags actually manage to hurt someone, no matter how accidental it is.

Try not to beat yourself up, a loose horse on the yard is just an accident waiting to happen, not much you could do to prevent it really. I would imagine that the poor old fellah will be a bit more careful about letting his horse roam around unattended in future.:frown:

Very upsetting but perhaps shows why all horse owners should do basic first aid courses. Your YO/YM should never have let him drive off with a swelling leg and nice as you were it may have not been a good idea to sit him up.

Not trying to be mean but just concerned that no one seemed to be able to take control.

Not your horses fault and a freak accident but a short First Aid course for someone on the yard could make a big difference in any other accidents.

my hubby is saying the same that it was just an unfortunate accident and horses can be unpredictable, I have phoned to check how he is and his wife says he is badly shook up and bruised she doesnt drive so I offered to pick her up tomorow night if he is not able to drive dont know what else I can do

That is horses, and frankly, letting horses wander around is never a good idea - not only can it lead to incidents like yours, but equally, the horse could have got out on a road, got tangled up in wire etc.

I think we are all aware that accidents can and do happen around horses.

My horse bit my friend badly in the field - around feeding. He doesn't like her anyway, but feed seemed to bring out the worst in him, and usually does with horses.

Am sorry for him and you. Not your fault, it is actually a bit his fault, but I am sure all done with the best of intentions.

I think it was a bit of everyone to blame really.

I let my horses in and out of the fields but they are the only ones there. and when there were others here they were in the field with mine and they all came in and went out at the same time so no issues.

I wouldn't dream of it on a yard though with other people's horses, and other people around.

As much as your horse is good and usually goes into his stable, there's always the chance somehting could spook them and send them running off and maybe knocking someone over, you just don't know.

This also stands for the old man and his horse, had he not let his horse come in loose then this wouldnt' have happened.

Personally if the stable is only 5 yards away from the field then it woudnt' have taken you any time at all to lead him in and then you would have known the horse was in there and this would have all been avoided.

If I was the YO/YM you would have all have been told you were in the wrong.

Hope the old man is ok and everyone learns from this.

I don't think horses should be wandering around loose either, even if it is only a few yards.

Hope the old man is OK. I'd maybe get him a bunch of flowers/some chocs and a card and try to smooth things over, you don't want yard tension.

Just an unfortunate accident, but letting them wander is a recipe for disaster - no matter how good they normally are. Our pair wander on our little yard, but not unsupervised and not together - in winter if turnout is limited and of an evening, one will be in the school whilst the other "helps" me with the mucking out! Never two together loose as one would inevitably try and get into the other's box and kick out or squish me!
Hope the old guy is okay. And yes, I agree first aid is essential - St John's ambulance used to run courses - don't know if they still do? I did mine years ago with them, but of course I could probably do with an update as things change.

I am pretty bad then, my 8 come in loose and put themselves to bed and all go into their own stables.

The three donkeys who share toddle in, Tintin goes to his own, and the equines go in mainly to the right box. I occasionally have to eject a non resident but generally they go in to their stables correctly.

For me, that is safer than trying to catch each horse at a gateway and bringing it in single handed when they are all bunching and wanting to come in.

If for any reason they are yarded, I close the doors, so they are only on the yard and cannot get into the stables and no one can be cornered and intimidated. The donkeys I leave the doors open for and they mooch around all the stables. I don't trust the horses to do that so I close doors if they are on the yard and leave the little paddock gate open so they can go in there.

I am pretty bad then, my 8 come in loose and put themselves to bed and all go into their own stables.

The three donkeys who share toddle in, Tintin goes to his own, and the equines go in mainly to the right box. I occasionally have to eject a non resident but generally they go in to their stables correctly.

For me, that is safer than trying to catch each horse at a gateway and bringing it in single handed when they are all bunching and wanting to come in.

If for any reason they are yarded, I close the doors, so they are only on the yard and cannot get into the stables and no one can be cornered and intimidated. The donkeys I leave the doors open for and they mooch around all the stables. I don't trust the horses to do that so I close doors if they are on the yard and leave the little paddock gate open so they can go in there.

Yes, it would be safer for me too rather than having them all hang about at the gateway - I just know with our two mares they don't get on that well, and if they get into a fairly confined space all hell can let loose!:frown:
And yes, if the stable doors are closed then that reduces the risk of them trying to pile in. I remember I made the error once of leaving Storm and Joe to come in when they lived in the front paddock - oh dear. Storm was determined to get into his box and I was leading him and ended up being backed into a corner of his stable with her following in hot pursuit. I guess my horse handling skills are not up to that - I do tend to play it safer these days - either that or I just have horses that do the opposite of what I want!lol:giggle:

If it's your own horses and land then I don't see the problem. We used to always let the horses run down for their dinner/bed, but everyone (horses and people) know the routine.

Loose horses around bringing in time with mixed liveries is a no-no and I'm afraid the man is a bigger portion to blame about this. Especially if the horses can wander around into other stables. I'd be cross about that, but it probably raises my hackles a slightly more as I have issues with this previously in that a livery used to let her third horse follow behind and it would continually get to the feed bins and/or any dinner that I had left soaking hidden as best as I could. I'd have put the horses medicine in it to come down after I had brought him from the field to be presented with a horses backside eating his dinner :stomp: She would always laugh off it. Funny how I after I explained the medicine could in fact make her horse really ill she suddenly found enough energy to do two trips and control her other horse. :mad:

I hope the old man is OK but I do think both parties are to blame, Unless on your own land with no other liveries what you do is up to you. How ever horse loss on a yard is just an accident waiting to happen.

I do hope he is not to sore this morning

I agree both to blame and I do feel really bad I couldnt sleep last night thinking how much worse this could have been, as others have said it is safer to let mine out as he blocks the gate for others and wont move if he sees or hears me, he never goes in anyone elses stable and if I had know that the loose horse was around I would have kept him in the field till he had been taken away it was unfortunate that he had wandered into the stable. Both myself and my daughter have first aid certificates from St Johns which we use at work therefore I didnt let the man get up before I checked that nothing was broken. We dont have a YM as such on our farm just the old farmer and I went round to tell him what had happened he did say that old couple should only take horses out of field when they are ready to take them to their own stables not let them wander but these things happen I am just grateful he is okay albeit bit battered and bruised I am going to pick his wife up tonight to take her to farm and then drop her back home

How awful for you, and I hope the man's not feeling too bashed around today, bless him.

I'm another one who hates horses loose around the yard, and come quite close to losing my rag at people who open the gates from field and yard to allow their horses to wander in with no restraint. My mantra where horses are concerned is "You just don't know". The one time out of a hundred is once to often if something goes wrong.

There's a large horse on our yard who will get away from whoever's leading him on occasion and even though he'll walk nicely back to his stable, it's not right, specially when the general attitude is that it's one of his quirks and he's always done it and it's fine.

Well, excuse me, it's NOT fine, and if he'd been corrected the first few times he did it, it wouldn't be happening now, and we wouldn't all have to get out of his way and leave him to it!

I agree both to blame and I do feel really bad I couldnt sleep last night thinking how much worse this could have been, as others have said it is safer to let mine out as he blocks the gate for others and wont move if he sees or hears me, he never goes in anyone elses stable and if I had know that the loose horse was around I would have kept him in the field till he had been taken away it was unfortunate that he had wandered into the stable. Both myself and my daughter have first aid certificates from St Johns which we use at work therefore I didnt let the man get up before I checked that nothing was broken. We dont have a YM as such on our farm just the old farmer and I went round to tell him what had happened he did say that old couple should only take horses out of field when they are ready to take them to their own stables not let them wander but these things happen I am just grateful he is okay albeit bit battered and bruised I am going to pick his wife up tonight to take her to farm and then drop her back home

So just lead yours in? Still gets him out of the way of the gate, if your boy I blocking the gate for everyone else because he can see or hear you then your first job when you get there should be to either get him in or be willing to hold him out of the way for others to enable them to get their horses out of the field.

My yard is set up in a way there isn't a yard to come on to as such, it's just a series of fields if you like with the barn at one end with a square patch of grass securely fenced. As mine don't have stables to come into letting mine in is just basically moving their fields really. If there was a yard with barns, stables etc then I wouldn't be letting them in loose, all 4 of them will lead nicely together, or at least in pairs.

I just find the idea of letting any horse in loose on an actual livery yard a bit daft no matter how sensible your horse normally is.

I know you feel really bad and I am not trying to make you feel any worse but I do not think its fault on both parties to the accident, the events leading up to it yes but why was your horse not on a head collar by then?

When you discovered the two horses fighting in the stable you say you took the bucket out of the stable and your horse came out. At that point why did you not put the horse on a headcollar? Then your horse, even though he spotted the other horse coming out, could not kick at anyone, let alone the old man.

The accident didnt happen because the horse was in the stable, it lead up to the accident but once you got your horse out he should be on a headcollar and then you would have been able to control your horse whilst the old man got his horse out.

I hope the old man is OK but I do think both parties are to blame, Unless on your own land with no other liveries what you do is up to you.

Do agree with that to, but I think the man is more in the wrong for leaving his horse loose AND unsupervised. Hope hes ok though !

newrider.com