I don't think they've really thought this through...

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
So the wife of someone I work with rode as a child and a few times as an adult. She can trot, canter and jump ( so I have been told) but has never owned, shared or looked after a horse.
She has been offered a TB on loan and has taken it for a month.
It will be kept in the next door but one neighbours field, to which the only access is via their drive...
Is there any shelter? No.
So it will have to live out all year round ( if she keeps it) . ' it will be ok with a 'coat' on '
How will you get water to the field! ' I hadn't thought of that'
What happens if its lashing down when the farrier comes? 'We will only get the farrier out in good weather'
Where are you going to keep the tack, feed, grooming kit? 'No idea'
Where are you going to dry wet rugs, cos they will stink your house out' I hadn't thought of that'
What if your wife is ill? Or if you are on holiday? 'I suppose she will ask her friend to look after it'

They live fairly close to a couple of livery yards but his wife wants this horse nearby so she doesn't have to drive to it.
I can't see the loan going on into Winter

Being honest is leave myself out of it. You have raised the questions and been quite bluntly shown they don't want your Input.

I'd walk away before you get involved as you will end up looking after it :(

Bit slack on the person loaning the horse out not to have checked she is capable? If she really hasn't thought it through and genuinely does not know the answers. Lets hope the horse does not suffer and that someone can help her or guide her at least.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Erm, lots of folk cope without running water, shelters, storage on site.
I wouldn't be judging just on those points but I appreciate you think them a little naive. I think a lot of folk appear to jump into horse ownership with very little thought for the long term. They only respond to their immediate urge to own and then lose interest. That bugs me cause it's a living breathing animal who deserves to not be treated like a car that can be bought and sold at a moments decision. But then that's my opinion.
I usually judge those who buy youngsters when they are clearly not capable but horses aren't rocket science and some of us have jumped in at the deep end and not done too badly .

(we'll just ignore the ten falls, retraining of my horse and a&e trip ).

Well, it will be a baptism of fire for them! They may cope or they may not. TBH - starting with horses really is a baptism of fire for anyone, personally I chose to go with the experience of a livery yard but even so, it was a STEEP learning curve becoming a horse owner for the first time at 38! Will the horse be on its own or does someone more experienced have a horse in the same field?

My Aunt rescued some Dartmoor pony foals. No clue what she was doing and knew nothing about horses. Just kept them in a field next to her house. She has muddled through ok so far. Though she is a bit of a hippy and sees them as 'free spirits' who should never be 'broken' whereas I think they would be happier with a job! But they seem happy enough and they have gone from totally wild to very well mannered and friendly.

Sorry Flipo's Mum, didn't mean to offend and suggest it was a bad set up in that way. By shelter I meant trees or hedges not just stable/ field shelter. The horse will be leaving a herd of 6/7 and moving into a fenced field on its own with just sheep for company.
I was pointing out all the negative things to my colleague who knows nothing about horses and it surprised me what he hadn't considered.
When I took on my pony I sat my non horsey husband down and told him all the negative aspects so he knew what he was getting into because I knew how much it would affect his life too.
I have done my bit and will keep out of it now unless asked.
Luckily they live 2 hours from me so I won't end up looking after it

Oh dinnae apologise I wasn't offended. I appreciate the thought is that they have jumped in too soon. Just pointing out in my usual Devils advocate style, that those things can be overcome by those willing. But they have to be willing. Just hope the horse is ok.

Sorry Flipo's Mum, didn't mean to offend and suggest it was a bad set up in that way. By shelter I meant trees or hedges not just stable/ field shelter. The horse will be leaving a herd of 6/7 and moving into a fenced field on its own with just sheep for company.
I was pointing out all the negative things to my colleague who knows nothing about horses and it surprised me what he hadn't considered.
When I took on my pony I sat my non horsey husband down and told him all the negative aspects so he knew what he was getting into because I knew how much it would affect his life too.
I have done my bit and will keep out of it now unless asked.
Luckily they live 2 hours from me so I won't end up looking after it

Seems a shame the horse will be kept alone with just sheep after living with other horses.

newrider.com