I dont like sharing!

Sofi P

Jan 2, 2008
Solihull
My boyfriend is staying at mine for a few days as he has nowhere to live at the moment (long story why and since he's not putting much energy in to looking for somewhere else to live I have a horrible feeling he might be staying for a while!)

Now dont get me wrong, I love having him around and hopefully we'll be moving in together at some point in the future... BUT, I am so sick of him eating all my food! Even though I said 'help yourself' I didnt quite mean to everything!

And since he doesnt have his car with him I now cant drink before we go out later as we need to drive, he has knocked back 4 cans and I cant have anything, it's not fair!

Is living with boys always this annoying??!! hehe, in his defence he is doing all the cooking for the duration of his stay... so I guess it's not all bad!

I've been living with my boyfriend for a year and a half now (first time co-habiting) and yes boys can be annoying!! We live in a tiny 1-bed flat as well so it gets messy really easily. He is good and does try but there seem to be things that they just don't 'see' i.e. overflowing bins/laundry baskets, stubble left in the bath, toilet roll needing replacing, food going off and needing to be binned, stuff they have just taken out of its usual place and then abandoned somewhere random (weighing scales in the lounge this morning??)... but in this year and a half he's got pretty good at cooking and always does the Tesco shop so can't really complain :)

Men are supposedly 'goal-driven' whereas women are 'process-driven'... so don't bother telling him how much something cost, just tell him how much he owes you for it :D

Given my orientation i cant say much about living with men but it doesnt sound too disimilar to living with a woman!
The concept of housework or any kind of tidying up is beyond my partner! The fact that your shoes are sticking to the floor would not prompt her to think it need cleaning! I think she thinks we have housework fairies as it is always done by the time she gets up!
I am also expected to know where everything is regardless of if she was the last one who had it!
As for cooking - dont get me started! It is much less hassle if i do it myself otherwise i get questioned at every step!
One good thing is she doesnt drink at all so i can always have a tipple and not worry about who is driving!

I've learnt over the 3 years me and my OH have been living together that he will do stuff around the kitchen if he sees it (so dishes, ocasionally sides and floor) but bathroom and general messiness in the living room is not seen. I've also learnt to basically clean on a day we both have off, and even if he's still asleep, he gets 'saved' jobs that I don't like (mopping the floors, hoovering and cleaning the hob usually) or asking him to empty bin etc. So long as he gets asked he doesnt seem to mind doing it, he just doesn't 'see' most of it in the first place. All I can say is just ask him to do specific jobs (and they have to be specific lol).

My OH is really annoying to live with but i am very independant and love my own company. The farting really gets on my nerves but he doesn have his good points, like mucking out the horses etc when i'm not well.

He doesn't cook, wash or iron though which is really really annoying! Should have expected it really from a spoilt only child. :rolleyes:

see I've lived with friends for years, and you get to know which things are to be shared (like bread, toilet roll, ketchup, salt, vinegar, squash etc) and which things are NOT shared...

but OH seems to think that he can help himself to anything, even stuff that isnt actually mine (live with two other housemates who are away at the moment)

Should we ever move in together in the future I have decided that we will need a two bedroom flat at the least, a boys room is essential so I get my lounge back!

I am about to get my revenge by getting the vacuum out while he's trying to watch a film... I might wait until the best bit before starting! hehe

I felt a bit bad after my comments yesterday - got back from seeing the share horse (was gone nearly 5 hours) and my partner had hoovered and cleaned the kitchen! I was so surprised i was nearly speechless! The housework fairy has had a day off!!!

awwww, I guess that makes it all ok!

In defence of my boyf, he is currently in the kitchen cooking our sunday roast while I'm watching football in the lounge - under the thumb or what?! I've told him he can make as much mess at he likes while cooking and I will wash up without complaining at all, in return for him coming to the farm earlier and 'helping' (by helping read chatting to a guy about guns and whinging about it being cold!)

Anyone got any suggestions on how I can train him to turn off lights when he's not in a room??!!

Given my orientation i cant say much about living with men but it doesnt sound too disimilar to living with a woman!
The concept of housework or any kind of tidying up is beyond my partner! The fact that your shoes are sticking to the floor would not prompt her to think it need cleaning! I think she thinks we have housework fairies as it is always done by the time she gets up!

I am so upset! I always had a reserve plan to swing the other way if it didn't work out with my OH. After several partners you realise they're all still blokes. Only hope was to start trying to like girls.... and now you have shattered my ignorant views. Will need to rethink...

Maybe I could become the crazy cat lady with a couple of horses thrown in for good measure ;)

I felt a bit bad after my comments yesterday - got back from seeing the share horse (was gone nearly 5 hours) and my partner had hoovered and cleaned the kitchen! I was so surprised i was nearly speechless! The housework fairy has had a day off!!!

:D Hoaray! Maybe my plan is still on then? Blokes would never clean a kitchen.

I cant fault my oh... he cooks, cleans, helps me out in every way he can:D
The only thing he won't do is help me at the yard, well, sometimes he'll fill up the water buckets or help me empty the wheel barrow, oh, and he recently helped move a roll of haylage, but that's it.
He tells me that mucking out two horses is more than enough to do in a day, he's quite happy to handle the house work, after all, he spent the last 12 years before we met doing this him self..
I do help out when I can, he's just so stuck in his ways:rolleyes:

newrider.com