I can't tell you how angry i am - am i in the wrong here?

Palomino Mare

Jan 22, 2007
As some of you may know Jerry was in the vet school from monday to tuesday.

on saturday a horse was brought in and by sunday they found it had strangles and put it on quarentine. jerry came into the vet school 24hours AFTER the horse was quarentined and in mine and the vets eyes in no danger.

I was told this on monday night and immediately left a message with the YM. I heard nothing back so assumed they werent bothered.

We brought jerry back last night at 8.30pm and no one was around so i wrote in the diary for him to be on full livery today - as always on a wednesday as i cant get up and to put him on isolation if they feel the need, if not turn him out.

A voicemail was left on my phone at 8.30am today by YO asking me to call back with info on the stangles which i did at 9am and left a message. i then texted YM to tell them to check the phone messages.

I then hear that YM is going round the yard saying that theyve been trying to get a hold of me all day and that i'm not responding and that they have not touched my horse all day - so therefore he's been left in a boiling hot day with no hay or water.

I called my OH and he went and gave him some water - at 2pm - and asked if they could give him hay, god knows if they have as they are refusing to go in his stable.

I then get a call at 4.30 from YM saying that "they've" been trying to get a hold of me all day - but i stopped her in her tracks as no the damn havent - and told me that jerry has to leave the yard ASAP and go out "up the hill" for 1week. firstly they are forgetting that i cant get up tonight and also i have no bloomin idea where they're on about! all work on teh yard fins at 5pm so why cant they take him up after that?

I also expect my name in is dirt at the yard now for "brining strangles onto the yard". maybe i could of called last night and double checked that it was ok to bring him back but why did they wait until 4.30pm tonight to tell me this - especially when i had informed them on MONDAY- and where and when is it right to leave a horse without food and water?

well done if you got to the end of that!

I would tell them to F*** Off quite literally.

If he didnt have direct nose to nose contact with the horse in question so hes not gonna get it or carry it!!!!

Some people are just pratts and should be treated as such!!!!

Poor Jerry!!!!!

Nikki xxxx

This obviously highlights their ignorance towards Strangles sadly. And IMHO doesnt make a good YO when they have no idea on how to control strangles or prepare if something is suspected with Strangles. :rolleyes:

My pony has had strangles, so I think you could say I have experience with this as I have been through it twice.

First time, new yard, already had 7 cases, put our ponies in the stables of the horses that had had strangles and in their turnout paddock (individual turnout) WITHOUT CLEANING THE STABLES OR PADDOCK FROM THE PREVIOUS STRANGLES OCCUPANTS that had left the yard.

Within 5 days one of mine was down with strangles and laminitis. We put a notice on the door and were told to take it down as they didnt want anyone to know. The owner had been hunting all the way through this and telling the other hunters that some had a runny nose.

We moved yard again 6 weeks later when he was out of quarantine.

The new yard we moved to we were at for 7 months then they had an outbreak again brought by the yard owners hunters (coincidence he hunted with the same group as the previous yards hunters).

My pony did not get it for a further 4 months, and then suddenly got it at the end of everyones quarantine. It was a Friday night and the YO said there is a show next week and we dont want the yard back in quarantine, so you have 3 hours to move the pony, put it down, or take it out onto the street and walk around with it. He had laminitis again and couldnt walk. We had all been 2 weeks previously for a yard meeting at which they decided to make a quarantine block of 3 stables and small patch of grass. But decided to throw him off the yard instead of using the quarantine stables.

We luckily found somewhere that had no horses and was empty and moved him in the 3 hours. One of the yard staff used his truck and someone else lent us a trailer. They were all shocked as all the other horses had just been put out in a field for their quarantine and we were being treated like this.

Neither of these two yards told anyone on the yard when the first cases were diagnosed and tried to hide it. Neither of them bought any foot dip (vercon) util a week before the end of the quarantine. Everyone was trapsing around the yard, from infected stables and fields, and no cleaning was done till the end!!!

Everyone walked all over the hayroom getting hay and haylage, with unwashed boots stepping on hay and putting it in haynets?????

So even if your horse has not had nose to nose contact YOU CAN GET IT. It lives for up to 5 years in wet and cold conditions. If you have old haylage in a field, covering the germs, it can be moved a year later, to expose germs underneath!!!!

The second yard didnt even clean the communal water troughs in the fields!!!

So I am afraid if your horse was on the yard at the same time as the ill one, their is a possibility that he could have it. I would turn yours out in a field on his own for a week and wait to see if he developes symptoms in 7 to 10 days just to be on the safe side. I can understand the yard owners paranoia, but I also agree that this is the time when YO can be very bitchy, unsympathetic etc. You will have loads of owners at each others throats saying who gave it to who.

Feel terribly sorry for you as I have been through this and was faced with having to shoot him, if I couldnt find another place to go in 3 hours!!!

Good luck

Everyone gets a bit edgy at the word Strangles. Surely your Vet knows Jerry is kept on a yard and wouldnt send him home if there were any risk to the other horses:confused: Could you not get the Vet to contact your YM to clarify the risks etc.:)

If he didnt have direct nose to nose contact with the horse in question so hes not gonna get it or carry it!!!!

Poor Jerry!!!!!

Nikki xxxx

Here, here!!

I couldn't have put it better myself!

Thats a wee shame. Hope Jerry is ok now. I think everyone is just a bit touchy about strangles at the mo.

However, I can relate. I 've left loads of messages before and noones got back to me atall.

Er, not to mention that we are "up the hill" - but obviously our horses don't count :rolleyes:

I am losing patience with the yard, really I am. Trying to get a box for J when the vet said it was an emergency - YM said YO was away for the day and would call me tomorrow - what was it about "an emergency" that wasn't clear?

Did they learn nothing from the last strangles (obviously not...) :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed Jerry will be fine - it really does take fairly clear contact to get it, i.e. nose to nose or sharing drinking troughs - or bad hygiene from staff which you would hope not to find in the vet hospital. Here's hoping for you, you don't need this on top of everything else :)

Poor Jerry!!!!!

Nikki xxxx

I second this post what idiots some people are

I can't rell you how angry I am - am I in the wring here?

I can understand why the yard is in a panic, as strangles can be a pretty nasty business, but the attitudes again, I'm very sad to say, about anything which upsets what they always think of as their perfect little half of heaven, is to be expected on some yards.

Along with other rider/owners, I realised a long time ago that, unbelievably, some yard owners don't really care about the welfare of the horses, if it means extra vigilence, or any kind of change or disruption for them, and any sensitivity towards the liveries' anxiety just isn't there.

They are not all like that of course and there are some very caring, sensitive and professional yard owners around - it just takes a bit of time to find them.

I really feel for you, and hope all works out well.

Roseanne xxx

thanks guys, i'm so glad you dont think i'm being totally unreasonable!

YO was actually fine with me and i have managed to identify the YM as teh source of the problem here - spreading word like wildfire and running up to liveries as they get out their car "dont touch jerry, the vet school has strangles":rolleyes::rolleyes:

infact i was told there was a bit of a hoo-ha over feed time - as jerrys box is next to the feed room they were nervous of going over to get the buckets:rolleyes:

i have informed every livery on the yard of the situation and they thanked me for my honesty and said if he gets it he gets it - **** happens!

i actually think he had greater chance of getting colic through starvation and dehydration than contracting strangles.

Cappalldubh - your field is the only "up the hill" i know of and i knew that wouldnt be the right field - thankfully YO's daughter walked up with me and a companion pony. he's in the field opposite yours at the back of the gallop field if you fancy a visit - obviously cant touch him though - LOL;)

Some people just seem to be annoying and ignorant on purpose.
Just take a deep breath and count to ten is my advice. Hopefully you can resolve the situation with you getting what you want?

he's in the field opposite yours at the back of the gallop field if you fancy a visit - obviously cant touch him though - LOL
Ach poor Jerry all on his own :( I was riding in there earlier... it has plenty of grass.

I will go and say hello tomorrow am (I've done the strangles thing and I'm not afraid :D and I have disposable gloves ;)).

ETA, reread and he is not on his own, good stuff - so he is better off than on the yard getting the cold shoulder :)
ETA ETA four of the six in ours have had the strangles in the last two years anyway, so probably have the best immunity around ;)

Last edited:
ETA ETA four of the six in ours have had the strangles in the last two years anyway, so probably have the best immunity around ;)[/QUOTE]

Sorry capaldubh - beg to differ there. Mine got it twice on two different yards, and no he is not a carrier he was checked for that.

There are over 30 different strains as it is just like the common cold with lots of varieties.

The vaccine now off the market, only covers 4 of the strains, so if they are exposed to another strain they can get it again.

After going through this twice, I now believe it is just like a bad cold/flu and if you dont get too many bad abcesses or Bastard strangles, you normally come out ok.

In a herd of 300 rescue horses I once helped with, only quarter got it and only one died so it is not as bad as people think. (Most of the time)

It is the behaviour of the owners and yard managers which is the worst part of this!!!

newrider.com