i cant believe this is happening :'(

WeeBarraxO

May 20, 2008
Glasgow
My external harddrive has packed in, the harddrive ALL of my photography was backed up on, i only just deleted it all off my laptop last night, i may be able to get some of it recovered but it is going to cost hundred :cry:, i am having a total nervous break down, being sick and cant even think of eating, can hardly breath :cry:

check the laptop deleted items/trash and see if your pictures are still there. Also there is free software that will undelete items from your laptop. I used one to recover most of the pictures from a holiday I deleted by accident. I will have a look and get you the name if you need it.

Free image recovery will get mist back from laptop. What's up with the external. You might just be able to rip out the hdd and use a new mount.

Is it absolutely necessary Maria?

I appreciate it's frustrating - I've lost documents before that took me ages to get up & running and had to start from scratch. I know it feels they're lost forever but unless they're very specific, i.e. photos you took for somebody's wedding and cannot be taken again, is it possible to just learn the lesson and start again?

Can any pictures from photo shoots you have done be retaken? If you're honest with people & say you've had a hard drive failure most people would understand & would be happy to have you back again.

I always go a bit OTT back things up 3-4 times as I fear this happening! I hate that dreaded feeling. I hope you manage to get somethign sussed.

That's a lot of money - try phoning another company to compare prices:frown:

its because they are going to have to take the thing apart in a dust free room and do it bit by tiny bit :cry:

Is it absolutely necessary Maria?

I appreciate it's frustrating - I've lost documents before that took me ages to get up & running and had to start from scratch. I know it feels they're lost forever but unless they're very specific, i.e. photos you took for somebody's wedding and cannot be taken again, is it possible to just learn the lesson and start again?

Can any pictures from photo shoots you have done be retaken? If you're honest with people & say you've had a hard drive failure most people would understand & would be happy to have you back again.

I always go a bit OTT back things up 3-4 times as I fear this happening! I hate that dreaded feeling. I hope you manage to get somethign sussed.

that is something I was thinking of doing, (redoing some photoshoots), by friday I will know just hw much I have lost, as some stuff was only wiped from my laptop last night, so it is away to try and recover as much as they can from that, the only things that can't be reshoot is the two shows I done, but noone has ordered any photos from them and one of the shows was away back in June (that show had another tog there anyway), most people have just stolen them and put them on fb :)banghead:),

yeah I have well and truley learnt my lesson now everything will be getting backed up 3-4 times on different things :frown:

I am sick with worry, I hate letting people down, and I am scared incase it will ruin my reputation for the rest of my career :cry:

No it won't - promise! Plus you don't need to go shouting from the rooftops what you've done - just keep it to a select few!! In a few weeks you'll look back and laugh about it (in a strange way!) BUT the important thing is that you learn from it. Same with protecting your photos with your copywrite image. It's all part of the learning curve; you can't learn from mistakes if you don't make any!

You'll find a lot of businesses, especially one-man-bands and independent companies, have gone bankrupt (some more than once!) but more often than not they all bounce back - so a hard drive failure most definitely will not be the end of your photography career :happy:

I deffinately have half of your photos on my laptop & I should be able to get the other half back, but it may take a little while, though if I can't I can reschedule another shoot with you free of charge

Glad I got a few but I wanted to buy more from you. Decided I havent enough pics up in the house!
Fingers crossed. What about the ones on your website or are they just little images? Excuse my technical ignorance!

Can you do a system restore on your laptop. If you restore to the last save point hopefully that will be fairly recently and you can recover the deleted pics? Got to be worth a try?

For future reference I use skydive to store copies of all my documents and pics - doesn't clog up my laptop, accessible from any PC anywhere and this particular one is run by Microsoft so not about to go out of business or have servers down. There are loads of other storage sites too.

Glad I got a few but I wanted to buy more from you. Decided I havent enough pics up in the house!
Fingers crossed. What about the ones on your website or are they just little images? Excuse my technical ignorance!

they are smaller images with the copyright on them, they could be printed/sent as jpegs, but wouldn't be able to be as big as the originals I may have lost, but as I say I should hopefully be able to get them back, but if not I can come up to take some more photos for you :)

Can you do a system restore on your laptop. If you restore to the last save point hopefully that will be fairly recently and you can recover the deleted pics? Got to be worth a try?

its a macbook pro I use which makes it all the harder to restore my files, but as I say they should be able to restore at least some of them, then I will see about getting the harddrive done too, though I will need to find the money for it first

For future reference I use skydive to store copies of all my documents and pics - doesn't clog up my laptop, accessible from any PC anywhere and this particular one is run by Microsoft so not about to go out of business or have servers down. There are loads of other storage sites too.

I actually have dropbox which I am now going to start using more for backing up files :help:

Use an online website as well to store photos, you can keep them private as well so they can't be taken, sites such as photobucket work well.

newrider.com