I cannot believe what we have achieved, wonderful wonderful NH

K

Kate&TheHerd

sORRY this is long and possible boring to some but you do knot know how much heartache has lifted!! I need to tell you, I am so so proud of my girl.

Well, miracles do happen. A long with a lot of time and effort :D About a year and a half ago a got my girl, apparently she loaded well. After having her for a while, I decided to take her out in the box. No go, she would not go in. Rather than letting me get on with my girl, a few so called 'experienced people' took over. They were making her trot into the box, having a long lunge whip on the corner, trying to make her go in. To cut a long story short, she paniced in the box and ended going through the jockey door, unharmed in anyway, just mentally.

I cried and cried, said I would never try and get her in the box again. My xc childhood dreams ruined.

I NEVER THOUGHT SHE WOULD GO IN A BOX EVER AGAIN, and I wasnt planning on taking her near one.

As life goes on, we cross peoples paths. One was a lady called Karen Thursfield, met through a friend who was in hospital. She is a NH lady. Never tried this 'funny stuff' I thought, but she came over. I was petrified. My girl would not go anywhere near the box. she was also petrified becase of what they had done and I feel so ashamed I let them do it and I did not stop them.

After a few sessions getting the basic ground working, we were at this stage:

However, if the box moved to a new place, she would not go near it. Again, we faced issues but we delt with them. Not long after, we were eventually going on very short journeys, up the road. I would only do this with Karen there as I did not feel safe doing it on my own. The next problem came! When we arrived at the new place, she was hesitent to go back in. I tried once on my own and could not do it so I had to walk home. Again, confidence lowered, facing yet more issues and I am trying to to get frustrated. Heres me with Karen, trying on a different day. We have unloaded and in a new location:

Back home with Karen and nearly loading herself:

I had Karen out in July, so thats been on off for 5 months. Its been hard work and I am not saying we are totally there BUT the other day, I loaded her totally on my own, drove 10 mins, unloaded, rode up a lane for 10 mins reloaded and drove 10 mins back. SHE WAS AN ABSOLUTE SUPERSTAR!!! straight in both times, no hesitation. I played the squeeze game a couple of times but SHE WAS FANTASTIC!!!! I never thought this would happen. NH has changed mine and my girls life. I am still yet to take her to a busy show and reload, but we will get there. I feel so much more closer to my girl, the trust and the bond and I feel a lot confident but I know there are still trials ahead. The heartache, the tears, the moments of feeling petrified about what she will do, were all worth it.

This has just made me cry thinking about where we have come, the lessons we have learnt and how proud I am of my girl. Big thanks go to karen www.horsewyse.co.uk for changing our lives around. NH is the way forward.

My girls, thank you for all you're teaching me, I love you both

22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats just fabulous and you should be proud of yourself and your girl.

I have had Karen out myself and can totally vouch for how she works.

I am delighted that you can now move ahead.

Gx

Thank you all, I am so so proud. We have moved yards now as well, so its just me and my girls. I think that makes a big difference too.

Well, I still don't feel 100% confident yet travelling her as far as to my nearest xc on my own. I am sure I will be fine, but I can only cope with 10 min journies at the mo! Otherwise I get worried then so will my girl. Karen will sort that she is out again this weekend!

We only made it to the good xc course (Chyverton) once-our first and only time SO FAR! This was before 'the incident'. Here are the pics from then. We will be out there soon, competing in xc, its been my dream for as long as I can remember :rolleyes: I have ridden youngsters and problem horses for as long as I can remember, this is my first 'good' horse I can ever have any hope of doing xc on, so I will get there!! One day............

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-2copy.jpg

Flying :D

Untitled-7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
well done:D:D

you can do xc now!! (esp. now its a new year so you have spring and summer!!):D

oh yes, how tru how true new year new beginnings. How exciting. I am glad I can share all of this with you all :D

wow that's great :) congrats.

I found the vids really interesting! What's happening in the last one where she is waving the rope at her neck? it's like shes using reverse psychology (i'm prombably completely wrong haha)

Method acting - she is swinging it towards her left shoulder to make her take a step to the right to line her up straight, there is anothr one above that where the same method is used to line up her quarters.(on the right side I think).

Well done for achieving all that slowly and at her speed, you can see there is no stress there.

I hate seeing people with whips and ropes round the bum shouting, smacking etc to get them in when if they take there time and accustome the horse to the object/situation they will cure the problem for ever.:D

Brilliant :) Too many people have the wrong idea of what it's all about, it isn't about being soft or fluffy, it's about presenting things to the horse in a fair and understandable way, and the results speak for themselves.

Method acting - she is swinging it towards her left shoulder to make her take a step to the right to line her up straight, there is anothr one above that where the same method is used to line up her quarters.(on the right side I think).

Thats right, its to swing her bum around without me/Karen moving our feet and letting her do the work.

Yess, all true we let her do it at her own pace. No force at all, not whipping nothing.

Well done K8 Doran!

I know exactly how you feel. I too have cried, both through frustration and then relief when things started to turn round. Your persistance has paid off big time. :D:D:D

NH rocks!!

newrider.com