I am SO angry and frustrated *warning: serious vent*

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
At our previous tenants. Apologies people but I need to blow off some steam.

I mentioned before before about the mess our tenants left our home in. We wrote our letter with a quote for damages, just over £2k excluding VAT, and they replied saying after seeking legal advice (oh legal advice my fat arse) they only agree to let us have their full deposit £895.

The work we have had done to our home totals just shy of £2k SO FAR... and it's not finished. Poor OH is nearly having a break down over it as he hates confrontation/arguing and just wants it over with.

I keep swaying between taking them to court and just being done with it. It's easy to say go to small claims but unless you're actually the one going through it, it's hard to make that decision and be confident we'll come out of it well (and not worse off). We're proposing they pay us £500 on top of their deposit to then have matters dealt with, I'm just waiting for a call back from the letting agent to discuss.

Grrrr, it's SO unfair (I know that makes me sound like I'm 8!) but who the hell thinks they can behave in this manner, wreck our home, and just get away with it? :banghead:

I feel your pain, my mum is going through the same. She had tenants in for 6 months and they made a right mess.

Really hope you get what you deserve back and come out the other side soon. Are you getting much support from the letting agent? Surely it should be partly their responsibility?

The letting agents aren't really interested and are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard as apparently they can't take sides.

What gets me is that OH paid them each month and they supposedly did checks on the tenants/house while they were there to make sure it was being looked after and didn't pick up on ANY of it. Now the smaller damage I can understand, but the fact that they had a dog (which I believe they hid when they went round) that p!ssed all over the utility room, and it ruined some of the doors, should have been noted.

OH is going to write a letter to the MD to vent his disappointment after it's all finished with.

I'd be so tempted to find out where they've moved to and shove a load of rubbish through their letter box!! :smug:

I hate people that just do whatever they please and have no thought to the consequences of their actions on other people! The way they left your house was just gross!

I'd be inclined to call citizens advice and get a bit of legal help just to see how feasable it would be to get your money back if you took them to court?

I can only imagine how frustrating it is!!

Have a large glass (maybe bottle) of wine!! :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to call citizens advice and get a bit of legal help just to see how feasable it would be to get your money back if you took them to court?

I happen to be working with a lady tomorrow evening who volunteers at the CAB so I shall be having lengthy discussions with her! I even called to make sure she is definitely on the rota for tomorrow :giggle:

I'm not surprised you are furious I'd be livid as well. Can't you go to a national newspaper (The Sun?) and name and shame them? As for the letting agent not getting involved - how despicable - I mean what do you pay them for if they can't even deal with a dispute :stomp: am angry for you and hope you get your money back.

I've spoken to the letting agent - he wasn't much help. He thinks going to court is a waste of time as it costs £150 to set up the court papers and so on... and for money above that of the deposit he said it's not usually worthwhile.

What really got me riled up was when he was trying to talk over the top of me before I'd even finished my sentence so I got the point of saying "wait, just stop talking over me and listen to what I have to say please". Grrrr, I really think that is SO rude to do that to somebody.

He thinks the chances of us getting more is slim, which I don't necessary think is untrue, but I'd like to say that we at least tried to get justice for what we deserve. Not sure that'll involve court but most likely another letter.

Even if he thinks that, it costs nothing to send off to small claims court for the papers. So whether you are prepared to go to small claims court or not I would call their bluff.

I personally would get the paperwork through and then do an official sounding covering letter and copies of the bills previous tennants a certain number of days to pay and stating that if you don;t get payment you will be filing these with the court. It's only when you file them with the court that it costs.

Sometimes this may be enough to get a response so it's worth a punt whether or not you intend to take things that far.

Last edited:
I would be contacting the MD of the letting agent now not when its all sorted. They took their cut of the money and had responsibilities to uphold in doing so. They need a good kick up the arse. If its a ltd company you can find directors via companies house website.

I would give them the option of you seeking the funds through the agent (court) and they can recover the funds via the old tennat or they work with you on the matter. Sound like a bunch of con merchants !!

regarding court it could work, I have dont it and it paid off, however if these people have no money you will have to pay extra for the ccj, bailifts and attachemnt of earnings. Depends how badly you want what could be £1 a week ?

I would get a solicitors letter drawn up for the old tennant and the agents. they are both as bad as each other.

I too would hold the letting agents responsible. They will obviously try and prevent you from taking the matter further because it is in their best interests to shut you up. I would be on the phone/sending letters and e mails and arranging a meeting with the MD to get them to sort it out for you. Cititzens advice will be able to help.

Hi,

Feel for you hun, however, having bitter experience of similar situation, I wouldn't bother with court, you will win, but costs for court plus solicitor etc will see you way out of pocket.
OH and myself did similar out of principle as our tenant not only left a mess but also left us £3k owed in rent by the time we finally got him evicted.
We won the court case but as a result are being trickle fed a paltry £200 a month from said tenant and out of pocket ourselves to the tune of over £2k if your owed approx £2k in repair costs you will win but again you'll have no control over repayment stratey or time frame, our ex tenant simply told the court he couln't afford to pay us back, produced a spread sheet of his income and outgoings and said he was only working 3 days a week, the court will act on information given, there is no research or background checks it's simply acase of your word against your tenants, from my opinion the law seems to wholly protect the tenant, not the landlord, it disgusts me!
As for your letting agent, not sure where you stand, they will probaby say all was fine when they went round, am assuming you have a managed let with them? Might be easier in future to just do tenant find and manage it youself if you can.

If you have photographs you could make a case otherwise its your word against theirs.

We have plenty of photos!!!! As do the letting agent, it's about the only thing they've done right - the girl who did the check out (who is new to the company) did a brilliant job.

I spoke to a colleague on Saturday night who used to volunteer at our local CAB. While she doesn't any more, she is VERY au fait with the system, having taken many of her own tenants through small claims. She was a massive abundance of help and feels we have a watertight & very strong case. We'll probably contact the CAB again to see about court proceedings AFTER we have gotten our deposit back.

And apparently it only costs £80 to set up the court papers, not £150 like the stupid, rude man at the letting agent told me... :devil:

I think its worth going to small claims. You can do it all on line if you like. There is a website (sorry, haven't got the link) but you'll find lots of helpful info on there. I always think its worth doing (we have done it a few times for business purposes) and even if you only get a bit of money back at least you've got some of it. Small claims isn't scary either - have been a few times, not like "proper" court as such so don't be put off.

newrider.com