I am ranting big time....rant...rant...rant....

joey_olop

I Love My Olops!!!!!
Jul 15, 2003
Sunny Slough!!
Visit site
Stupid, interferring people down my yard I am so ****** off :mad:

A few days ago stupid woman from the yard said to me why are you not leaving a brekfast out for Flaire. We are not feeding Flaire at the moment as she has had 3 laminitis scares this year & is extremely overweight. She gets 2 full soaked haynets everyday which she is doing well & happy with. Now Flaire is the most placid pony I know. She is never stressy & is so calm & peaceful she has no malice & wouldnt ever dream of being naughty. This woman rekons when the brekfasts are being given out in the morning she goes mad. Kicking the doors, charging at the door & generally being a nuisance which I couldnt believe.

Saturday & Sunday I went down to watch the breakfasts being given out. No sign of Flaire at the door, she was still munching on her haynets on both days.

Yesterday YO is waiting for me. "Why the f****** hell are you not giving brekfast to the mare?? I am not paying for broken doors because you cant be bothered to feed her" I explain she is on a diet & that I have been down when breakfasts are being given out & she is fine. To his reply was "I dont F****** care feed the mare or get off my yard" :eek:

I am shocked. I am now definately moving off this yard, after all the trouble I had with stealing at my old yard Im now getting interferring little busy bodies telling me what I can & cant do with my own horse.

These people dont do anything with there horse's. They shoe them, feed them massive buckets of feed twice a day & they think I should be doing the same. One of the girls even went as low to say Im being cruel by not feeding :mad: :eek:

Im so mad right now, I just want my babies of that yard now. Am I over-reacting?? Ive never had so much trouble with horse's in all my life until I got my own. Ive worked at some really top yards in my time & never seen any of this trouble apart from when I get my own.

All I want to do is enjoy my horse's its my hobby & I want to have fun with them, but just cant seem to :(

Sorry for the essay need to get this off my chest.

Joey, I know it may seem wierd but did you act angrily when he confronted you? If not then I would move off the yard asap, if you did snap go back and appologise and see if you can come to a solution that suits the both of you as well as allowing your horses health to be a priority

no, i don't think you are over reacting. I think you are being a sensible horse owner, particularly since flaire has had some laminitis scares. From my experiences, livery yards are horrid places and i will never use one again. Is there anywhere you could move to? or even rent your own place?

No I didnt act angrily, I just explained the situation, YO is one for just speaking his mind.

Im on the look out now for some more places, pref on my own. Like you said Eventerbabe livery yards are horrible places & in a way I wish I had never got horse because I would never have to experience this & see the way people really are :(

Geez that is out of line ... I think you're right to want to move, unless there are good reasons to stay (good husbandry, school, hacking, etc) ... Maybe a compromise is possible; e.g. a tiny handful of speedibeet or some chopped carrots so that it looks like she is getting a breakfast but isn't really getting anything too nutritional? It depends on whether you can find a better yard for her or not!

TBH, I've been in a similar situation, my fat pony wasn't given a breakfast & tea, but I still left a bucket out for her, with a chopped carrot, and a sprinkle of chaff ~ I felt it just made it easier for who ever was feeding, and also for pony not to get left out

You've either got two choices, Leave & find new yard (think carefully, don't jump from frying pan into fire) or swallow it, and give the pony a breakfast.

good luck with your decision, keep us posted xx

No you're not overreacting. None of the other owners should be interfering with the way you care for your own horse, and the YO was totally out of order talking to you - a PAYING CUSTOMER - like that. I know its not that easy to find good yards, but it doesn't sound like this is a good one anyway! If it was me I'd be out of there asap.

I don't think you are overreacting, particularly if you have checked and she isn't causing a problem. Is there any damage to the door that the YO can use to prove she is an issue? If not, I don't see YO has a leg to stand on.

So sorry you are having this issue when you had the problems on the other yard too.

I feel so lucky with my yard - I am on full livery so YO feeds all at once but she is just lovely and it is only a small yard (7 horses including YO's) and I have not had any interference from any other owners.

Oh my god :eek:

I know the yard your on and the yard owner so i do sympathise!!! as long as flaires not behaving like a raving loony (which im sure she isnt) there is no need for you to a leave a feed just to please them. Its so unfair down livery yards we have a dilema on ours at the minute (will PM you).

Its a difficult time of year to start looking for spaces on yards, see if you can come to some sort of agreement if not keep your eye for somewhere on your own. We dont have any spaces on ours at the minute.

keep your head up, ignore those other ravving made horse owners!!!;)

x

Thats terrible. Our horses are never given a breakfast and they are all fine. They get plenty to eat in the field. The only time my daughters pony would get a morning feed is if she has a big show that day. But I think if they were given a feed every morning they would be so fat.

And this is why i like having my horses at home!! :D

But seriously, i've kept my horses in several different livery yards in the past and never had any problems like this!!! Is this a new thing or was i just lucky??? I would be so angry if people messed with my horses or started telling me what i should and shouldnt be doing!!!

Are there any fields you could rent locally?? I have my two in a field down the road from my house. They are left completely alone except for someone checking their fences daily (i do this also but the owner likes to check all of the fencing) and also having their water filled up. The people who keep their horses in the other fields will come over and talk to them (i've encouraged them to as Una needs to meet lots of people) but they certainly wouldnt feed them or tell me what to do with them... My advice, try and find a field to rent for yourself or with a friend if they're very expensive. Livery yards sound very unpleasant places now..

Trouble with half these big livery yards is you have too many 'experts', half of which know nothing. But you would expect the YO to know SOMETHING about horses and be a bit more sympathetic to one suffering or at potential risk of laminitis.

You either have to 'play the game' with these morons, in which case they think they were 'right' when they most definitely are wrong or you have to look around for somewhere more suitable and more 'intune' with a horses needs.

Best of luck

I think you should definately leave.
They might even go so far as to start feeding your horse themselves, and that might bring her lami back on!
They sound like horrible, idiotic people anyway!

If you find you have to stay, can you get your vet to talk to the YO so at least he understands why you are not feeding breakfast and that you have taken medical advice?

I'd also want to see proof of the damaged stable door, I'm sure you know your horse well enough to know if they are likely to go bonkers like that.

just had a thought, you could try the sticky hay trick.... (Although we called it 'Lami Pony Feed')

We had a couple of lami prone ponies who didn't like being left out of dinner time so we used to cut up hay like chaff with scissors and add enough water to make it sticky and a bit of garlic powder to make it it taste abit different and volla you have a tasty bucket for a happy pony thats not going to kill the carfuly laid out diet!!

I know exactly how you feel i put up with it for a year! The best thing i ever did was move off. I had 3 horses but only 2 stables (was paying for 3 btw) which meant 1 horse had to be out all the time. I once got told to put my horse out in the field but i didn't want to because someone was coming looking at her the next day so i left her in, which really annoyed my YO. I came up the next morning to find her in the stable but covered head to toe in mud ad was informed off one of the other liveries that as soon as i had left the yard she had put her in the field which was the last straw!
Even if she was going mad you can't just feed her because of that if it;s going to make her ill then it just can't be done.
Move off if you can was best thing i ever did! :D
My dads favourite saying is theres nout as queer as horse folk haha he said he's discovered a new race of people since i started riding :p

i had this same problem with a livery yard which is the exact reason i keep my horses on my own in a field with stables near my house. Best move i ever made. Means DIY is very much that but i like it:)

I found my old YO thought i was 'cruel' for my pony (not bothered) not getting breakfast or....wait for it .....tea either! oh and when she was lame they also thought i was cruel for stabling her in case it was lami.

It got to the point where they were also taking her grazing muzzle off when she was in the field because they ;refused to see my pony illtreated:mad:

I moved admittedly but before i did i found several mag cut outs to do with lami and information sheets and gave them to the YO so they could "update their knowledge on horses!";)

Move if you can...you will never be happy at a unhappy yard.

I must say i have also had good expeiences with other livery yards but unfortunately only with ones above my budget!! (£50 a week DIY was getting a bit pricy)

I am SO much happier now i am on my own though.

newrider.com