I am quitting riding

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
For a few years while I lose some weight...I think Melody is struggling with my weight. and I am going to look for a LW rider for some gentle hacking for her. In the mean time I am going to carry on losing weight and get fitter till Glennie is ready to be brought into work.

I will have the odd plod on Mels to keep me sane as I lose weight. I have thought long and hard about this and I know I am making the right descision for Melody. I will give her a home always as she has been the most fantastic mare to to give me confidence in so many areas together.

we did out first show together, my first ridden Concours class together. confidence to hack her out. the odd lesson and we have had a whale of a time ... Who ever gets to ride Melody come spring will have the most fabulous confidence giver to ride and hack on.... yes I will be slightly jealous..... but I will have some great Memories :D

I'm sad to hear you decided this now just as you got back out hacking, but I applaud your responsible attitude to mel's and whats best for her :) I hope you can find a jockey to keep her ticking over as watching her own weight will help her too :p

Oh what a shame. I understand why you have decided to do this for the sake of your horse, but riding is a great way to get fit and lose weight. Can you not loan out Melody but get something bigger on loan for yourself?

Reactions: Native Lover
I am happy to wait for Glennie to be mature enough and for me to lose my weight. I have spoken to Melodys ex owner and told her my plans re Melody, and she is happy to.

I am not going to rush Glennie to being ridden she wont be backed till she is around 5 years old and mature. If something to loan for a few years turns up then fine but if not. I can have lessons once my weight is under control. Preparing for riding in a few years time :)

I honour your decision. Please let us know how you get on with your weight loss: my friend/groom Carol is very, very overweight and is always saying "When I lose the weight I will ride..." and never getting anywhere. If there's any secret to success I'd love to share it with her.

Such a thoughtful owner, wish there were more like you. You always come across as very determined so I'm sure you will achieve your goals and be riding again when you feel ready.

I dont know how old you are. I agree that one should not ride any horse for which one is too heavy.

But my experience is that riding is what has kept my weight pretty steady. I am more likely to gain weight when not riding.

My experience too is that what makes me able to ride, is riding pretty regularly. I can now go for a month without riding or 2 months after my operation, but the older one is the harder it is to resume riding after a break. So here I am in my late 70s still riding while my friends who rode all their lives have given up.

Riding is risky - I accept that and would never persuade anyone to ride who was not enjoying it. But it is also very good for older and less mobile people - So if you do intend to ride again on your younger horse, I would suggest finding some way of staying in the saddle thro a share or a loan. On a horse that can carry your weight.

Weight and age of horse are not everything - I was able to ride both Maisie and my share when they were old or less than 100% fit because my weight was below their limit. But when it went up after my operation, YO said it was still fine for me to ride my share as I didnt ask much of her. We pottered about. I have always taken the view that if I am in need of a fast hack, I can find another horse to ride.

Jane asks about incentive. Wanting to ride Maisie in her final years did prompt me to lose weight. And also Mary P writing about Ben and keeping his weight down. So many people I know have had native horses with laminitis and I would say to myself, if you were a horse, I wouldnt let you eat so much. But Maisie is dead. The horses I ride now are well able to carry my weight and I have put on some weight which needs shifting. I dont practise what I preach. And I dont feel optimistic about your plan to give up riding and also lose weight,

I actually wouldn't be quitting while you have gained confidence.
I would be carrying on with lunging, longreining and leading out inhand.
If you totally stop doing everything you will be posting in a few years about lost confidence again.

Reactions: orbvalley
I'm the same as you and haven't ridden my horse for a few years due to my weight. No way was I parting with him though and he does pony rides for my daughter and we drive instead. He has taken to it like a duck to water :D

Meanwhile I have joined WW (again!) and taking it seriously this time. Losing weight is hard but we'll get there :)

Would getting her broken to drive & learning yourself be another way of keeping her exercised? Realistically it shouldn't take you years to lose the weight, how much are you talking about?! And isn't she a chunky native? Don't underestimate what they can carry, my sec D isn't a heavy example of the breed but he has no issues with carrying me. Just be careful that you aren't using your weight as an excuse not to ride, because once you stop the chances are you'll find it a lot harder to start again - a better plan would be diet & exercise for both of you, and part of your exercise to be getting her fitter so she's more capable of carrying you.

But I thought you were taking her on a pony holiday and joining the riding club?
Don't aim too high wifey. I've set a goal of a stone off to start with and see how we're doing then. (If I do ever get to ride again, at the moment there's no telling if my horse will be sound enough to do so).
Maybe just stick to short half hour little rides and see how you get on. To give up entirely would be a crush to your confidence.

I wanted to do all them things but I went on a couple of rides and a lesson and shes lame its my fault I realise I am not going to be able to do the stuff I aim for... your right about don't aim to high. That's what I was doing..... setting impossible targets for us. Now I am hoping to lose a stone to 5 stone.... long time to lose it though. I realise it might take my confidence down but her being lame on my lesson dropped me further than I have been before in hating myself and my body.

Right. Well when she's better, the two of you get out and about in hand. Walk her, heck try some long reining if you get the confidence. Be determined woman. The walking will do wonders for both weight and your confidence in each other. Don't wallow mrs. You need to be strong. You can do this. Just take baby steps. (And I need to take my own bloody advice so sorry for being all tough love with you!!)

I am planning walking inhand hacks till I drop the weight.. I don't know how to long rein unfortunately. Driving isn't an option as I have nowhere safe at the farm to store a carriage it would just get stolen. I am being strong that's why I am stopping riding till I drop the weight.I lost 3 stone the other year just have to be motivated again, I know I can do it.

Book a lesson with your instructor to teach you to longrein. Fence a little area off if you are worried.
I love it you can do all things you do in the saddle.
She could even help you with Summer who was taking off. It's something that is worth knowing.

And after a couple of weeks of in hand or long reining then get back on. 20 minute walk rides 6 days a week, a brisk walk not a pootle. After a couple of weeks up it to half hours. Then up again. Don't underestimate the power of a good walk to build up muscle & strength - or 3 months of that and you'll have a very different horse. After a couple of months start adding in trot. And a couple of months after that you'll probably both be capable of a lesson with no problems & the whole summer in front of you to enjoy. And remember not to feed her extra for the work, the less weight she's carrying & the fitter she is the easier it is for her to carry you!

Reactions: Native Lover
newrider.com